Thread JCC i have a question for you

But can it carry a coconut? Or possibly a rutabaga?

Gingery Coconut Stew With Brussels & Rutabaga

When the weather forecast starts mocking you with single digits, this stew hits all the right notes. Three degrees is simply not enough degrees! Brrrr.

Somehow there was not a single rutabaga recipe on the site! I don’t know how that happened because rutabaga is basically my spirit vegetable. With all it’s purpleness and earthiness and intensity. It’s like a wizened turnip. But if you can’t find any, turnips or parsnips would be great here, too.

Although you typically find rutabaga in European cooking, I love the combination of rooty veggies and Asian flavors. Here the rutabaga gives a great balance to the stew; naturally sweet from the coconut and the carrot, with contrasting lime notes and laced through and through with ginger. The seared Brussel sprouts add extra wintery goodness as well as a fun texture. Chickpeas round the whole thing out (no pun intended) (because chickpeas are round.)

So when life gives you three degrees, make this stew! Serve with some jasmine rice and warm up your life.

1 tablespoon coconut oil (refined or virgin)
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 lb Brussel sprouts, quartered [see note above]
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 heaping tablespoon fresh minced ginger
3/4 lb rutabaga, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
1 cup sliced carrots
4 cups vegetable broth
1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (1 1/2 cups)
1 5.5 ounce can coconut milk (about 1/2 a cup)
Juice of one lime
Zest of 1/2 lime
Salt to taste

Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Jasmine rice for serving

Preheat a 4 quart pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion in the oil with a big pinch of salt, until onions are lightly browned. Now add the brussels and try to get them lightly seared by making sure that they hit the surface of the pot. So just push the onions to the sides and let the brussels cook, giving them a stir every now and again. It doesn’t have to be perfect and not every single one needs to sear, just do your best!

Add ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes and mix in. Cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add the rutabaga, carrots and vegetable broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to simmer, and add the chickpeas and lime zest. Cook with the lid ajar (to let steam escape) until the rutabaga is tender (5 more minutes or so.)

Add coconut milk and lime juice, and taste for salt. Heat through, and serve with cilantro and extra red pepper flakes or Sriracha if you like.