WTF Judge calls for hammer ban after death of Johnathan Thurston's uncle Richard Saunders

Please tell me this is a joke

b) No person shall display or offer for sale any utility knife except by placing the knife either (1) in an area immediately accessible only to an employee of the establishment, and beyond the reach of any customer less than seven feet tall; or (b) in a

Ok you obviously can't do research, I'll save you the trouble.

This, BTW IS Chicago Minicipal Ordinance rather thanh state law. Utility knifes BTW can have blades longer than 2 inches, which would otherwise be prohibited to under 18s.

c) No person under the age of 18 shall carry a utility knife on his person, or in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle. This prohibition shall not apply to a minor using a utility knife for a lawful purpose (1) in his residence, under the immediate supervision of his parent or legal guardian; or (2) in a classroom, at the direction and under the immediate supervision of his teacher; or (3) in his place of lawful employment, at the direction and under the immediate supervision of his adult employer or an adult supervisor. For purpose of clause (3) of this subsection (c), "place of employment" includes an employer's motor vehicle used to transport the employer's tools and equipment, as well as a site where the employer is performing any lawful work

Notice how, one the one hand, there is a prohibition against the carrying of a utility knife, closely followed by exceptions for specific lawful purposes. Walk away from this argument with what little dignity you still have left my friend.

that's a prohibition on minors, the exceptions also applying to minors. the previous one that I posted makes it illegal to carry concealed any knife with a blade greater than 2.5 inches for anyone over the age of 18.

walk away from this argument before you continue to prove yourself a moron

(a) As used in this section, a “utility knife” is a knife consisting of a grip and single-edged sharp blade of the type typically used to cut such resistant surfaces as rugs, cardboard boxes, linoleum flooring and the like.

a box cutter not the same thing as a fucking gerber.

Last edited:
"I am not allowed carry a knife with a blade greater than three inches IN CHICAGO Doesn't matter if I can voice a perfectly legitimate reason to need a knife like that on my person to perform my job, it will still be illegal."

Only if you carry concealed. A chef can openly carry his knife roll between jobs. A joiner can openly carry his toolbox with a knife in it. You're the one who is trying to argue there is an 'absolute ' prohibition against carrying longer knifes and there's no exceptions. Only if you carry concealed dumbass. Now you've bothered reading you've realised it's not as absolute as you first stated and are including the 'concealed'detail.

You're moron status already established, feel free to walk away anytime now.

Oh, and you might want to review this statement in,light of the exceptions I've posted

"ncorrect. In those cases where it's against the law to carry some type of knife, it remains against the law regardless of the reason."

Ahem, I did refer you to utility knives unsuccesfully. Don't say I didn't try and help you out of your hole.

there are no exceptions, a chef cannot walk down the street holding a fucking four inch knife in his hand. when something is cased it's an entirely different story. newsflash: I can carry my fucking gun in a case down the street if I want. no legitimate reason needed. but I don't have to have a legitimate reason to carry a hammer nor do I have to have it cased and I can carry it concealed if I so chose. but carrying any knife over 2.5 inches is considered a crime. not having one in a toolbox, carrying it.

I see it's a basic English problem you have. You want to use the term carrying as shorthand for 'concealed carry' whereas the rest of the world uses the word more generally. I guess I'd have to push my knife roll along the 'sidewalk' so as not to be carrying it then.

If I said I ws carrying my kitchen knives between jobs you'd assume I had them concealed about my person. Interesting.

Last edited:
if there are triplet knives in the knife roll and one of them falls out into a storm drain lost forever, are the remaining two now twins?

Depends, are you on the way to St. Ives?

it's always st. ides time, baby
:bast:

250px-StIdes40.png

I see it's a basic English problem you have. You want to use the term carrying as shorthand for 'concealed carry' whereas the rest of the world uses the word more generally. I guess I'd have to push my knife roll along the 'sidewalk' so as not to be carrying it then.

If I said I ws carrying my kitchen knives between jobs you'd assume I had them concealed about my person. Interesting.
no, carrying can include having it strapped to your chest or hanging around your neck in addition to being held in your hand. it does not include having it in a case designed to hold that object

the fact remains that you are saying your land you have to prove that you don't have unlawful intent where here the state has to prove that I do have unlawful intent. I can carry a hammer or a screwdriver or a rock without repercussion either in my hand or concealed under my jacket or in a pocket or on a string around my neck and it's not a crime. I notice that you have yet to provide statutes for your own area regarding the carrying of hammers and rocks

Last edited:
I notice that you have yet to provide statutes for your own area regarding the carrying of hammers and rocks.

I am going to conclude every single legal correspondence I write from here until forever with this line. That should confuse filing clerks and opposing counsel.

First let me just remind you that you started out with "carrying" and are still, it seems, ignoring the fact that Chicago Ordinances only prohibit "concealed carry". Where does it mention open carry? I'm used to seeing your shifting sand defence though so don't worry.

Secondly, where have I argued that your laws prohibit the carrying of rocks, hammers or screwdrivers? I have merely explained how the law can work over here (obviously not in simple enough terms). You might not like some of our laws just as I might not agree with some of yours. So what. Our law against carrying offensive weapons doesn't mention rocks, screwdrivers or hammers specifically. Nor does it mention sharpened combs which were a weapon of choice for some gangs years ago.

There are several categories of item that can be considered as offensive

Those made for causing injury to the person i.e. offensive per se.

Those adapted for such a purpose;

Those not so made or adapted, but carried with the intention of causing injury to the person.

In the first two categories, the prosecution does not have to prove that the defendant had the weapon with him for the purpose of inflicting injury: if the jury are sure that the weapon is offensive per se, the defendant will only be acquitted if he establishes lawful authority or reasonable excuse

It is under the 3rd definition that almost anything could be considered.

Last edited: