Laptop Help

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
I just wanted to say thanks for the help in purchasing this machine to everyone who joined in the last thread. I know I didnt have much to work with but the machine we ended up going with works perfectly for what I want, in most ways...

It came with Vista installed and I would like to go back to XP. I emailed gateway for the drivers and this is what I got...

Thank you for your e-mail. If you need the Windows XP driver for your
Gateway notebook, please note that Gateway does not support changing an
Operating System. Changing the Operating System may cause driver
conflicts. You have the option of upgrading or changing your Operating
System at your own discretion. However, it is preferred that you keep
to the original configuration of your system so that all the programs
and applications in your computer will recognize all the hardware
installed in it.

The drivers are usually found on the Restore CDs or on the hard drive
recovery partition (for medialess system). This may sound frustrating
but you cannot use the Restore CDs to reload the drivers to a different
Operating System. These drivers are configured with the original
Operating System that came preloaded with your computer.

If you wish to install Windows XP, you may need to search online for the
driver(s) of the device(s) you are looking for. However, please be
advised that we cannot guarantee that these drivers will work on your
computer. In addition, we are not liable for any damage or
compatibility issue that they may cause. Please be advised that any
changes or upgrades to the original configuration of the system are done
so at the sole risk of you the end user.

Although we will still support the hardware of the system, we will not
be able to support the new Operating System. We can still support the
functionality of the system with the new Operating System. If the
support reaches the point of suspected hardware replacement/repair vs.
software support for the hardware, you must reinstall the original
Operating System and drivers before the part can be replaced/repaired.
This includes any version of Windows Vista purchased from a retailer or
customer who have upgraded their Vista using the Windows Anytime
Upgrade.

I have tried searching for the drivers and am having a very hard time finding all of the drivers for XP. Could anyone help me find the XP drivers for the system below...

Thank you for your reply. Here is the device list for your computer.

Chipset Intel® GL960
Modem Agere Delphi AM3 (SV92A3)
Graphics Controller: Intel® Crestline-GM
Networking: Realtek RTL8101E-GR
Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200
Memory reader (4 in 1): RTS5158
Wireless Lite On WN6300L

Links would help or if you can rar/zip them up and email them to me that would be fucking awesome. I know this might be very noobish but look at the source :(

Thanks again guys, its really appreciated ;)

where did you get the laptop from? if it was a formal manufactuer you could have requested that they downgrade back to xp for you. if it was a on the sly thing..well sir..request a gateway xp service pack 2 recovery disk and install it yourself. just make sure to download all the "vista drivers" from the gateway website and burn them to a disc before you start.

where did you get the laptop from? if it was a formal manufactuer you could have requested that they downgrade back to xp for you. if it was a on the sly thing..well sir..request a gateway xp service pack 2 recovery disk and install it yourself. just make sure to download all the "vista drivers" from the gateway website and burn them to a disc before you start.

I got it from newegg...

I have a dell resource xp sp2 disk at home, will that work? Would the vista drivers work after I install xp? sounds weird to me :confused:

thanks man...

that just brought me to the type in serial number page though, i got that far already but not all drivers are available on gateway for xp...

wait, now it looks like they are there, lemme check

after that go to "my downloads" followed by the windows xp link

my main concern is when I go back to XP will anything not work... vista is running like shit and there is wayyyyyy to much bullshit installed on here.

would those cover...

Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200
Memory reader (4 in 1): RTS5158
Wireless Lite On WN6300L

or should i be looking for those too?

under "all operating systems" you might have to give it a rip with a couple vista drivers if a thing or two doesn't come up working...obviously you want the 32 bit drivers, not the 64 bit

under "all operating systems" you might have to give it a rip with a couple vista drivers if a thing or two doesn't come up working...obviously you want the 32 bit drivers, not the 64 bit

Well the ones you pointed out are the main drivers right? I will look at the "all operating systems" and search for the xp drivers that way

thanks dude!!

windows xp has a LOT of drivers built into it. if i were you i would only worry about having the drivers for whatever network hardware you have. once you install xp you can just install drivers for whatever isn't working. as long as you have network drivers before you reinstall you'll be able to download what you need.

[hide] this is how you hide stuff from the world. it's just like quote tags but you use hide.[/hide]

windows xp has a LOT of drivers built into it. if i were you i would only worry about having the drivers for whatever network hardware you have. once you install xp you can just install drivers for whatever isn't working. as long as you have network drivers before you reinstall you'll be able to download what you need.

hidden content may not be quoted

Thank you sir, that alleviates a lot of my worries

I just don't want to reformat and find out I cant use all of what I bought later on :eek: