Japan to Hollywood. Stop messing up our films.

Ryokurin

Erect Member
Oct 15, 2004
www.ryokurin.net
Marklar
₥0
Ever since the 90s remake of Godzilla I've had the belief that American's cannot remake, or in that movies sake create Japanese films properly. The list of things they will screw up or fuck with is infinite. Im not saying that every single one is bad, for instance The Ring was ok to a point and The Grudge was allright, but it was an almost carbon copy of the original because the original director re-did the film so in a sense it dosn't really count, but getting back on task add two more films to the list.

One that I hoped was a rumor a few years ago was Speed Racer and Vince Vaughan being Speed. Well, at least he's not speed but apparantly hes going to be fucking Racer X now. Needless to say its a Wachowski/Silver production as well. Granted they have done good with some movies such as the Matrix, but they also were the ones that gave us the disapointing and shitty Matrix Revolutions and Reloaded too. I know they know their Anime since the Matrix borrowed heavily from Megazone 23 and GITS but im going to call this a 60% chance of being a bad movie. http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/717/717148p1.html

Next up is Battle Royale. The first WTF is that the Japanese version was done in 2000. The movie ran just about everywhere else in the world except North America by 2002 so theres a fair amount of people who will freshly remember it. The second is that with Columbine and such still fresh in peoples minds if they dont tone it down or make it some sort of underground 'scared straight' system its going to completely get torn apart by the media. I dont buy the "if the original was released, it would be nc-17" as it has a bunch of blood, Hostel was sicker than the original, or the bloodier Directors Cut of the original BR.

Producer wise, this guy is about 50/50. The Grudge and The Ring was passable. Dark Water blew compared to the original but I do hear good things about The Lake House compared to Il Mare, I'll go see it this weekend to be sure. I dont buy the "Im a fan of the original so I wont do a bad version" bit as the road to hell is built on good intentions. Just give me the original, ignore BR 2 and at the minimal wait another 6 years before you try to redo it OK?
http://www.cinematical.com/2006/07/09/battle-royale-remake-news/

It's fairly simple of course... Don't watch the botched abortions that Hollywood produces these days. I haven't seen more than 3 minutes of 'The Grudge', yet I have seen Ju On more times than I care to remember. Battle Royale, Ichi the Killer, Ringu, Audition... All of these movies are available in Region one format on DVD.

Why waste time with inferior reproductions? Go to the source, watch the originals.

Ryokurin said:
Ever since the 90s remake of Godzilla I've had the belief that American's cannot remake, or in that movies sake create Japanese films properly. The list of things they will screw up or fuck with is infinite. Im not saying that every single one is bad, for instance The Ring was ok to a point and The Grudge was allright, but it was an almost carbon copy of the original because the original director re-did the film so in a sense it dosn't really count, but getting back on task add two more films to the list.

Why do people say that Ring and Grudge were worse American. The only difference I saw was more slanted eyes and subtitles. Other than that, the movie was the exact same.

Then people complain about the people making it when they apparently don't know that the director of the Japanese film was the Director of the American.

I'll never get that.

I saw the lakehouse. Movies always have problems when involving time travel. There was so many paradoxs and things that were over complicated that it started growing annoying.

Battle Royal the book was great. The culture of the people was such a huge element of the book that to Americanize it would screw too much with the story. Japanese kids react differently than American ones becuase of their culture. Americans aren't as bound by honor or social conduct.

The Ring was a horrible movie. Truely the worst hyped up piece of shit in a long time. I will be bitter about the time i wasted watching this film till the day i die.

OMG its soooo scary! ooo! ooo! ooohhhh!

GAHHHAHiohjfpsdnspqsd!!! :mad::mad::mad:

HydroSqueegee said:
The Ring was a horrible movie. Truely the worst hyped up piece of shit in a long time. I will be bitter about the time i wasted watching this film till the day i die.

OMG its soooo scary! ooo! ooo! ooohhhh!

GAHHHAHiohjfpsdnspqsd!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, I didnt get it either.
I think part of the problem is that Japanese films are centered around japanese folklore & such that that the round-eyes dont get.

Drool-Boy said:
Yeah, I didnt get it either.
I think part of the problem is that Japanese films are centered around japanese folklore & such that that the round-eyes dont get.

I saw the Grudge in the theater, and a Japanese woman in the seat next to me spent the entire movie shivering, moaning, and crying. I'm not exaggerating. Every time she saw the dead chick she would scream and cry, and her husband would console her and give me an apologetic look. Literally. I didn't get it. I wanted to punt the meowing kid, and the dead girl who crawled everywhere wasn't intimidating at all.

2 weeks after I saw the movie I saw a Japanese hidden video show where they had a bunch of women in pajamas watching the Grudge in a large room together, like a slumber horror party. A person dressed like the dead girl burst out of the cabinet the t.v. was sitting on and they all started screaming and crying too. Literally shaking and crying. The host was laughing, and all these young women looked suicidal with fear. It was pretty funny in a sadistic way but I still don't get the paralyzing fear over ghosts and demons and whatnot since I know nothing about Japanese culture.

:iono:

Coqui said:
Why do people say that Ring and Grudge were worse American. The only difference I saw was more slanted eyes and subtitles. Other than that, the movie was the exact same.

Then people complain about the people making it when they apparently don't know that the director of the Japanese film was the Director of the American.

I'll never get that.

Actually I said the Grudge was OK, but that was largely because the original Japanese director also did the US version so its essentially the same movie with more money. With the Ring they didn't need that horse part at all and they tried to make that kid look like he was 10 going on 30. it just didn't seem right.

I feel you on the girl thing Sarcasmo, I have a friend whos similar, but I think its kind of cute actually. Shes actually is one of the realist girls I know but thats another story.

Ahh, someone else that watched Marebito! ^_^ I thought it was very interesting, especially when you consider that it was shot during 8 days inbetween two of The Grudge films. I feel though that it started slipping away at the end, but the premise and potential was huge.

Also watched 3 Extremes recently, which did have a US Theatrical release. So that leads me to question why remake all this stuff into sub-par US versions if they are willing to release the Japanese versions of some into theaters? Anyway, it was pretty good. Fruit Chan's "Dumplings" was quite disturbing, and it was nice to see Miike branch out into a very traditional ghost story in "Box" instead of the normal gore shockfest. Park's "Cut" I didn't much care for, though I love his other stuff. "Oldboy" is currently one of my favs. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie. It's amazing.

Anyway, I can't believe they are making a US version of Battle Royale. And I completely agree with you comment on the gore level. I've seen the movie, and other than the content factor of little middle school kids savagely killing each other, it's still no where near as violent at Hostel was, or Hills Have Eyes, Devils Rejects, etc. Hell, the US versions of the Manga that you can find in any Borders or Barnes & Nobel are more disturbingly graphic than the movie was. What a crock of shit.

And if any of you get a chance, read the book. It's a great piece of literature.

How odd. I had no idea that Oldboy was part of a "Revenge Trilogy". I'll have to check out the other two for sure.