Hawt Largest city in Vermont goes 100% Renewable

All of Vermont is powered by hydro Quebec anyway and has been for years. Hydro and nuke are best power

• Gravy
Reactions: plot
hasn't niagra falls been powering most of the NE for... well, since shortly after electricity was "invented"?

hoover damn provides a massive amount of power for nevada/arizona. a good portion of st louis is on hydro too IIRC. I don't think this is a breakthrough, it's just a breakthrough in vermont maybe.

hasn't niagra falls been powering most of the NE for... well, since shortly after electricity was "invented"?

hoover damn provides a massive amount of power for nevada/arizona. a good portion of st louis is on hydro too IIRC. I don't think this is a breakthrough, it's just a breakthrough in vermont maybe.
But in those areas are they 100% powered by renewable resources?

But in those areas are they 100% powered by renewable resources?

they were at one point in time until the area outgrew the production. hoover provides 4.2 BILLION kWh a year according to google. That could probably power the entire state of vermont twice.

• Gravy
Reactions: Coqui
they were at one point in time until the area outgrew the production. hoover provides 4.2 BILLION kWh a year according to google. That could probably power the entire state of vermont twice.
That's pretty cool. I only asked that because whlie other places can do this, an example, Ohio Stadium is a 0 waste building. Meaning anything that is not used is either compost or recycled. Not exactly novel, but the first in a scale of a building that holds over 108,000

electricity2006.gif

The biggest problem with Hydro is it's pretty much finite, all of our major producers are already doing what they can do and it's not like we can build a bunch more hoover dams. I'm curious what this pie chart would've looked like in the 70's or 80's though before our electricity usage really spiked through the roof. Coal/Natural gas seems to be the easiest to expand our capabilities... also an ever expanding population means energy needs will rise. being efficient can only stall our energy uses for so long before population drives it upwards again.

it's to bad we can't easily get away from coal, that shit has dumped mercury into basically all of our water sources.

Actually their 100% green renewables number has a bit of fudging done to it. And some of the hydro power that their coop eletric company buys is from a hydro electric dam near me. One that I visited for work. I think I posted some photos of it here.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/vermont-city-come-rely-100-percent-renewable-energy/

A lot of the hydro dams have been removed in Maine. We used to be a leader in hydro generation capacity. But I guess as the dams aged, they were too expensive to maintain. Florida Power and Light used to own a few dozen up here. It was always strange seeing FPL trucks running around up here.

Actually their 100% green renewables number has a bit of fudging done to it. And some of the hydro power that their coop eletric company buys is from a hydro electric dam near me. One that I visited for work. I think I posted some photos of it here.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/vermont-city-come-rely-100-percent-renewable-energy/

A lot of the hydro dams have been removed in Maine. We used to be a leader in hydro generation capacity. But I guess as the dams aged, they were too expensive to maintain. Florida Power and Light used to own a few dozen up here. It was always strange seeing FPL trucks running around up here.

I like the first comment on there.

"Let's test this theory.. cut them off of the grid. I call BS.."

Solar sucks in our climate. Limited sunlight in the winter. Not enough sunny days. And having to clean snow off the panels? fuck that.
Wind turbines are okay, but still don't generate the power that the Midwest & plains states do.

Tidal or offshore wind power is where it is at in Maine (maybe geothermal too). University of Maine is supposed to be working on pilot projects for both if I remember correctly.

Solar sucks in our climate. Limited sunlight in the winter. Not enough sunny days. And having to clean snow off the panels? fuck that.
Wind turbines are okay, but still don't generate the power that the Midwest & plains states do.

Tidal or offshore wind power is where it is at in Maine (maybe geothermal too). University of Maine is supposed to be working on pilot projects for both if I remember correctly.
Use stored energy to melt the snow from the panels.

LPT: in the event of an undead uprising head for las vegas. the hoover dam will keep it powered for six to twelve months while the rest of the country goes dark in under a week

Lpt: nuke plants will auto safe themselves and stop producing after less than 24 hours of no interaction by humans

which is why you head to vegas. hoover will operate unmanned for as long as it takes the barnacles to build up in the turbines. everything else will run out of fuel or do a safe shutdown within a matter of days

would give you time to enjoy the benefits of refrigeration and digital information before you have to start surviving in the wild

fyi: in the event of this I call dibs on the luxor

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers