Just finished "reading" The Dark Tower

I

I Robert I

Been listening to the audiobooks of Dark Tower now during work and such for about four months and today I finally finished it. And now I feel all weird... This is going to sound ghey and all that but I think I'm comfortable enough with myself to admit it (to the anonymous audience on the net... heh) that I bloody cried at a couple of parts in it. A book has never affected me like this before, kinda scary to be honest.

I'd say that this is the best book I've ever read. HHGG is amazing but this is just... more, so much more. Does that sound weird? It sure does to me but I can't help it. Each character has such depth, Roland especially. I also think that listening to someone reading it, instead of reading yourself, helped make it more powerful.

Has anyone else read it? Been affected as much?

The torch has been lit and I can feel the flames coming...

I've been planning on starting it but was waiting for him to release all the books first. I didn't want another Wheeel of Time series on my hands where I've been reading it for over 16 years due to the books coming out slowly.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I haven't read the latest two yet, but earlier ones have gotten my heart pounding and stuff - I didn't cry, but then again I pretty much never do. I won't begrudge you for doing so, that's for sure :D

A book that really moved me recently, was 'Caverns Measureless to Man' by Sheck Exley.
I don't either, and didn't, untill the last book ... hehe.
fly said:
:gayo:

I kid, I kid. I've heard a lot about the series, but never read it. Summary?
Kind of hard to condense 7 books to a few lines. But what it boils down to is the story of Roland, the last gun slinger, travelling to find the dark tower. His world is similar to our own but it has "moved on". Towns lay in ruin, time is drifting and the world is changing. Along the way he meets new people, people that he draws into his own world to aid him in his quest for the tower.

But that quick summary makes it sound cheap and shallow which it most certainly is not. It's hard to classify it as something specific.

I will second your feelings Robert - I also finished book 7 earlier this year (on audiobook as well) and I cried a couple of places as well. I mean, I have been reading these books and been involved with these characters for 15 years! And it is such an epic volume of pages of story (literally thousands), you can't help but be emotional.

I was sitting in the parking garage before work one morning just sobbing my ever-loving eyes out when _certain events_ occurred. The whole rest of the day I was on edge and sorta out of it.

Anyway - you're not crazy. And my wife is now about 1/2 way through book 7 and she keeps calling me from the car (in tears, often) and says "Why didn't you tell me ... was going to happen to ... ?!?!"

Spyder.

I got physically ill from reading a short story once.

And since when does listening = reading?

Ah, good to see I'm not alone in this atleast. Makes me feel less weird :p

FlamingGlory: Why do you think I put rabbit ears around the word ;)

That's one series I haven't been able to get really into. I started readin the first one but didn't finish it at the time. Maybe I should try it again and see if I like it better this time around.

Nyx said:
That's one series I haven't been able to get really into. I started readin the first one but didn't finish it at the time. Maybe I should try it again and see if I like it better this time around.
I'm glad I know you're dreamwalker now. :fly:

ChikkenNoodul said:
I think with the exception of a couple in the Dark Tower series, I've only read one of the books he's written in the past 12 years or so because of that.
I haven't read any of his newer stuff. I think Insomnia and The Stand are the only books of his that I have ever read.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Those were good, I never managed to get into Christine or Firestarter though - strange.

I also enjoyed Salem's Lot and Pet Sematary

i loved salem's lot. it left an impression on me.

what was the one about the plane? i think it was a short story of his. they also made it into a movie for tv which wasn't very good.

we really need a reading forum.