Know any good cheesecake recipes -or- Does this sound good?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So, as background, I was watching this movie (great btw http://imdb.com/title/tt0206762/) and they mention a rocatta cheesecake. Sounded very different and interesting, so I did some research.

Here it is a Sicilian style and it is lighter than conventional cream cheese as a base.

So my brilliant idea is to mix half rocatta and half cream cheese and whip lots of air into it. Graham cracker crust held together with melted butter and Grand Marier (for orange twist). In the cheese mixture adding orange zest while whipping. Garnish with orange wedge in the corner and mint sprigs.

Any thoughts?

Ricotta cheesecake is fuckin awesome. Skip the cream cheese.

edit: Oranges? I'll stick to the yummy classic.

I think it wouldn't be as creamy and rich with just pure ricotta, though. I guess I would have to try one to know.

I just thought of the orange thing because I wanted to "season" the crust with something and Grand Marnier makes sense to me. The filling needed some hints then, too, if the crust was tweaked, hence the zests.

CHEESECAKE DELUXE

1 1/4 c. crushed graham crackers
1/4 c. butter
2 tbsp. sugar

FILLING:

1 lb. ricotta cheese
1 pt. sour cream
1 lb. cream cheese
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 lb. melted butter
4 eggs, separated
Thickened fruit topping

Mix crushed graham crackers, butter and sugar with fork and press into bottom of springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool.
Mix ricotta cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese together thoroughly with electric beater. Add and beat flavorings, flour, cornstarch, melted butter and sugar. Separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff. Then fold in the whites by hand. Pour mixture into oiled springform pan with crust on bottom. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

Then shut oven off and let cheesecake sit in oven for 2 hours. Do not open oven door entire time cheesecake is in oven otherwise it will fall. Remove and top with fruit topping. Refrigerate. 12 or more servings

ITALIAN CHEESECAKE

1 1/2 lb. (24 oz.) part-skim ricotta
8 oz. mascarpone (or cream cheese)
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. cognac or brandy
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 (9 inch) prepared crumb pie crusts
Prepared chocolate sauce (optional)

Cream the cheeses together; add egg yolks, sugar, cognac and vanilla. Pour into prepared pie crusts and drizzle with chocolate sauce, if desired. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Makes 2 pies.
NOTE: Amaretto, frangelica or other liqueurs may be substituted for the cognac. For a plain cheesecake, use only the vanilla. Chopped pecans or other nuts may be added.

FABULOUS CHEESECAKE

1 lb. cream cheese
1 lb. ricotta or cottage cheese
1 pt. sour cream
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
1 stick butter, melted

In mixer cream the cream cheese and ricotta. Add sugar; cream well. Add eggs, lemon juice and vanilla. At low speed, add flour and cornstarch. Add sour cream and melted butter. Pour batter into a greased 9 or 10 inch spring from pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave cake in oven for 2 hours more. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate 12 to 24 hours before serving.

This cheesecake is much better if allowed 2 to 3 days to set.

AMARETTO DI SARONNO CHEESECAKE

1 1/2 c. coarse graham cracker crumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 (15 oz.) carton ricotta cheese
1 (9 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. Amaretto di Saronno
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Makes one 9 inch cheesecake. Combine crumbs and butter; press over bottom and sides of greased 9 inch springform pan. Chill.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat together ricotta and cream cheese until smooth. Add remaining ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour mixture into pan.

Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until firm in middle. Cool 20-30 minutes in pan before removing. Cool completely before serving.

CHEESECAKE WITH APRICOTS

1 lb. cream cheese
1 lb. ricotta cheese
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. cooled melted butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sour cream

Mix cheeses together in large mixing bowl. Add sugar gradually. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour and cornstarch; mix well. Add vanilla and melted butter. Fold in sour cream.
Pour into ungreased 10 inch springform pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake inside for 2 hours. Cool and refrigerate.

Cover top completely with drained canned apricot halves, cut side down, patted dry. Pour glaze over all.

GLAZE:

2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 c. apricot juice from can
Sweeten if needed

Boil until clear.

Last edited:
I think it wouldn't be as creamy and rich with just pure ricotta, though. I guess I would have to try one to know.

I just thought of the orange thing because I wanted to "season" the crust with something and Grand Marnier makes sense to me. The filling needed some hints then, too, if the crust was tweaked, hence the zests.

No, its definitely a different cheesecake, but awesome in its own right.

Have you tried all of those?

Not all of them .. but all are so similar. I don't keep a lot of those liquors on hand .. so buying it to just make a cake seems rather .. nto a good idea :lol:.

I have tried the ones w/o the alcohol in them though. Cheesecake is by FAR my most favorite sweet treat. Ask Mikey :lol:.

The apricot one is to die for imo, but I love apricots tho.

I'm going to make a South Beach Diet one tonight actually.

So, as background, I was watching this movie (great btw http://imdb.com/title/tt0206762/) and they mention a rocatta cheesecake. Sounded very different and interesting, so I did some research.

Here it is a Sicilian style and it is lighter than conventional cream cheese as a base.

So my brilliant idea is to mix half rocatta and half cream cheese and whip lots of air into it. Graham cracker crust held together with melted butter and Grand Marier (for orange twist). In the cheese mixture adding orange zest while whipping. Garnish with orange wedge in the corner and mint sprigs.

Any thoughts?
Instead of the cream cheese, you should use the mascarpone cheese they use in tira misu... it'll be very light and go better with the ricotta. If you do use Grand Marnier in the crust, try making an imulsion of the alcohol and the butter prior to blending with the graham crackers (so it doesn't separate and turn the bottom of the crust into mush)

Let me know how it turns out, it sounds really yummy :drool:

edit: wow, totally beaten with the marscapone cheese :lol:

Last edited: