laptops

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
16,792
637
41
Marklar
239.55₥
I'm thinking about getting a laptop and I've got it narrowed down to two choices. The Asus S5N and the Dell Inspiron 700m.

I really like the Asus because it's thinner, lighter, and has a longer battery life, however it's only a one spindle design and has an external CD drive.

The clinch is that Dell is having a sale and the 700m is faster and cheaper, not to mention that it's a two spindle design with a burner inside it. It's only 2 pounds heaver than the Asus, but it might be a better deal.

I think I'm leaning towards the Dell because of the sweet sale they've got going on, and if I can find one of those $750 off coupon codes that would be killer.

Opinions?
 
E

Excedrin

Guest
Well, if you travel a lot then I'd go with the asus. But if you're just using it to take to work and whatnot I'd go with the dell.
 
S

smileynev

Guest
ibook. You can get the 1.2ghz model for $849 from Amazon right now.

I would stick with dell because of their service and support over Asus. Also, its nice to have everything built in, although I don't use the optical drive in my iBook much.
 

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
16,792
637
41
Marklar
239.55₥
Viremia said:
IBM T42 or X40
I've never been a huge fan of the thinkpad. It doesn't help that I dispise the "eraser head" pointing device, and their offering with the 12.1" screen that I'm looking for doesn't have a touchpad.

long tall smiley said:
ibook. You can get the 1.2ghz model for $849 from Amazon right now.

I would stick with dell because of their service and support over Asus. Also, its nice to have everything built in, although I don't use the optical drive in my iBook much.
I think I'm leaning towards the Dell. It looks like it's more full featured and overall just a better deal. I would think about getting the iBook, but I've never used a mac before and all of my apps that I'd be using for school or whatnot are expensive and there's really no mexican support for the mac platform.
 
S

smileynev

Guest
CletusJones said:
I've never been a huge fan of the thinkpad. It doesn't help that I dispise the "eraser head" pointing device, and their offering with the 12.1" screen that I'm looking for doesn't have a touchpad.


I think I'm leaning towards the Dell. It looks like it's more full featured and overall just a better deal. I would think about getting the iBook, but I've never used a mac before and all of my apps that I'd be using for school or whatnot are expensive and there's really no mexican support for the mac platform.
Actually theres pretty decent Mexican support for the Mac. Theres just not that much stuff to send across the border to begin with.

If it were me buying I would stick with a brand that is known for making computers, like Dell or IBM or even Toshiba. I wouldn't go with a company like Asus just because I doubt their support and warranty would match those other brands.
 

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
16,792
637
41
Marklar
239.55₥
long tall smiley said:
Actually theres pretty decent Mexican support for the Mac. Theres just not that much stuff to send across the border to begin with.

If it were me buying I would stick with a brand that is known for making computers, like Dell or IBM or even Toshiba. I wouldn't go with a company like Asus just because I doubt their support and warranty would match those other brands.
Maybe that's the problem then. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to learn it, but I don't think now's the time. I need something that I can do all my school projects on and stuff like that. Being an engineering major, support for AutoCAD is pretty high on the list as well. I think I'm leaning more towards the Dell than anything else, there really aren't too many companies that have laptops with a 12.1" screen, and that's what I want, I hate carrying stuff to/from school so it has to be small and light.
 
K

kikbot

Guest
I would choose the Dell over the Asus because I've used many Dell laptops over the years. Dell makes good machines both laptop and desktop. I don't know about Asus, I know I like their videocards and motherboards not sure how well they make a laptop.

I would rate the IBM Thinkpad as #1. I have used many different Thinkpads over the years and all of them are very well built. They are more expensive than other brands because they are of superior qaulity.

1. IBM
2. Dell
3. Compaq
4. others


http://www.ibm.com/shop/epp

PM me for login info


fly said:
kikbot here can get you a link to a friends and family discount or something, I think.
 

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
16,792
637
41
Marklar
239.55₥
kikbot said:
I would choose the Dell over the Asus because I've used many Dell laptops over the years. Dell makes good machines both laptop and desktop. I don't know about Asus, I know I like their videocards and motherboards not sure how well they make a laptop.

I would rate the IBM Thinkpad as #1. I have used many different Thinkpads over the years and all of them are very well built. They are more expensive than other brands because they are of superior qaulity.

1. IBM
2. Dell
3. Compaq
4. others


http://www.ibm.com/shop/epp

PM me for login info
YGPM
 
V

Viremia

Guest
CletusJones said:
I've never been a huge fan of the thinkpad. It doesn't help that I dispise the "eraser head" pointing device, and their offering with the 12.1" screen that I'm looking for doesn't have a touchpad.
I wasn't a big fan of the eraser head either until I got used to it. It isn't bad at all and is what I use most of the time when I don't have a mouse hooked up at work. I don't use the trackpad on my T42 hardly ever.
 

fly

Osharts 11
Oct 1, 2004
67,174
19,498
1,073
Marklar
46,624.23₥
Steam
mattressfish
Viremia said:
I wasn't a big fan of the eraser head either until I got used to it. It isn't bad at all and is what I use most of the time when I don't have a mouse hooked up at work. I don't use the trackpad on my T42 hardly ever.
nipple > touchpad
 

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
16,792
637
41
Marklar
239.55₥
Viremia said:
I wasn't a big fan of the eraser head either until I got used to it. It isn't bad at all and is what I use most of the time when I don't have a mouse hooked up at work. I don't use the trackpad on my T42 hardly ever.
really? How long did it take you to get used to it? I guess I could pick up a cheap optical mouse and use that when I don't feel like using teh eraser.
 
V

Viremia

Guest
CletusJones said:
really? How long did it take you to get used to it? I guess I could pick up a cheap optical mouse and use that when I don't feel like using teh eraser.
Well, I started off with the touchpad, but decided to give the eraser a shot since it was more convenient to where my hands were on the keys. I'd say it took no more than a week or so to get completely comfortable with it and actually prefer using it over the touchpad.

The position of the 3 buttons on the T42 is right in line with where my thumb is. Whereas, with the touchpad that isn't the case. Granted the left button isn't needed so much, but the right one is. There's no middle (scroll) button for the touchpad on the T42s, but there is for the eraserhead.
 

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
16,792
637
41
Marklar
239.55₥
Viremia said:
Well, I started off with the touchpad, but decided to give the eraser a shot since it was more convenient to where my hands were on the keys. I'd say it took no more than a week or so to get completely comfortable with it and actually prefer using it over the touchpad.

The position of the 3 buttons on the T42 is right in line with where my thumb is. Whereas, with the touchpad that isn't the case. Granted the left button isn't needed so much, but the right one is. There's no middle (scroll) button for the touchpad on the T42s, but there is for the eraserhead.
I checked out the T42 and it looks sweet. With that friends and family discount that kikbot sent me, it's almost $800 cheaper than it would normally be, so it may be too good to pass up for the money.
 
P

pyromeg

Guest
go with the dell....they make good machines......faster+cheaper=better! and what is this $750 off dell coupon code?????? I'm actually searching for a new laptop myself.......but I will be shopping at best buy for the sole reason that my brothers work at mcdonalds(best buy bucks!!!!!) and they love me so much that they have managed to acculumate 900 of them for me! yay! SO, if anyone has thoughts on a laptop sold at best buy comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.