Ontopic Landlords out there?

But see Eileen, this little exchange here is EXACTLY why you need a management company :fly:

Because it sucks for both the owner, and the renters.
Yup

Friend of the family back in Tallahassee runs a management company, pretty damned ruthless, first time rent goes unpaid with no notice he starts the eviction process just because of how long that usually takes.

Maybe some people are okay, but most have NO respect for other people's property.

Most? Citation.

I personally don't know anyone who has 'disrespected' a rented property. I've heard anecdotally of scumbags who rip shit out etc. but that's just wrong. People here care too much about their deposit to ruin things. Also you need good landlord references etc. so you kinda fuck yourself over.

Must be
Last house I rented , I probably left it in better shape than when I moved in.

My house will look better, bit of wear and tear on the cheapass carpets but that comes under 'reasonable living' in the contract. Definitely repainted, reglossed (or in process of) etc. so much better than the 70's green/yellow grossness it was.

Most? Citation.

I personally don't know anyone who has 'disrespected' a rented property. I've heard anecdotally of scumbags who rip shit out etc. but that's just wrong. People here care too much about their deposit to ruin things. Also you need good landlord references etc. so you kinda fuck yourself over.
Different attitudes in your neck of the world.

I see it allllllllllllll the time over here.

Less so in this particular redneck ville though.

My house will look better, bit of wear and tear on the cheapass carpets but that comes under 'reasonable living' in the contract. Definitely repainted, reglossed (or in process of) etc. so much better than the 70's green/yellow grossness it was.

Unless the owners liked the 1970's colours :fly:

New paint is to always be expected, as is reasonable carpet wear, but if the carpets need to be replaced because they're soaked with urine and feces, that's not cool.

Different attitudes in your neck of the world.

I see it allllllllllllll the time over here.

Less so in this particular redneck ville though.

Very different I'm sure considering the majority of people seem to rent,buying here is not something you do when young or unless you are in a damn good job or inherit, you need about 20%+ deposit these days and getting together £30k or whatever while paying rent is pretty impossible.

Unless the owners liked the 1970's colours :fly:

New paint is to always be expected, as is reasonable carpet wear, but if the carpets need to be replaced because they're soaked with urine and feces, that's not cool.

Yeah but do 'most people' think it's okay to live in a place where the carpets are urine soaked? Probably not. So either most renters suck in the US, US hygeine standards are low or your estimate is a bit off ;) :fly:

So IBWIP and I are about to rent out our condo since we have moved. We are thinking about skipping the property management company since we live like 2 miles from the place and we can call the plumbers in the middle of the night just as easily as a property management company can. Is there anything else we should be considering? We've already found renters and reviewed their credit and checked their references.

IIRC, you guys are already out-of-state landlords on another property, right? I'm sure you've got the basics down. The management company can be a good buffer, but obviously not required. How is your insurance? If you don't have one, I'd recommend at least a $1M umbrella policy. They are usually just a couple hundred bucks a year and can really save your ass. They're also cheaper and less of a hassle than moving the properties into an LLC.

As Asa elluded to, when you collect rent from them every month, either change or provide them air filters for the A/C unit. Its in your best interest. Honestly, I'd recommend changing them yourself (put that in the lease agreement). That also gives you a chance to visually inspect the inside of the property monthly for signs of bad things.

Oh, and if you want to check references, don't check where they are living now. If they are bad renters, that place will give them a GLOWING review just to get rid of them.

Last edited:
Used a company to find a renter then managed it ourselves. She suckers, smoked had pets (both not okay per lease) and then up and moved out after I checked in and saw what she was doing. I will never try to manage myself again, let the pros do it.

Very different I'm sure considering the majority of people seem to rent,buying here is not something you do when young or unless you are in a damn good job or inherit, you need about 20%+ deposit these days and getting together £30k or whatever while paying rent is pretty impossible.

See, here, depending on what part of the country you're in, you could get a ramshackle singlewide on a small patch for only a few grand. :fly:

Rent in the cities is commonly first month, last month, plus a security deposit equal to a months rent. In more rural areas, it may be first + security, or even less.