Ontopic Landlords out there?

See, here, depending on what part of the country you're in, you could get a ramshackle singlewide on a small patch for only a few grand. :fly:

Rent in the cities is commonly first month, last month, plus a security deposit equal to a months rent. In more rural areas, it may be first + security, or even less.

Typical deposit is a months rent here, plus maybe a pet deposit if you have a cat or dog. Houses here startat around £70/80k and that's for pretty shit ones. You can probably find one for £60-65 somewhere SUPER crap where it has no windows and a burnt out car outside, but anything decent will be well over 100k.

I had one place where it was monthly, no reference, nothing.
:shudder:

I'll try to dig up the story of the hobo that came to hang out with one dude that came and lived there for the 6 months I was there.

So IBWIP and I are about to rent out our condo since we have moved. We are thinking about skipping the property management company since we live like 2 miles from the place and we can call the plumbers in the middle of the night just as easily as a property management company can. Is there anything else we should be considering? We've already found renters and reviewed their credit and checked their references.

you're gonna hate life. Its a guarantee that you'll get a bad renter at some point, who will devalue your place by 40%, then not pay rent for 6 months, and force you to take them to court for eviction, then vanish in the middle of the night while stealing all the outlet covers and kitchen cabinets the day before the court date.

yeah, err on the safe side and save yourself any potential headaches. especially because you already have lots of headaches. and a baby. and you haven't slept for a year.

RENTERS BEWARE. :fly: :heart:

But see Eileen, this little exchange here is EXACTLY why you need a management company :fly:

Because it sucks for both the owner, and the renters.

this shit. You need someone with the legal experience to kick someone's ass out when they start being dicks.

Either that or you need to hire 3-4 large men with less than scrupulous morals who have no problems removing people, and putting the fear of god in them so they dont sue you.

you're gonna hate life. Its a guarantee that you'll get a bad renter at some point, who will devalue your place by 40%, then not pay rent for 6 months, and force you to take them to court for eviction, then vanish in the middle of the night while stealing all the outlet covers and kitchen cabinets the day before the court date.

Not paying rent for 6 months? What the fuck? I thought you guys had GUNS FOR FUCKS SAKE?!?!?

Nobody gets away with not paying for 6 months here and we don't even have semi's. What fools.

I had one place where it was monthly, no reference, nothing.
:shudder:

I'll try to dig up the story of the hobo that came to hang out with one dude that came and lived there for the 6 months I was there.

this sounds like an icw@ter story

Not paying rent for 6 months? What the fuck? I thought you guys had GUNS FOR FUCKS SAKE?!?!?

Nobody gets away with not paying for 6 months here and we don't even have semi's. What fools.

renters rights laws :/ You cant just kick people out.

Most? Citation.

I personally don't know anyone who has 'disrespected' a rented property. I've heard anecdotally of scumbags who rip shit out etc. but that's just wrong. People here care too much about their deposit to ruin things. Also you need good landlord references etc. so you kinda fuck yourself over.

yeah..... one months deposit (800 bucks? 1000 bucks?) vs 40k in damage. It doesnt compare.

My friend owns a building where he has his computer shop in front and was renting the back of the building to a tattoo shop. They went 2 or 3 months without paying rent. In the middle of the night they cleaned out and left. And my friend told me that the courts are so clogged up, to get an eviction notice takes upwards of 9 months, so it isn't worth chasing after the rent debtors.

Syrup, did you end up selling those homes you had, when we last talked at the wedding?

My friend owns a building where he has his computer shop in front and was renting the back of the building to a tattoo shop. They went 2 or 3 months without paying rent. In the middle of the night they cleaned out and left. And my friend told me that the courts are so clogged up, to get an eviction notice takes upwards of 9 months, so it isn't worth chasing after the rent debtors.

Syrup, did you end up selling those homes you had, when we last talked at the wedding?

Nope, they're collecting dust and flies, because it costs me more to rent them than leaving them empty.

Sign tenants to 13 month leases, but make them pay the entire 13 month term up front. Then charge them $750/month in pet rent, whether or not they have pets.

Sign tenants to 13 month leases, but make them pay the entire 13 month term up front. Then charge them $750/month in pet rent, whether or not they have pets.

then beat their wives and/or children when they dont comply?