KNYTE's Custom Guns?

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
So I'm heavily considering opening a side business doing gun customization, and thought I get UFs varied opinion on such a venture.

In my random internet perusing I've come across a crap ton of such places with one thing in common: their web sites and available services are all horribly put together. So my goal would be to build a functional and good looking web site that offered gun smithing and customization services and possible component sales.

The types of services I'd be offering would be gun refinishing (duracoat, polishing, so on), rust removal, basic gun part polishing and repair, and part replacement with higher quality/aftermarket parts.

What would you all suggest if I were to go into such a venture, and (in the even that you were gun owners) what types of things would you look for in a site that did such things.

Oh, and while you're at it you can help me come up with some good web address ideas.

ibshortguyguns.com
ibdwarfguns.com
ibelfguns.com
ibmidgetcircussexwithtrannies.org

My first thoughts are:

A: what kind of licensing do you have to have for this sort of business and how much will it cost?

and

B: Do you have access to machines and expertise that is required for gun smithing? And if not, how much will it cost?

My first thoughts are:

A: what kind of licensing do you have to have for this sort of business and how much will it cost?

and

B: Do you have access to machines and expertise that is required for gun smithing? And if not, how much will it cost?

In order to ship directly guns directly to me I'd need to be a licensed FFL, which supposedly doesn't COST a lot, but is kind of a lengthy process. While I was working on that part of my thought was to buy local "demo" guns (ie used guns that need work), clean them up and do some simple customization, take a bunch of demo pictures for advertising, then resell them on gunbroker or the like for (hopefully) profit.

The most expensive tool part of hardcore gunsmithing would likely be a fully functioning lathe (which would cost a couple grand at least). My hope/plan is to buil up to the point with whatever I could in sales/upgrades in the meantime.

A friend of my dad's is an FFL dealer in Texarkana. He also used to be the factory rep (might still be) for Aguila ammunition. Hunts big game in Africa and such. Pretty cool guy. If you'd like to talk to someone about it, you could definitely try him.

You could also fuse your love of guns with home improvement.

dewalt_16batt.sized.jpg

^^^Ha! That is insane!

Knyte, are you going to try and make custom holsters? I bet that would boost your sales even more. Maybe Kiwi can help with that part, since she is a master seamstress.

I do not know a lot about guns, but knowing the people I know who are into guns, they would really be drawn to a website that was out together well and had a lot of options for customization. If you have the time and the money, I say go for it!

A friend of my dad's is an FFL dealer in Texarkana. He also used to be the factory rep (might still be) for Aguila ammunition. Hunts big game in Africa and such. Pretty cool guy. If you'd like to talk to someone about it, you could definitely try him.

No pain in talking. How would I commune with him?

^^^Ha! That is insane!

Knyte, are you going to try and make custom holsters? I bet that would boost your sales even more. Maybe Kiwi can help with that part, since she is a master seamstress.

I do not know a lot about guns, but knowing the people I know who are into guns, they would really be drawn to a website that was out together well and had a lot of options for customization. If you have the time and the money, I say go for it!

I have the time.

I say...still go for it. As long as your wife is okay with it...do it! Why not? It seems like it is something you are passionate about and it would be something you actually enjoy. Also, owning your own business, being your own boss...how cool is that?

Go for it.

How much would you charge to re-thread one of the screw holes for the grips on my Kimber? It's pretty much completely stripped.

Also, I'd like to tighten up the trigger a bit, it has a little lateral play. I know it's normal on 1911s but damned if it ain't annoying.

How much would you charge to re-thread one of the screw holes for the grips on my Kimber? It's pretty much completely stripped.

Also, I'd like to tighten up the trigger a bit, it has a little lateral play. I know it's normal on 1911s but damned if it ain't annoying.

edit: Whoops, I went a completely different direction there.

The hole to secure the grip is stripped? How did that happen?

Last edited:
edit: Whoops, I went a completely different direction there.

The hole to secure the grip is stripped? How did that happen?

my own fault

when the previous owner replaced the original grips with the rosewoods ones he overtightened the screw. this made it grab the grip's screw...hole thingie so hard that it came out with the screw. I then tried to get the screw hole thingie off the screw with a pair of pliers but that only managed to ruin the thingie. like an idiot I screwed it back into the frame which probably stripped it