Just got a call from the Sheriff

Fly's point is, if they're out of jail "rehabilitated" as it were, they should be free. Full rights restored.

If they are not safe to be on the street, what are they doing out of jail?

jail is black and white. you read a law, you disobey a law, you get handed a print-out of your time-out. jail has nothing to do with the mentally disabled/sick/etc.
but i'm saying that it's part of the law that if you are a sexual offender, you will have it follow you. and i personally don't believe that a 19-year-old should be labeled a sex offender because his girlfriend was 17 with a pissed off daddy. i'm not saying it's flawless.
is there an answer? not that i can see. so it becomes gray. i don't believe in the death penalty. but i don't believe that mentally disturbed/sick people shouldn't be watched.
am i saying it's ok to vandalize this person's house? no. am i saying it's ok to be hateful towards this person? no. then you are committing your own crimes. get in the boat.

It should be fairly simple.

Either you should have full rights restored, or you should not be out in society.

so what do you do with the mental aspect of it? society's laws don't usually account for the varying degrees of mental wellbeing. standards were deemed, laws applied, a punishment for breaking the laws. do you think it's right or fair to throw everyone under it?
but then what do you do? who's responsibility is it? i don't think it should be as black and white as it is, but i really don't know what a proper resolution would be.

Fly's point is, if they're out of jail "rehabilitated" as it were, they should be free. Full rights restored.

If they are not safe to be on the street, what are they doing out of jail?

too expensive to feed for life?

iono.. my buddy i mentioned visiting a few weeks back said the pedos crowd around the children's shows and it creeps him out. they're apparently not rehabilitated, and could very likely be coming up for parole.

you want 'em on your street?

i only have ONE problem with the sex offender registry, and that's the fact that the majority of the people on it shouldn't be on it. should be reserved for rapists and child molesters, instead you get people that get drunk and piss in public and end up on it or something equally stupid.

as for the child rapists, i advocate castration to deal with these people. i'm sure many would willingly undergo the procedure in order to get out of prison sooner and not be put on some list.

too expensive to feed for life?

iono.. my buddy i mentioned visiting a few weeks back said the pedos crowd around the children's shows and it creeps him out. they're apparently not rehabilitated, and could very likely be coming up for parole.

you want 'em on your street?

maybe they just like barney you judgemental ass.

:p

as for the child rapists, i advocate castration to deal with these people. i'm sure many would willingly undergo the procedure in order to get out of prison sooner and not be put on some list.

i feel the same way, but including all first degree rapists. and not on a voluntary basis.

i feel the same way, but including all first degree rapists. and not on a voluntary basis.

not that i disagree, but you gotta ease into it with the child raping volunteers and then move into the full blown mandatory for all thing.

if only we ran the country right?

not that i disagree, but you gotta ease into it with the child raping volunteers and then move into the full blown mandatory for all thing.

if only we ran the country right?

serios. there are few things that get me more riled up than sexual assault/predation and its mishandling.

My personal viewpoint?

If a person shows that they are unwilling to follow the laws of a civilized society, then that person should no longer be able to reap the benefits of that civilized society, including shelter, food distribution systems, power, water, roads, etc etc.

The experiment of the Australian Penal colonies didn't go far enough, imho. Persons shown to not be civilized, to shun the core values of a society to the point that those around them are viewed as prey, as victims, should no longer be able to benefit from what those around them produce. An island far removed from any shore would be a great place to drop them off, and wish them god speed as they make their own way in life.

Prison isn't meant for rehabilitiation. It never was. It's only the dreams of a few misinformed liberal social reformists who actually entertain the idea that a penal system can be used to rehabilitate people. It is designed as a deterrent, a means of incarceration that keeps those people who might venture down a criminal path on the straight and narrow save they be subject to what goes on behind those walls. To most people, prison doesn't even register as we simply do not think of crossing those lines of legality.

A system which expels one from modern society, which forces them to make their own way 100% in this world, would prove a powerful deterrant. Would it still stop murders, rapes, terrorism? No. But it just might give some that moment of pause enough to reconsider their actions.

Keep in mind, i don't believe such a system should even be considered for most criminals, just for that few small % who rank as true animals, as those whom have no regard for life, who would just as soon kill those around them as look at them.

But that's just me talkin.

You missed the point, if they're NOT safe to be on the street, then they shouldn't be.

so do they undergo mandatory mental checks before sentencing? will sentencing for the same crime be different for a twisted guy and an able-minded one? and is jail where a distored person needs to be? mental hospital? island?

Overall crime rates are generally lower than they were 20 years ago. There are more cops and way better communication between them. We just live in a state of fear. Mass media reports of crime are way more visible and every night on tv is shows showing kidnappings, rapes, murder, etc. The media sells us fear to keep us tuned in and the cops don't really try to hard to fight the notion because parents keeping their kids closer to them just makes their jobs easier.

i only have ONE problem with the sex offender registry, and that's the fact that the majority of the people on it shouldn't be on it. should be reserved for rapists and child molesters, instead you get people that get drunk and piss in public and end up on it or something equally stupid.

This is the post I was waiting for. Even a 19 year old and a 16 year old doing the nasty can wind the 19 year old up on the list. I think "sexual predator" is far too vague and encompasses violations which aren't predatory in nature.

This is the post I was waiting for. Even a 19 year old and a 16 year old doing the nasty can wind the 19 year old up on the list. I think "sexual predator" is far too vague and encompasses violations which aren't predatory in nature.

I agree. Yes the 19 year old should know better but what happens when they were sexual before it was illegal? Should they stop sexual activity? We have laws like this to protect children. In my option a 19 year old is still a kid.