ITT: We talk about political parties (Whigs vs. Tories)

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
What is everyone's political affiliation, and why?

I had a rather long conversation at lunch today with some coworkers about people's views on political parties, and we concluded that the average person doesn't know a thing about what their party is doing on Capitol Hill and why, and most people couldn't tell you more than 2 or 3 principles of their party without looking them up.

We also concluded that far too many people adopt their affiliations from their families. "Well, dad was a republican and it seemed to work for him, and I know republicans like war and I'm really into guns and war movies, so I'm a republican too I guess." That sort of thing.

And because of the first rule of thread making:

I'm AFP (America First party). We're creepy communists who like to screw sheep. And we're also into grass-roots reform mingled with common sense and the ideals of constitutional republicanism. I'm a patriot, first and foremost. I don't care who the candidate is or where they're from, as long as they possess wisdom and a primary concern for the nation and its people.

I can't stand that our leaders aren't average citizens with average pay and benefits, and I can't believe that our military is stretched to dozens and dozens of foreign countries for no reason. The nazis have been defeated, the Soviet Union is no more, and yet we're still based all over Europe.

I hate lobbyists, I hate special interests, I hate taxpayer subsidies of business, and I absolutely cannot abide being illegally taxed by my own government to provide aid to foreign governments and organizations.

The AFP is about all of these and more, so it suits me. And it's new, having been formed in 2002, so it has that revolutionary feel I like so much. I wanted to join a group who was just as angry as I am at our government and how we're selling away our sovereignty.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!

Republican - because that's what I was told to be by Rich White America (even thought I don't belong to RWA anymore) - I don't really no much about what the party is doing specifically, but I agree with their policies more than I do with Democratic ones - and I worked at the Pinellas County Republican Headquarters for the last Presidential Election

Bubbles said:
Republican - because that's what I was told to be by Rich White America (even thought I don't belong to RWA anymore) - I don't really no much about what the party is doing specifically, but I agree with their policies more than I do with Democratic ones - and I worked at the Pinellas County Republican Headquarters for the last Presidential Election

What's it like being rich? Are there really English gentlemen for hire as butlers out there?

Bubbles said:

There are more than two parties. Find one that suits you.

From what I can tell AFP and Libertarian are pretty much the same, except AFP is more active and not so much "leave me alone".

ChikkenNoodul said:
Libertarian, because I like guns and keeping the money that I earn.
Me too. Just like everyone else, it seems. Tons of people claim to be Libertarian, but there are very few represented inside the Beltway...

Sarcasmo said:

From what I can tell AFP and Libertarian are pretty much the same, except AFP is more active and not so much "leave me alone".

I will join this AFP on the condition that at some point in the next 40 years we take Washington DC by force!

fly said:
Me too. Just like everyone else, it seems. Tons of people claim to be Libertarian, but there are very few represented inside the Beltway...

So do you guys pay dues, or are you just members by principle?

Sarcasmo said:

I'm not sure I care enough to research different parties. The only elections I ever vote in are Presidential and there are only 2 parties. While I don't agree with all of them, I like the Republican view ponts better than the Democratic.

KNYTE said:
I will join this AFP on the condition that at some point in the next 40 years we take Washington DC by force!

That's actually pretty likely, if you look at how far we've devolved since WWII. I'm there, dude. Even if it's just the two of us. I wanna be Butch Cassidy, though. Sundance Kid just sounds gay.

I'm a Libertarian because I believe in pretty much everything the party stands for.

Here's a decient description:

libertarianism encompasses all or most of the following: strong support of individual civil liberties, social tolerance, and private property; belief in the positive powers of the free market; and an espousal of constitutionally limited and greatly reduced government. To put it succinctly, the libertarian believes in the freedom of individuals to pursue their lives as they see fit, as long as they cause no harm to others, with minimal governmental interference.

Edit: And as Sarcasmo said I am a patriot above all else. I try to think in terms of what is fair and just and best for the country. Even on the occasions when it doesn't futher my own personal interests.

Last edited:
Bubbles said:
I'm not sure I care enough to research different parties. The only elections I ever vote in are Presidential and there are only 2 parties. While I don't agree with all of them, I like the Republican view ponts better than the Democratic.

Tell me about it. Bipartisan elections are completely UnAmerican. Election after election it's about the lesser of two dickheads. Great way to run the country, huh?