Ontopic Judge in the Stanford rape case sentenced someone to...

Circumstances can be different. Even minute differences can matter. That's why mandatory minimums are bad (among other reasons.)
Fully agree on mandatory minimums. How do you reconcile that POV with legal precedent, though? Or ensuring that there is a sense of equality within the legal system?

Fully agree on mandatory minimums. How do you reconcile that POV with legal precedent, though? Or ensuring that there is a sense of equality within the legal system?
Not sure I follow your line of legal precedent questioning. And I think there is generally always equality in the legal system. It does move much slower than the rest of society as judges are generally old.

I might be interpreting your initial comment differently than you intended.
The way I read it, if you can't compare cases from a sentencing standpoint then due to the differing circumstances the legal machinations from one case cannot be used in the other. Accordingly legal precedent is a shambles

As for equality, if both parties have the ability to hire the same quality of legal representation and the judge is honest, I'd agree with you

The way I read it, if you can't compare cases from a sentencing standpoint then due to the differing circumstances the legal machinations from one case cannot be used in the other. Accordingly legal precedent is a shambles

As for equality, if both parties have the ability to hire the same quality of legal representation and the judge is honest, I'd agree with you

That's a helluva big if.

^^ and if all members of thebjury are unbiased, which many biased people don't even realize they are because they're not always conscious biases. things like allowing appearance to weigh on the decision, which someone would be like heck no I wouldn't do that, and they mean it, but it's a subconscious thing that sometimes happens anyway

^^ and if all members of thebjury are unbiased, which many biased people don't even realize they are because they're not always conscious biases. things like allowing appearance to weigh on the decision, which someone would be like heck no I wouldn't do that, and they mean it, but it's a subconscious thing that sometimes happens anyway

Here we have the right to be judged by 12 people who are too stupid to get out of jury duty.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas and Strings