Laptop advice

no HD, it could be raw, but I would load it on a disk. Not to worried about color, I would do that on my big system, save things on quick time to load in Final Cut. This would be spuratic at best, but I want to be able to run Avid or Premier if I want to. I want the cd/dvd player/burner so I can transfer files and watch movies :D I definately want to play my games.
If its just sporadic, just buy whatever as long as its light and durable. However, you keep making it sound like tou need an external burner. You don't. Burners are cheap, get it built in.

If its just sporadic, just buy whatever as long as its light and durable. However, you keep making it sound like tou need an external burner. You don't. Burners are cheap, get it built in.

Yes, that is what I want. I want fast, something that won't crash. In fact I would probably run CS2 more then the Avid, but I don't want any limits on them.

Yes, that is what I want. I want fast, something that won't crash. In fact I would probably run CS2 more then the Avid, but I don't want any limits on them.

You have to work to get a lappy with less than a C2D now a days. Anything other than submini's and tablets will do what you want. Dell, Sony, and Apple are the only ones I know of putting firewire more or less standard on all mid level laptops. I would not roll with Sony if you want durability. I have a very nice VAIO laptop, but its really meant to live in an executive's leather bag, not an engineer's backpack.

You have to work to get a lappy with less than a C2D now a days. Anything other than submini's and tablets will do what you want. Dell, Sony, and Apple are the only ones I know of putting firewire more or less standard on all mid level laptops. I would not roll with Sony if you want durability. I have a very nice VAIO laptop, but its really meant to live in an executive's leather bag, not an engineer's backpack.

Ok, I'll see what I can find now that I have a good idea :)

I own a dell latitude d620 and I love it. but seriously..rugged? get a panasonic toughbook. they don't come stronger than that.

True, although you pay a steep price for it. I don't think that's the kind of rugged she's talking about though. I think she just means rugged as in typical road trips, not "I work for National Geographic and I'm headed into a war zone" tough. But hey, if you need it to be practically indestructable, Onno is right.

or in kevlar's case filming on the set of a movie and need to check the fuel mixture on the fxs she is about to use to flip tom cruise over 3 times and not break his head open like a melon in japan.

Stay away from Dell's solid state harddrives...they don't work as advertised. We tested 2 separate solid states' write and read speeds against my 7200 RPM drive in a D630...the 7200 out performed the solid state drives by about 30%.

Stay away from Dell's solid state harddrives...they don't work as advertised. We tested 2 separate solid states' write and read speeds against my 7200 RPM drive in a D630...the 7200 out performed the solid state drives by about 30%.

Agreed. We got one in here. iirc, $700 option and was getting 10MB/s sustained reads and like 5MB/s writes. HORRIBLE

I got one for someone recently and was underwhelmed...it was a d630 with SSD

also got a toshiba with one that seemed pretty fast though and it has a flexy unbreakable screen :drool:

or in kevlar's case filming on the set of a movie and need to check the fuel mixture on the fxs she is about to use to flip tom cruise over 3 times and not break his head open like a melon in japan.

:lol: but I want to break his head like a melon...in slow motion even :fly:

And all you guys lost me with all the "geek" talk :p :heart:

Don't worry I don't plan on invading a country or being on a police shoot out.....but I might go jehad on my neighbors chickens, wanna help :D

Last edited: