Hawt Keyboards, Controllers, Consoles, and Digital Death (NEW GAMING THREADZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here got any good tips on a laptop under $1000 with decent gaming abilities?

Anyone? I'm looking to spend about $1000 on a laptop. I want to be able to play some games on it, so I need one with some power. Looking for a 15" monitor over a 17", though either would be ok.

I was hoping someone here had recently brushed up on their laptop knowledge.

I haven't priced out laptops in ages outside of thinkpads for work, and I def would not recommend those for gaming.

Me either. I'm looking at the CPU's in laptops today and finding myself not knowing what's what. Even the mobile GPU's.

I'm not looking to game seriously on this laptop. I just want to be able to fire a game up now and then.

So far I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314148

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152455

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131487 Have no idea where the Radeon Mobile 8770 places in benchmarks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231333

A good tool to get caught up on performance components for gaming laptops is the alienware system builder.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-14/pd.aspx

I know some people despise dells. I've always had good luck with them. But the point of going there is having an easy interface to look at what processors and GPUs are out there for laptops with a gaming focus. You can then use that info to compare against other laptops your looking at.

You would never see me buy a Samsung or Acer laptop, though. Never.

You would never see me buy a Samsung or Acer laptop, though. Never.

Thanks for the tip.

Can you elaborate on this for me? I support around 100 Acer laptops at work, and they seem pretty solid. I don't know anything about Samsung laptops, but all their other electronics are top notch.

Thanks for the tip.

Can you elaborate on this for me? I support around 100 Acer laptops at work, and they seem pretty solid. I don't know anything about Samsung laptops, but all their other electronics are top notch.

I've never been a fan. Samsung may make great consumer electronics, but their personal computing side is not up to the same quality spec as would their TV line, or their mobile phones. They kind of phone it in on PC's hoping their consumer electronics name carries over to laptops. Similar to Sony.

As for acer. I haven't seen anything from them that convinces me that their quality is any different back than when they were comparable to E-machines. Maybe they have gotten a little better, but then again, the PC/Laptop market has taken such a hit maybe it's hard to tell the difference between any of them anymore.

I had an old Dell that gamed like a champ. I'd go over to my folks house, and if they were boring I'd fire up Riddick: Butcher Bay. Laptops are a huge waste of money, though, in my opinion. If one little thing goes wrong it is exceedingly difficult to fix it or replace the part. Probably easier to carry a robust micro PC around in a tote bag. :fly:

I had an old Dell that gamed like a champ. I'd go over to my folks house, and if they were boring I'd fire up Riddick: Butcher Bay. Laptops are a huge waste of money, though, in my opinion. If one little thing goes wrong it is exceedingly difficult to fix it or replace the part. Probably easier to carry a robust micro PC around in a tote bag. :fly:

This.

I don't think I'll ever buy a personal laptop for myself again. Tablets, yes, they're inexpensive and great for couch browsing, etc.

Full-blown laptop, on the other hand, I'll just let whoever I'm working for buy one for me.

I'll probably never spend more than $400 on a tower PC again either.

I have no problems paying money to keep my PC up to date.

As for Laptops, every job I've had for the past 15 years has provided me on. And now I have like 5 thinkpads just sitting around my house that were just discarded by the company. 'Do something with these' was the exact quote.

Most of the stuff I do on my PC outside of gaming just can't really be done on a common business laptop either.

Since I'm packing up my computer this week or next in order to move it overseas, I'm going to need something to work, communicate, and play on during my transition period. I need a well rounded laptop. Something that will also be able to run a small sql server for development. A gaming rig fit this.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if there was anything else. When I bought my thinkpad of off fleabay. I made sure it had an nvidia graphics card.

I've got one with an Nvidia Quadro card in it. It chokes on lots of games, and I suspect it's because of the driver set available for it. Now, it's not current edge, but any gaming I tried with it just failed.

I will admit my own bias. I just don't like gaming on a laptop, screen is too small. Keyboards are unweildy. Etc. The few times I've tried it has always been disappointing.

I've got one with an Nvidia Quadro card in it. It chokes on lots of games, and I suspect it's because of the driver set available for it. Now, it's not current edge, but any gaming I tried with it just failed.

I will admit my own bias. I just don't like gaming on a laptop, screen is too small. Keyboards are unweildy. Etc. The few times I've tried it has always been disappointing.

All good points to go along with the other reasons not to buy laptops with gaming in mind.

Last edited:

I will admit my own bias. I just don't like gaming on a laptop, screen is too small. Keyboards are unwieldy. Etc. The few times I've tried it has always been disappointing.

Since I mostly play older point and click RPGs and TBSs. The smaller screen size and unwieldy kbs don't affect me as much. I wouldn't want to play a FPS let alone a sim on a laptop.

a non-laptop is out of the question. I want an well rounded PC while travelling and transitioning. A desktop is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.