Ontopic Landlords out there?

He gets points rather than money. One of his credit cards gets him a lifetimes supply of marshmallows if he spends enough, another one gets him free tyre rotation and lube check in 43 states. The one he really works at gets him a one way ticket to Geneva for April and a return ticket for him to Amsterdam. He has no savings, all his money goes to World Of Beer.

And he's not referring to any sort of care maintenance on that one.

Can you point me in the right direction to get the ball rolling? Is it something I have to contact my existing lender for? Does it make a difference that I don't have PMI?

Shoot me an email if you like

Depending on how much you want to read, there is some really good info about HARP in here. Rasheed knows his stuff and is more than willing to help if you ask intelligent questions. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1120151/

Basically, you don't even have to refi with the same bank. It's kinda weird because there are government guidelines but no solid requirements, so everyone is different. Either shop around yourself or get a broker.

Depending on how much you want to read, there is some really good info about HARP in here. Rasheed knows his stuff and is more than willing to help if you ask intelligent questions. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1120151/

Basically, you don't even have to refi with the same bank. It's kinda weird because there are government guidelines but no solid requirements, so everyone is different. Either shop around yourself or get a broker.
I did my mortgage at the bank I work for, it's free to do the harp ref I for me as an employee. Now I just gotta check my score.

So I read some of that thread, looks like my only real benefit is to get my loan amount modified. There's no app fee or closing costs (yay employee!) So I would really only take a hit on my rate. I would go from 3.100% to 3.500%. If I went to a 15 year loan I could keep my same rate but then my payment wouldn't go down.

Looks like it's worth it because free, now I just gotta get my paperwork started. I'll also finally be able to add my wife to the title so my condo board will stfu about her not being an actual owner.

So I read some of that thread, looks like my only real benefit is to get my loan amount modified. There's no app fee or closing costs (yay employee!) So I would really only take a hit on my rate. I would go from 3.100% to 3.500%. If I went to a 15 year loan I could keep my same rate but then my payment wouldn't go down.

Looks like it's worth it because free, now I just gotta get my paperwork started. I'll also finally be able to add my wife to the title so my condo board will stfu about her not being an actual owner.

Take two minutes and calculate lifetime interest and principal savings, not just short term payment savings

Take two minutes and calculate lifetime interest and principal savings, not just short term payment savings

Mortgage isn't exactly bad debt though. Especially at 3.5%, minus the interest deduction on taxes. You can almost certainly earn more than that on your money by putting any possible extra payment into a Roth. As long as you're dedicated enough to do that.

Mortgage isn't exactly bad debt though. Especially at 3.5%, minus the interest deduction on taxes. You can almost certainly earn more than that on your money by putting any possible extra payment into a Roth. As long as you're dedicated enough to do that.

Don't Roth IRA's come with contribution limits that are relatively easy to hit in a year? I thought it was 5K

Don't Roth IRA's come with contribution limits that are relatively easy to hit in a year? I thought it was 5K

It's slowly increasing, but yes. The general rule is to do 401k up to the company max, then Roth up to the max, then back to your 401k up to the max, then a traditional IRA.