keeping it (financial troubles) in the family

Kudos to you Elpmis. I'm sure your girlie will understand that your money was going to a good cause tho. It's not like you pissed $300 away on a new game system or something. You're parents kinda remind me of mine. They tried to take out a home equity loan to pay for my wedding. :wtf:

Thorn Bird said:
as for your parents, use this as an opportunity to sit down with them and talk about their finances. they've openly invited you in to their business (the way i see it) by asking you for help, and i think it's only fair to be concerned about their welfare, for present and future.
Not to be a hardass, but from experience - talking about their finances isn't going to do any good. They will agree, promise everything, etc. but it won't last.

Once you travel down that path, you either keep giving money and help or you can take control so you don't have to give as much money.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Not to be a hardass, but from experience - talking about their finances isn't going to do any good. They will agree, promise everything, etc. but it won't last.

Once you travel down that path, you either keep giving money and help or you can take control so you don't have to give as much money.

within a month of getting married, my in-laws asked to borrow money. father-in-law wasnt working and not for lack of opportunities, mother-in-law would get into arguements or leave a place because people annoyed her. this didnt sit well with me as i had just taken their daughter off of their hands (in retrospect, they probably assumed i was a fool for that very reason). i went over to their house with the wife after they asked for money, had dinner, then pulled out the 'help wanted' section and mentioned that even mcdonalds was hiring right down the street. the wife wrote out a check and we left for home. they called us on our way home and said that they had found someone else to loan them the money. they never asked me for money again.

thrawn said:
within a month of getting married, my in-laws asked to borrow money. father-in-law wasnt working and not for lack of opportunities, mother-in-law would get into arguements or leave a place because people annoyed her. this didnt sit well with me as i had just taken their daughter off of their hands (in retrospect, they probably assumed i was a fool for that very reason). i went over to their house with the wife after they asked for money, had dinner, then pulled out the 'help wanted' section and mentioned that even mcdonalds was hiring right down the street. the wife wrote out a check and we left for home. they called us on our way home and said that they had found someone else to loan them the money. they never asked me for money again.
:D I think you're lucky, that hasn't worked for my wife and I

Candy said:
If I were in your brother's shoes I don't think I would have accepted the money. I was fortunate enough thst my parents purchased the pre-paid college program for us when we were kids. I graduated from USF with a bachelors degree in Business Management, but that was only after several changes in my degree program. Long story short I paid for two years myself; I worked full time which took me twice as long to graduate, and got student loans to the tune of about 15K.

Shawn works TWO jobs, and gets student loans; in the end we will be paying for his education for about twenty years but he chose to go to a cheaper school for his undergrad, because his Masters and eventually Doctorate are going to be so pricy.

On the other hand if I could give someone the same opportunity to go to college with out having to struggle as my father gave me (for the first six years anyway) I would do it in a heartbeat.

Nice Job.
I know my brother wouldn't accept the money, that's why I'm not telling him that I'm picking up my parent's slack. He still thinks mom and dad are signing the check

Pandora said:
Kudos to you Elpmis. I'm sure your girlie will understand that your money was going to a good cause tho. It's not like you pissed $300 away on a new game system or something. You're parents kinda remind me of mine. They tried to take out a home equity loan to pay for my wedding. :wtf:
thank you