Ontopic Jacksonville police are all about the collateral damage.

"They were: Lt. J.E. York, a 22-year employee; Officer J.E. Lederman, a 13-year employee; Officer R.C. Santoro, an 11-year employee; Officer R. Black, a 2 1/2-year employee; and recruit D. Griffith, in field training and employed for a year.

It was the first officer-involved shooting for all but York, for whom it was the first officer-involved shooting where a suspect was shot."

What the hell was York shooting at before or is he just a bad shot?

Out of curiosity, what do you think the odds are that the robber would have let the three of them go without harm if the carjacking had been successful and they had gotten away? Oddly those officers may have saved that kid's life.

If he survives.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the odds are that the robber would have let the three of them go without harm if the carjacking had been successful and they had gotten away? Oddly those officers may have saved that kid's life.

If he survives.

He probably would have dumped the car and hostages asap.

I don't think many carjackers are looking to end up in jail with murdering 2 children added to their list of offenses

Reports are that they fired 42 shots on the car over a 40 second span.

wtf. Do they teach the 'redneck weekend' school of handgun control out there?

I don't think many carjackers are looking to end up in jail with murdering 2 children added to their list of offenses

WAW being true to form ITT.

The cops who used the guns irresponsibly should be tried as war criminals, the car jacker would never hurt a fly. In fact, the only reason the guy had to rob a a bank was to pay for medical bills, so really it's everyone's fault who is opposed to universal health care.

42 shots in 40 seconds for several people really isn't that many.

I'm not saying the cops didn't royally fuck up, because obviously they did, but that really isn't that many bullets.

5 guys, average about 9 shots each, one every four seconds per officer. rednecks would not be impressed.

I love how that article says that there's no information on whether the officers knew that there were other people in the car when it later says that the officers knew that the suspect had carjacked at a Wendy's drive-through? How many unoccupied vehicles go through a Wendy's drive-through every day? I'm willing to bet that's rare. If they didn't see anyone leave the vehicle then it stands to reason that there were people in there with the suspect.

I love how that article says that there's no information on whether the officers knew that there were other people in the car when it later says that the officers knew that the suspect had carjacked at a Wendy's drive-through? How many unoccupied vehicles go through a Wendy's drive-through every day? I'm willing to bet that's rare. If they didn't see anyone leave the vehicle then it stands to reason that there were people in there with the suspect.

regardless, should the cops fire 42 shots on a suspect that did not shoot at them even once?

WAW being true to form ITT.

The cops who used the guns irresponsibly should be tried as war criminals, the car jacker would never hurt a fly. In fact, the only reason the guy had to rob a a bank was to pay for medical bills, so really it's everyone's fault who is opposed to universal health care.

I'm sure you'd be absolutely thrilled if they shot 2 of your kids.

Sometimes carjackers throw the owner from the car. Location doesn't exactly say if anyone else is or isn't in the car.