FYI Know any federal employees? Wanna know how much they make?

It's around 27k US, and that's almost livable over here.

Our security guards earn more than that.

cost of living, bro. 27k is certainly "livable" in most places of the country. hell you can "live" on 27k a year in ny, dc, la, and chicago. you won't have a swank apartment or a huge car payment but if you're a security guard or a secretary, you probably shouldn't

you can afford a mortgage and a car payment and bills on 17k/year? Holy fuck England is cheap!

and I wasn't dissing you, but rather the people who pay you.

it works out to roughly $13/hr

that's what you pay a secretary at a doctor's office. they answer phones and pull charts. I'm assuming that's what she means in her job description, if on the other hand it requires some kind of training or certification that's a different story

plus, y'know, health care

it works out to roughly $13/hr

that's what you pay a secretary at a doctor's office. they answer phones and pull charts. I'm assuming that's what she means in her job description, if on the other hand it requires some kind of training or certification that's a different story

plus, y'know, health care

Answering phones and pulling charts would be receptionist work here. We sort out the waiting lists, type all clinical letters, answer phone queries, set up the clinics, do audits, set meetings, co-ordinate patient care with wards, book people in for appointments and procedures, code procedures etc. People in doctors surgeries don't do that, hospital medical secretarial work is a bit different and really it's quite specific because it always takes months to get use to the medical terminology within that speciality etc. as opposed to just general secretarial work. I guess in a way it's more on par with a legal secretary than it with normal secretaries, most the women do have typing certificates, medical terminology certificates and all that old school jazz. I just have google.

My hourly pay aftter tax is roughly £9.50/hour which is more $15, but whatevs. It's a good job that I didn't need experience in because when I came in the department was a mess and they weren't too picky.

ok, that makes sense. still, it's on par with the job description. it's just under 30 grand a year here. I lived on 30 grand a year in downtown chicago with a condo overlooking the lake, it's well above almost livable. you don't get to save much but you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck if you budget properly

plus you don't have to worry about health insurance

I was going to pipe in too and say nemos pay is reasonable for her job.

As far as paying mortgage and car payments or whatever else you guys were talking about... Of course she can afford it... She lives in a dumpster.

ok, that makes sense. still, it's on par with the job description. it's just under 30 grand a year here. I lived on 30 grand a year in downtown chicago with a condo overlooking the lake, it's well above almost livable. you don't get to save much but you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck if you budget properly

or shampoo

I was going to pipe in too and say nemos pay is reasonable for her job.

As far as paying mortgage and car payments or whatever else you guys were talking about... Of course she can afford it... She lives in a dumpster.

BcPjZ.jpg

True, we don't have to worry about health insurance, but we still pay for it in a roundabout way. 20% income tax, 8% national insurance, council tax, car tax, VAT at 20% (on everything you buy), petrol at £1.35/litre (Yes, PER LITRE). The way I look at my job is I didn't need qualifications for it, it affords me pretty much everything I need (bar nice vaca's but they're not necessary) and it's not so stressful that it detracts too much from doing my degree full time at the same time. Plus I only work 34hrs, I could work more hours but then it would eat into my degree.

cost of living, bro. 27k is certainly "livable" in most places of the country. hell you can "live" on 27k a year in ny, dc, la, and chicago. you won't have a swank apartment or a huge car payment but if you're a security guard or a secretary, you probably shouldn't

hahaha @ living on 27k per year in the DC area. More than half your monthly salary would be rent, and not much would be left after bills. Fine if you are a young single person who can live like a student, but I hardly call that living. That lifestyle sucks ass.

http://php.app.com/fed_employees11/search.php

Employees involved in security work, the FBI, CIA, Defense Department, nuclear materials, IRS, and jobs essential to national security are excluded. The list contains most executive branch employees but does not cover the White House, Congress, the Postal Service, and independent agencies and commissions.

Found a relative of mine made 132k last year. Fucker.

All my Federal friends are in these departments. Fuck.

hahaha @ living on 27k per year in the DC area. More than half your monthly salary would be rent, and not much would be left after bills. Fine if you are a young single person who can live like a student, but I hardly call that living. That lifestyle sucks ass.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/District-of-Columbia/Washington/Elsinore-Courtyard/43954/

Like I said, you wouldn't be saving much. So yeah, not much would be left after bills but you'd still be living. We're not talking about how you would prefer to live, we're talking whether or not any person could live on that wage in that area. You also can't compare one of the four most expensive cities in the nation to the average cost of living in England. The point is that the salary is commensurate with the position. That same position in DC or Chicago or NYC would probably have a higher hourly wage.

If you're in your early 20s and working a job like security or clerical work you should expect to live like a student. You can't expect most fields that don't require additional schooling or at least some kind of licensing/certification (or even many years of experience) to pay much above that.

Last edited: