Just watched Ron Paul on Meet the Press

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,111
Steam
mattressfish
Tim Russert filleted the man on national television. Paul waffles more than John Kerry. I bet this is the last time he does a show like that. Here are some memorable quotes:

"You support term limits, yet have been in Congress for 18 years." :lol:

"You call yourself a scrict constructionist, but want to amend the Constitution..." :lol:

"Ron Paul is against federal spending, unless its earmarks for his district."

(oh, and btw, if FlyNavy reads this, Paul DID call for abolishment of the FBI and CIA, everything but Justice and DOD. But he doesn't any more! Yay!)

Tim Russert filleted the man on national television. Paul waffles more than John Kerry. I bet this is the last time he does a show like that. Here are some memorable quotes:

"You call yourself a scrict constructionist, but want to amend the Constitution..." :lol:

(oh, and btw, if FlyNavy reads this, Paul DID call for abolishment of the FBI and CIA, everything but Justice and DOD. But he doesn't any more! Yay!)

Tim Russert is one of the very few in the news business. That I can actually respect. He's tough on both sides of the isle.

If the internet manages to get Ron Paul elected we should consider turning it off

The good things that we've learned from past elections is that internet people will chat and donate on the internet. However, they don't go to the polls, cause thats out of their way.

I like Russert...very smart guy...rode an elevator with him once at work
I think every candidate we have is rather uncompelling

He's following the law. He can't help improve the system if he simply leaves office after two years.

Not having term limits is what allows Ted Stevens and a Kennedy that should have been tried to murder to remain in office for decades.
That's exactly what a strict constructionist wants. The process to amend the Constitution is within the document itself. It's what the founders intended to happen. That's the very definition of a strict constructionist.
To get back money that the people of his district have already had to pay. Again, he's following the letter of the law.
where? :eek:

He's following the law. He can't help improve the system if he simply leaves office after two years.

Not having term limits is what allows Ted Stevens and a Kennedy that should have been tried to murder to remain in office for decades.

Then he shouldn't support term limits if hes not going to eat his own dog food...

That's exactly what a strict constructionist wants. The process to amend the Constitution is within the document itself. It's what the founders intended to happen. That's the very definition of a strict constructionist.

From wikipedia:
"Strict constructionism" is also used in American political discourse as an umbrella term for conservative legal philosophies such as originalism and textualism, which emphasize judicial restraint and fidelity to the original meaning (or originally intended meaning) of constitutions and laws.

Sticking to the original Constitution isn't about changing it, although of course its possible.

To get back money that the people of his district have already had to pay. Again, he's following the letter of the law.

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't kickbacks. Just good, hard working people asking for a handout. :rolleyes:

It was mentioned on the show
MR. RUSSERT: And you actually go further. You said this. "Abolish the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Central Intelligence Agency and dismantle every other agency except the Justice and Defense Departments." And then you went on. "If elected president, Paul says he would abolish public schools, welfare, Social Security and farm subsidies."

REP. PAUL: OK, you may have picked that up 20 or 30 years ago, it's not part of my platform. As a matter of fact, I'm the only one that really has an interim program. Technically, a lot of those functions aren't constitutional. But the point is I'm not against the FBI investigation in doing a proper role, but I'm against the FBI spying on people like Martin Luther King. I'm against the CIA fighting secret wars and overthrowing government and interfering...

Here's the full transcript: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22342301/print/1/displaymode/1098/

Then he shouldn't support term limits if hes not going to eat his own dog food...
What makes you think he isn't? It's not like he'll introduce a bill demanding term limits for everyone but him. How do you expect anyone to introduce term limits if those that think it's a good idea don't stick around long enough to support it?
From wikipedia:

Sticking to the original Constitution isn't about changing it, although of course its possible.
Sticking to the Constitution is about changing it. That was one of the clearly defined intentions of the framers. They knew full well that society would evolve and the Constitution would have to evolve with it. They gave us a method to make that happen because they wanted it to happen, they knew it was necessary.

Strict constructionism and amending the constitution are nor mutually exclusive nor have they ever been. It was a stupid question on Russert's part and he should be ashamed of pretending that he doesn't know the meaning of the term he threw out.
Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't kickbacks. Just good, hard working people asking for a handout. :rolleyes:
How do you think the system works? We all pay into the federal piggy bank, we all get money back. The problem is that some people get more money back than others, some people get far less. Yet there is nothing to suggest that he's earmarking more money for his district than it has paid in.

You're accusing him of taking kickbacks with absolutely zero evidence to support it.
It was mentioned on the show

Here's the full transcript: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22342301/print/1/displaymode/1098/
Twenty or thirty years ago and he clearly states that intelligence gathering and federal law enforcement are supported. Just because he would dismantle the CIA and FBI because of their many, MANY atrocities throughout their history doesn't mean he wouldn't support different agencies. The point still remains that he wants it to be in accordance with the supreme law of the land.

You call Ron Paul an idiot but do you have a better candidate?