ITT we recommend a book/movie/album to other members

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,113
Mmkay so ive been reading a lot recently and thought Id recommend some stuff.

A great book (and author) I read a month ago was Karin Slaughter - Blindsighted. It's set in Georgia and it's a detective-esque novel and is the first book about the characters this author writes about. It begins with a blind woman being stabbed to death and the detective in the area has to find who it is, along with the country coroner who is also his ex-wife - so you also get some lovey stuff in it.

I finished a book today called Out bu Natsuo Kirino who's apparently a big crime writer in Japan, this is the first book of hers to be published in English though. It was about 4oridnary women and one of them snaps and kills her husband, the other 3have to help her dismember and hide the body. The plot leads on to more murder and the yakuza get involved and its fucking awesome, if they made it into a film I would be salivating.

If nobodys heard of the author Harlan Coben (I take it he's pretty big in America though?) you should check his stuff out, I have every book by him and saw a new one at the weekend and had to get it. Usually writers get boring with their typical formulas and same old characters but I think he gave up on his characters and the book I got, "Just One Look", was an amazing book with twists until the last page. Good stuff.

I have no films or albums to recommend and I only made this because Im bored.

Please recommend me some more books, Im churning through the ones I have like there's no tomorrow. :heart:

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Dark Tower Series - Stephen King
White Oleander - Janet Fitch

NeedMoreEmo said:
Dan Brown sucks, after the worst book ever The Da Vinci Code Im never wasting my time on anything by him again.

Whats the last one about? Stephen King isnt my bag.
Last one's a little girly, you might not like it.
It's about a girl who has a psychotic mother, who kills her boyfriend then gets put in jail, so the girl: Astrid moves from foster home to foster home, and each one gets a little worse.
They made a movie out of it. It's a really good read though.

Lynnakitty said:
Last one's a little girly, you might not like it.
It's about a girl who has a psychotic mother, who kills her boyfriend then gets put in jail, so the girl: Astrid moves from foster home to foster home, and each one gets a little worse.
They made a movie out of it. It's a really good read though.

Sounds sort of like my sorta book unless it's too realistic.

There was a book about an abused kid that was made into the movie "Mocking birds dont cry" or something like that, was that ever a book?

NeedMoreEmo said:
Dan Brown sucks, after the worst book ever The Da Vinci Code Im never wasting my time on anything by him again.

Whats the last one about? Stephen King isnt my bag.

I agree with you so much it's not funny. I read Angels and Demons and felt absolutely retarded when I was through.

Neil Stephenson anyone?

NeedMoreEmo said:
Sounds sort of like my sorta book unless it's too realistic.

There was a book about an abused kid that was made into the movie "Mocking birds dont cry" or something like that, was that ever a book?
How to Kill a Mocking Bird?
I think that's a movie

jaxxor said:
I agree with you so much it's not funny. I read Angels and Demons and felt absolutely retarded when I was through.

Neil Stephenson anyone?
:( I loved Angels and Demons.

jaxxor said:

Neil Stephenson anyone?

I can't imagine feeling any more deflated after spending 2days on a book. I hope that guy gets killed or something for making crappy books that appeal to housewives.

Who's he and what does write?

Edit: And I forgot to add, Dan Browns book arent even well WRITTEN. Wtf is up with that?

NeedMoreEmo said:
Might be a different title here, Im sure it said on the trailer I saw on a vid once that it was based on a true story.
I can't remember I read it in like Grade 9..
I'm suddenly reminded of Bridge to Terribithia.. that's a book too isn't it?

NeedMoreEmo said:
I can't imagine feeling any more deflated after spending 2days on a book. I hope that guy gets killed or something for making crappy books that appeal to housewives.

Who's he and what does write?

Edit: And I forgot to add, Dan Browns book arent even well WRITTEN. Wtf is up with that?

for reals, I was mad at my gf for getting me started on it. his writing style is insulting to Readers.

Stephenson wrote Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon (my favorite book in the world), and The Baroque Cycle. Imagine some sort of blend of treasure hunting, adventures, war, cyberpunk, humour, and economics. Not for lightweights. Or women :eek:

Recently my daughter borrowed "The Lost Empire" from the library on DVD http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198779/ and was bugging me to watch it. Finally I did, and laughed most of the way through it. I don't generally sit still long enough to watch much of anything, so this was unusual for me

My daughter and I both have a rather weird sense of humor :o

jaxxor said:
for reals, I was mad at my gf for getting me started on it. his writing style is insulting to Readers.

Stephenson wrote Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon (my favorite book in the world), and The Baroque Cycle. Imagine some sort of blend of treasure hunting, adventures, war, cyberpunk, humour, and economics. Not for lightweights. Or women :eek:

Yeah, I could have come up a more interesting plot. Talk about generic and overused.

I'll see if they have anything by him in the library and give it a go, Im not sure it's my sort of thing, and not because I have boobs.

dreamwalker said:
Recently my daughter borrowed "The Lost Empire" from the library on DVD http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198779/ and was bugging me to watch it. Finally I did, and laughed most of the way through it. I don't generally sit still long enough to watch much of anything, so this was unusual for me

My daughter and I both have a rather weird sense of humor :o

Wasn't that about the Romans or something? :confused:

It's been a few years since I last read a book. I can recommend Dean R. Koontz though. Love his books. The last one I read was "Intensity" which also made it to a TV-movie, a good one at that (for a TV-movie). I've read 5-6 of his books and wasn't dissapointed by any of them.

jaxxor said:

He wrote a few others, and they're all damn good IMO :D