GAY Judgy Thread

Right but the transmission could still be damaged and disengage after the impact making it a rolling hazard. Having the parking brake on adds another item to hold the vehicle still in the event something happens to the transmission.

It's the reason parking brakes exist. They're not for hills, they're for parking in general.
The factor of safety they design those things for makes that improbable.

Right but the transmission could still be damaged and disengage after the impact making it a rolling hazard. Having the parking brake on adds another item to hold the vehicle still in the event something happens to the transmission.

In the scenario of being hit on a hill hard enough to damage the drivetrain, I'm not exactly worried about the car rolling anywhere, because chances are, it won't be on its wheels at that point anyway.

It's the reason parking brakes exist. They're not for hills, they're for parking in general.
My cars don't have a parking brakes, they have emergency brakes. They exist for when the brake hydraulics fail.

The parking pawl in an automatic transmission is stronger than any ratcheting mechanism built into the brake caliper or rear hubs.

improbable, yes. Impossible? no.

two layers of insurance is better than one when the cost of that second insurance is simply pulling up or pushing something with your foot.

Also, just as another piece of information, my aunt has a suburban that has been parked on a hill nearly every day for almost a decade, and she rarely ever uses her parking brake. In just a few years, the gear shifter had begun to be harder and harder to take out of park with the weight of the vehicle being placed on the pawl/gear instead of the brakes. Now, anytime she tries to take the vehicle out of park when the weight in on those parts instead of the brake, there is a loud thud as the pawl is disengaged and a jerk of the vehicle. I'm sure there is a gouge in either the pawl or the gear that has been worn into one, or both of them as a result of that weight being applied on a daily basis.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
That era Fords were horrible about the key switch going bad, and not having the gearshift go fully into a particular gear. Was it actually a failure of the sprag, or was it that the gearshift didn't completely lock into park or some other failure?
The pawl would either fail or only partly engage, there was a recall for it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor

two layers of insurance is better than one when the cost of that second insurance is simply pulling up or pushing something with your foot.

Also, just as another piece of information, my aunt has a suburban that has been parked on a hill nearly every day for almost a decade, and she rarely ever uses her parking brake. In just a few years, the gear shifter had begun to be harder and harder to take out of park with the weight of the vehicle being placed on the pawl/gear instead of the brakes. Now, anytime she tries to take the vehicle out of park when the weight in on those parts instead of the brake, there is a loud thud as the pawl is disengaged and a jerk of the vehicle. I'm sure there is a gouge in either the pawl or the gear that has been worn into one, or both of them as a result of that weight being applied on a daily basis.

Doubt there is a gouge. Some wear in it, yes. That wear is going to be from pure friction of the pawl and sprag being pulled apart by the gearshift lever (which would be an oiled and machined surface as well, so the friction is going to be low.) You're more likely to wear out the clutches in the trans before those parts are going to be thin enough to yield.
Also, I already addressed that with my San Fran comment. There are times when it is warranted, but not all the time.

(two kittens are on a roof, which one slides off first? The one with the lower mew)

In the same sense that we're all lottery winners in waiting, I agree with that sentiment.

The only way to avoid that wear is to put the brake on before you put it in park, otherwise the pawl will be under load regardless of whether the brake's engaged or not. Coincidentally, the exact scenario you describe is why most manufacturers now require you to engage the brake to shift out of park.

Doubt there is a gouge. Some wear in it, yes. That wear is going to be from pure friction of the pawl and sprag being pulled apart by the gearshift lever (which would be an oiled and machined surface as well, so the friction is going to be low.) You're more likely to wear out the clutches in the trans before those parts are going to be thin enough to yield.
Also, I already addressed that with my San Fran comment. There are times when it is warranted, but not all the time.

(two kittens are on a roof, which one slides off first? The one with the lower mew)
I know very little about vehicles, but when there's a huge clunk and a jerk like that as the pawl is disengaged, that's the first thing I think of. Maybe it's something else, I don't know, but the action of disengaging the pawl causes the symptoms, so I'm inclined to say that's the issue. If it was simply hard to take out of park, that's one thing. but there's times where you have to use enough force to pull it out that the action of pulling it out causes the lever to sling past reverse, neutral and drive, and go all the way to second. (I think it's second, I don't know if there are two or three manual choices there.)

I suppose it could just be difficult to get into gear from park when there's weight on the pawl, but the fact that it doesn't do that on level ground is why I'm thinking that.

That being said, I've been in her car on more than one occasion when she parks it on the hill and I've seen her sometimes just take her foot off the brake instead of slowly letting it off allowing the car to slowly rest it's weight on the pawl. I'm pretty sure repeated occurrences of that can't be good.

If it was simply hard to take out of park, that's one thing. but there's times where you have to use enough force to pull it out that the action of pulling it out causes the lever to sling past reverse, neutral and drive, and go all the way to second. .

This shit happens to my sister all the time. And she never remembers that all she needs to do is turn the steering wheel slightly. It's like her steering wheel lock sticks occasionally and its linked to her ability to shift out of park.

This shit happens to my sister all the time. And she never remembers that all she needs to do is turn the steering wheel slightly. It's like her steering wheel lock sticks occasionally and its linked to her ability to shift out of park.
I've tried that when I go to pull it out of park and it doesn't help.

My favorite was the time my sister couldn't get her key to turn when she went to start her car one morning because the night before, she held the wheel all the way to the left as she turned it off. Power steering ceased and turned the wheel to the steering wheel lock. I laughed and said "just turn the wheel a little bit and your key will turn the ignition without a problem.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Don't use the E-Brake Crew!

Except when I need to do a 180.

V5YZmCB.jpg