last meal

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i was reading a news report about the guy on death row who tried to get out of execution by claiming he was too obese for successful execution. http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/14/toofat.execution/index.html
it struck me as i was reading about the last meal -

"Ohio does not serve a "last meal," as death-row inmates are given the opportunity to eat breakfast before a scheduled execution, Carson told CNN. But on Monday night, she said, Cooey ate a "special meal" consisting of a T-bone steak, hash browns, french fries, four eggs over easy, onion rings, four pieces of toast, a pint of Rocky Road ice cream, Mountain Dew and bear claw pastries. He did not eat breakfast Tuesday, Carson said."

that this is so odd to me. why offer a last meal to someone who's about to die? is food really that comforting across the board that it's a big deal? why aren't the about-to-dies given choices, like a meal request, OR a long walk outside, or whatever else makes sense. does this really give something to death rowers? how do you think they feel when choosing a LAST meal, and eating their LAST bites? for some reason, this bewilders me today. what do y'all think?

My last meal would be improperly prepared fugu.

I picked up a great book a while back called My Last Supper. They asked 50 famous chefs what their last meal would be, and it included a bunch of recipes for them, good stuff.

Last edited:
I'd eat my creation called the surf & turfucken which consists of a small lobster tail stuffed with crab and then shoved inside a huge filet mignon cooked R-MR

I'd have a steak and use the steak knife to kill all of the guards and escape. I told you I was hardcore.

Why in the hell give them anything? Oh yeah, cause they have about a 50% chance of actually being innocent of any crime, thats why.

i'm not saying they shouldn't get anything. and i understand tradition, and that's how the last meal came to be. but in modern times, it still seems odd to me that food is supposed to be this special thing for them. what about a choice of something that might allow them a final chance for meditation, or peace, or reflection, or happiness...something that some may think would be found in a meal of choice. i think it's great they offer the last meal, still. i don't even believe in the freaking death penalty. i just wonder how it's interpreted in modern times, and what it does for the convicted, and why there's not a choice given.

Why in the hell give them anything? Oh yeah, cause they have about a 50% chance of actually being innocent of any crime, thats why.

I'm pretty sure 98% of death row inmates are guilty. The other two percent are white.

Why get a last anything? I say, instead, give them a last surprise and kill them 12 hours earlier.

In my system there would be no delay.

Verdict is handed down, walked out back and shot with a Glock. IF the Glock for some reason doesn't fire the man can go free.

Yeah, fuck that. What I'd do if the gun jammed is kill a random Glock employee and THEN kill the convict with a hammer.