Hawt Keyboards, Controllers, Consoles, and Digital Death (NEW GAMING THREADZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that I've been playing Civilization in one form or another for twenty-two years now.

Oh, and @Duke: I've seen you playing Civ 5, and if you like it you should totally get the Brave New World add-on. It completely changes up the endgame-- It's interesting now. When the civilization ideologies emerge after industrialization it shakes up the existing power blocks. Oh, and the whole world congress/UN thing adds an additional layer to the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
gods & kings was a great expansion as well, it lets you do immature stuff like a name a religion herpes so you get messages like "singapore wants herpes!"

very well, they shall have it

I just realized that I've been playing Civilization in one form or another for twenty-two years now.

Oh, and @Duke: I've seen you playing Civ 5, and if you like it you should totally get the Brave New World add-on. It completely changes up the endgame-- It's interesting now. When the civilization ideologies emerge after industrialization it shakes up the existing power blocks. Oh, and the whole world congress/UN thing adds an additional layer to the game.

I've been pretty happy with Brave New World so far. I don't remember if it was Civ 2 or 3 when they allowed the levels of building. I.E. you could build on the water or in the sky. Also I'm playing CIV right now ...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been pretty happy with Brave New World so far. I don't remember if it was Civ 2 or 3 when they allowed the levels of building. I.E. you could build on the water or in the sky. Also I'm playing CIV right now ...lol

It was Civilization: Call To Power, which was one of the spin-off titles from Civilization II.

Civ II was THE reason I installed Windows 3.1. You couldn't run it directly from DOS. I wasn't happy about having this needless operating environment living between the OS and program I wanted to run, but goddamnit, it was Civ. Only later did I realize that the game was using Windows in order to talk to sound, video, and interface hardware.

I downloaded the new Shadowrun Returns game, which is a Kickstarter-funded isometric rpg a la the old Super Nintendo Shadowrun title, which kicked tons of ass. This one is fun, but nothing groundbreaking. And it's extremely linear, which is disappointing.

Other cons:
1. The gameplay seems to be too easy; a few hours in and I have yet to be challenged in virtually any way in combat.
2. I feel as though I'm leveling up too quickly. The game all but throws karma points at you, which are the equivalent of skillpoints.
3. No manual save system. It uses checkpoints, which can be frustrating. So far I haven't had to worry about it though.
4. Needs more contemporary rpg elements like thorough environment exploration. Walking down a street and seeing a magnifying glass icon hovering over the one thing I can examine/take is boring.

Pros:
1. Artwork is nice.
2. The current story is only the first of multiple campaigns they intend to release.
3. Good writing. They nailed the Shadowrunny feel.

So far I would give it 3 buttholes out of 5.

Last edited:
I downloaded the new Shadowrun Returns game, which is a Kickstarter-funded isometric rpg a la the old Super Nintendo Shadowrun title, which kicked tons of ass. This one is fun, but nothing groundbreaking. And it's extremely linear, which is disappointing.

Other cons:
1. The gameplay seems to be too easy; a few hours in and I have yet to be challenged in virtually any way in combat.
2. I feel as though I'm leveling up too quickly. The game all but throws karma points at you, which are the equivalent of skillpoints.
3. No manual save system. It uses checkpoints, which can be frustrating. So far I haven't had to worry about it though.
4. Needs more contemporary rpg elements like thorough environment exploration. Walking down a street and seeing a magnifying glass icon hovering over the one thing I can examine/take is boring.

Pros:
1. Artwork is nice.
2. The current story is only the first of multiple campaigns they intend to release.

Its a good effort. I thankfully read before installing to only play on "very hard" so its decently challenging. The dialog and conversation options are professionally done and show it.

It is too linear though :( They had 1.8M, hopefully some ofthe big boys who got 4+ million will be able to make a game 4X as long and more complex. The shadowrun universe is really interesting though

Other cons:

Pros:
1. Artwork is nice.

It's supposed to be steam workshop as well, I think, so if it takes off at all there should be a fair amount of quality new content from the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.