Ontopic Landlords out there?

Not bad. Our bylaws specify that the association is no-pay no employees. The only compensation board members get is their dues are free while they are on the board. In reality we are paying them all $60k+, buying their cars, chemotherapy, you know...

I'm glad you got a good HOA but I can't sign on to even take that chance again. My property is worth 46% of my mortgage balance and the city raised taxes. Just got an awesome escrow shortage letter.

Edit: I'm just super glad I didn't get an equity line around 2007ish like some of my friends did.

Woah. That really does suck. We hire an outside property management company to handle the condo association stuff for our neighborhood. That's why they are paid. I think it's okay though. They do a great job.

Nice! What's your new rate?

Mine's adjustable, currently at 3.00%

Not really. Knowing BoA, it will actually be 5.874. Shithole of a company.

We tried to refinance with BoA and the best they could do was 4.75 which is crappy for right now. We are going with a different bank at 2.75 for a 15 year note.

Looked at a house with an HOA once, had never heard of them before at that point, realtor hands us a book of rules, I read like halfway down the first page and said no thanks.

We live under 2 HOAs actually. The town we live in has a blanket HOA plus we pay an additional tax to them. Then the neighborhood has an HOA. It's pretty awesome though. Sure, I have to apply to change the color of my house, but they maintain 30 miles of bike trails, a major concert pavilion, 3 lakes stocked with fish, a ton of beautifully landscaped open space area, there are free concerts and movies, the roads are in good order, and the schools are awesome. All of that comes with the little price of having to ask if you can have a blue house instead of a green one. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the downfalls.

Somehow i doubt that the hoa has anything to do with the schools or a number of those other than items

Somehow i doubt that the hoa has anything to do with the schools or a number of those other than items

Columbia is a really unique and planned community. You live around here don't you? You might be right about the schools as that is mostly the fault of the county, but Columbia does introduce the diversity I really appreciate and want my kid to grow up with. Everything else is totally the fault of the Columbia Association.

Columbia is a really unique and planned community. You live around here don't you? You might be right about the schools as that is mostly the fault of the county, but Columbia does introduce the diversity I really appreciate and want my kid to grow up with. Everything else is totally the fault of the Columbia Association.

Yeah, the Columbia assn is unique. Not worth the price imo , but at least there are a lot of facilities included. Schools are all on the county though

I made up a song about white Christmases.

Some people dream of a white Christmas, but that's not the dream for me.
I dream of a Christmas with family and friends, gathered around a palm tree!

I made up a song about white Christmases.

Some people dream of a white Christmas, but that's not the dream for me.
I dream of a Christmas with family and friends, gathered around a palm tree!

Sounds like an instant hit to me. Get in touch with Sinatra asap

We tried to refinance with BoA and the best they could do was 4.75 which is crappy for right now. We are going with a different bank at 2.75 for a 15 year note.

I wish we could refinance, because I'd leave BoA in a heartbeat. We're so underwater that its funny to even suggest it though. :(

I wish we could refinance, because I'd leave BoA in a heartbeat. We're so underwater that its funny to even suggest it though. :(

Rates are so ridiculously low right now that you can actually save cash over the life of the loan even though you're 100+k underwater. I'll even sit down and do the math with you if you want. You're not a dumb guy, but im pretty sure you're missing an option here by only thinking short term

Rates are so ridiculously low right now that you can actually save cash over the life of the loan even though you're 100+k underwater. I'll even sit down and do the math with you if you want. You're not a dumb guy, but im pretty sure you're missing an option here by only thinking short term

Except that the appraisal won't be good enough for the loan.... :wtf: