Laptop Hep

Mrs. Valve

Dizzy Broad
Oct 6, 2004
The QFH
Marklar
₥3,849
I am buying a laptop in a week. I have never purchased one and if I weren't going to be in school for the next 5-6 years and didn't need something portable, I'd totally spring the same money for a kickass desktop. But alas, that is not the case.

Does anyone here have a laptop? I am looking primarily at Dells (I like the Inspiron E1505), HPs (dv6000t or z), and possibly Lenovo Thinkpads (tho they're BALLZ expensive) and don't know if I should be looking elsewhere. I'm looking to spend under $1k, but can go near or a little over (santa endowed me with laptop cash for christmas). Any advice in the next week would be totally welcome and appreciated.

I am buying a laptop in a week. I have never purchased one and if I weren't going to be in school for the next 5-6 years and didn't need something portable, I'd totally spring the same money for a kickass desktop. But alas, that is not the case.

Does anyone here have a laptop? I am looking primarily at Dells (I like the Inspiron E1505), HPs (dv6000t or z), and possibly Lenovo Thinkpads (tho they're BALLZ expensive) and don't know if I should be looking elsewhere. I'm looking to spend under $1k, but can go near or a little over (santa endowed me with laptop cash for christmas). Any advice in the next week would be totally welcome and appreciated.

I have a Dell Inspiron that Flop bought me. I really like it. It has 60GB storage then I bought a portable hard drive (80GB) for 100 bucks. I love it. But since it was a present I'm really not sure how much it costs. :(

I recently helped my 2nd youngest sister buy an e1505 for her upcoming college endeavours. We got her out of there for around $1250 with a printer and docking station.

If you decide to go dell (and this is anyone really) pm me and I can give you the information for my company's "Friends and Family" discount. I think it's down to 12% ATM, but that's better than nothing, yah?

I just bought an Inspiron E1505 a couple of weeks ago. I'm in love with it. It's BLAZING fast even though I chose the slowest dual core processor to save some money. 1.66GHz. I think the fastest on that model was the 2.2 GHz.

Total pricetag: $1381.17 ($1275.91 + free shipping + $105.26 tax)

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB/1.66GHz/667MHz)
15.4 Inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WSXGA+
2GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory
80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition

Oh and those monitor options I selected, the ultrasharp, truelife blah blah blah turn it into a portable high def dvd player. Graphics are so sharp it's ridiculous.

Another cool feature is the Dell Media Center thing, which allows you to play DVDs and listen to CDs at the push of a button without booting Windows.

I just bought an Inspiron E1505 a couple of weeks ago. I'm in love with it. It's BLAZING fast even though I chose the slowest dual core processor to save some money. 1.66GHz. I think the fastest on that model was the 2.2 GHz.

Total pricetag: $1381.17 ($1275.91 + free shipping + $105.26 tax)

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB/1.66GHz/667MHz)
15.4 Inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WSXGA+
2GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory
80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition

I think that's my first choice right now. The Dell Inspiron E1505 can cost me anywhere from $841 to $1050. I'm looking at it with Intel Core 2 Duo at 1.6 or 1.8GHz, 1GB DDR2, 2 Dimm, w/ or w/o bluetooth or a DVD +/- RW drive. Plus I get a 12% discount through the University, which is a nice bonus. The only thing I'm totally clueless about is the video card stuff, since I'll be using it at some point for molecular modeling but won't need it for any harcore gaming type stuff.

Oh and those monitor options I selected, the ultrasharp, truelife blah blah blah turn it into a portable high def dvd player. Graphics are so sharp it's ridiculous.

Another cool feature is the Dell Media Center thing, which allows you to play DVDs and listen to CDs at the push of a button without booting Windows.

the only negative thing i'e heard about with the TruLife screen is that it can have some wicked glare. have you run into that at all?

Last edited:
the only thing i've heard negative things about with the TruBright screen is that it can have some wicked glare. have you run into that at all?

Only when I have a spotlight positioned just behind my head and angled into my eyes. It's like a sheet of glass over the screen, so yes you can see reflections and whatnot, but it's not that big of a deal. I imagine that the folks who complain about that are pretty dang high maintenance as it is. They could simply adjust the lcd angle a fraction of a degree.

I think that's my first choice right now. The Dell Inspiron E1505 can cost me anywhere from $841 to $1050. I'm looking at it with Intel Core 2 Duo at 1.6 or 1.8GHz, 1GB DDR2, 2 Dimm, w/ or w/o bluetooth or a DVD +/- RW drive. Plus I get a 12% discount through the University, which is a nice bonus. The only thing I'm totally clueless about is the video card stuff, since I'll be using it at some point for molecular modeling but won't need it for any harcore gaming type stuff.

Do you have a Dell credit account? I opened a $1500 one a couple of years ago. It allows me to get the laptops and computers I want without having to compromise on components too much in order to pare the cost down. If you're going to get a dual core laptop, you might as well bloat it up a bit so it lasts longer. 2 gb of RAM is a dream, by the way. I've only ever had 1 before.

Do you have a Dell credit account? I opened a $1500 one a couple of years ago. It allows me to get the laptops and computers I want without having to compromise on components too much in order to pare the cost down. If you're going to get a dual core laptop, you might as well bloat it up a bit so it lasts longer. 2 gb of RAM is a dream, by the way. I've only ever had 1 before.

i really don't have that much to spend on it, unfortunately. if it comes down to it, i'll probably have to choose between the DVD burner and the extra gig of RAM

I've had tons of dells and have had very few if any problems. I have a latitude D820 right now.

we just got a boatload here at work. They seem to be pretty sweet.

stay away from D600 and 8600 models. We replace drives like crazy on them thar suckers.

I would look into an IBM if i were to get one. I dont trust dells at all.

I've had tons of dells and have had very few if any problems. I have a latitude D820 right now.

I'm using a dell lat d620 widescreen right now. We use dell pretty much across the board and they've done very well for us. Their laptop hardware is pretty much bulletproof unless you give it a hard drop on a solid surface.
I'd go dell all the way.