Just out of curiosity...

Mrs. Valve

Dizzy Broad
Oct 6, 2004
The QFH
Marklar
₥3,799
How many of you would be willing to participate in an HIV vaccine study, with generous compentsation and no risk of contracting the virus through the study?

Well.. I might not get HIV but who knows what weird side effects one would suffer...

i'd need to know EVERYTHING before i said yes. how would it work -- you'd send me a needle and some juice via snail mail? :confused:

btw, for clarification, this isn't a study being put on by my lab, it's a study that i'm contemplating taking part in. the money's always good, plus if i had any adverse side effects i could use sick time for that :p the clinic putting this on is doing this as a double-blind, meaning i don't know and they don't know if i get the vaccine or a placebo. plus, this is a dna-based vaccine with only a snippet of the hiv genome, so under 0 circumstances would contracting hiv through this vaccine ever be a result from this study.

i was just curious as to what you guys though about clinical trial stuff, and this was the best example. i think $750 for like 3 shots is pretty good, considering that's all i have to go through.

F33nX said:
btw, for clarification, this isn't a study being put on by my lab, it's a study that i'm contemplating taking part in. the money's always good, plus if i had any adverse side effects i could use sick time for that :p the clinic putting this on is doing this as a double-blind, meaning i don't know and they don't know if i get the vaccine or a placebo. plus, this is a dna-based vaccine with only a snippet of the hiv genome, so under 0 circumstances would contracting hiv through this vaccine ever be a result from this study.

i was just curious as to what you guys though about clinical trial stuff, and this was the best example. i think $750 for like 3 shots is pretty good, considering that's all i have to go through.

Knowing my luck I'd be the guy who defies all scientific odds and gets HIV.

F33nX said:

Um, but wouldn't they still have to expose you to HIV later on to see if the vaccine worked? :confused:

fly said:
I'm sure they could take some of her cells and expose it to them sir...
kinda, yes. what they're primarily looking for is a primary immune response to the vaccine...to see if the antibodies in my system would react to the snippet of hiv...and therefore proliferate and have that response be stored in memory. so if by chance the vaccine works and i do come in contact with real hiv, my immune system would stop it before hiv stops the immune system

F33nX said:
kinda, yes. what they're primarily looking for is a primary immune response to the vaccine...to see if the antibodies in my system would react to the snippet of hiv...and therefore proliferate and have that response be stored in memory. so if by chance the vaccine works and i do come in contact with real hiv, my immune system would stop it before hiv stops the immune system

Sounds kinda cool, and with that $750 I could buy myself a keen lcd monitor :)