Hawt Keyboards, Controllers, Consoles, and Digital Death (NEW GAMING THREADZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well technically it isn't 17 syllables for a haiku. It is word sounds that they count. So if you saw Osaka, it is actually written out in a way that is O-o-sa-ka. So while you think it is 3 syllables, it's actually 4 sounds for the definition of haiku. Nippon is 2 syllables but again it's 4 on because it actually Ni-p-po-n. So there :p

(stupid things you remember from taking Japanese in HS for a few years)
Which is why I have no idea why they teach it in english poetry classes in grade school.

My brother used to teach English in Japan if that's any help. He then became the Asian director for a publishing company. I have done neither of those things yet.

My Japanese teacher was an American who taught English in Japan as well. Then he decided he missed the US so he returned to teach Japanese to us lowly American English speakers. He had so many cool stories and why I had a Japanese pen pal for a while.

Which is why I have no idea why they teach it in english poetry classes in grade school.

Oddly I never learned about it in my English classes. I really had no clue until I was learning culture of Japan. So probably good I didn't learn it then.

My Japanese teacher was an American who taught English in Japan as well. Then he decided he missed the US so he returned to teach Japanese to us lowly American English speakers. He had so many cool stories and why I had a Japanese pen pal for a while.

Oddly I never learned about it in my English classes. I really had no clue until I was learning culture of Japan. So probably good I didn't learn it then.

are you one of those those weeaboo anime people?

Asus has gone from back-in-the-day shady manufacturer (along with Acer, emachines, etc) to one of the most solid brands around.

I remember when Samsung TV's where a joke. Pretty much the cheapest TV you could buy was a Sumsang. Now they're the top dog. Sony on the other hand.

are you one of those those weeaboo anime people?

NO!!!

Sorry to say it isn't my thing. A roommate in college would dress as Sailor Moon now and then though, but never rubbed off on me. In fact in general not a big anime fan at all. I just waned to learn the language since my dad traveled there a lot and sometimes I met business men. They were totally impressed that I could formally introduce myself properly in Japanese. Sadly I would have had to do independent study my senior year if I wanted to do Japanese 3 (too low of enrollment) and I just wasn't sure I wanted to do that.

I remember when Samsung TV's where a joke. Pretty much the cheapest TV you could buy was a Sumsang. Now they're the top dog. Sony on the other hand.

Im soured on samsung. I got their 55 inch panel, and had 3 die within 6 months from manufacturing issues (tab bond delamination). Its a huge known problem with that specific sammy panel.

That said, i realize its just one issue, and every company has issues, but i have a panasonic now.

IIRC, samsung had one of the early patents on either some of the facets of LCD or LED technology that put them at the forefront of the HD TV/Flat Panel wave, and they didn't fuck it up once they got there.

NO!!!

Sorry to say it isn't my thing. A roommate in college would dress as Sailor Moon now and then though, but never rubbed off on me. In fact in general not a big anime fan at all. I just waned to learn the language since my dad traveled there a lot and sometimes I met business men. They were totally impressed that I could formally introduce myself properly in Japanese. Sadly I would have had to do independent study my senior year if I wanted to do Japanese 3 (too low of enrollment) and I just wasn't sure I wanted to do that.

fair enough. No prob with that. I just find it kind of odd when people completely adopt a culture like that of Japan, but do it really badly, talking like 12 year old girl even though theyre a 30 year old man, mangling the language, and dressing up like unusual stuff. It would be the equivalent of japanese people acting like Valley Girls and living their live completely like that.

NO!!!

Sad that you never took the opportunity to experiment.

Sad that you never took the opportunity to experiment.

LOL if you knew her would wouldn't say that. She was kind of nasty and never kept the place clean. I wouldn't want her rubbing me ;)

fair enough. No prob with that. I just find it kind of odd when people completely adopt a culture like that of Japan, but do it really badly, talking like 12 year old girl even though theyre a 30 year old man, mangling the language, and dressing up like unusual stuff. It would be the equivalent of japanese people acting like Valley Girls and living their live completely like that.

Yeah that's totally unlike me no matter what. I do have some cool things from Japan that my dad brought back and the like, but other than speaking the language decently considering I only took a few years of it, I didn't go diving into the culture like that. I can still write in hiragana and katakana and know some Japanese words, but most of the rest has long since been forgotten.

Well technically it isn't 17 syllables for a haiku. It is word sounds that they count. So if you saw Osaka, it is actually written out in a way that is O-o-sa-ka. So while you think it is 3 syllables, it's actually 4 sounds for the definition of haiku. Nippon is 2 syllables but again it's 4 on because it actually Ni-p-po-n. So there :p

(stupid things you remember from taking Japanese in HS for a few years)

That's pretty much what I said, taken and quoted from Wiki, but why would a persistent arguer address that?

Nope, argue, argue, argue!

And the point is, besides Helena, you're all wrong because it is not based on syllables, but rather on phonetic sounds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.