ITT: We discuss controversial legal issues.

fly said:
That is exactly NOT what the Framers had in mind. Anything not spelled out in the Constitution was the domain of the states...

(However, with all the planning they did, they couldn't plan for the interstate commerce clause :()

this makes it federal:

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

taeric said:
How does that make abortion a federal concern? Unless all surgery is a federal concern. Is it?
I think he's trying to point out Roe v Wade was determined on 'the right to privacy'.

Valid state interests, however, must be weighed against the constitutional rights granted to individuals in order to determine whether a law is a constitutional exercise of power. Even though the "Constitution does not explicitly mention any right of privacy" the court found support for a constitutional right of privacy in the First Amendment, Fourth Amendment, Fifth Amendment, Ninth Amendment, and Fourteenth Amendment. The court found this "right of privacy" to be "broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy."

Then for the other half of it:

When weighing the competing interests the Court also noted that if the fetus was defined as a person for purposes of the Fourteenth Amendment then the fetus would have a specific right to life under that Amendment. However, given the relatively recent nature of abortion criminalization, the Court determined that the original intent of the Constitution up to the enactment of the Fourteenth Amendment in 1868 did not include the unborn. It should be noted that the Court's determination of whether a fetus can enjoy Constitutional protection is separate from the notion of when life begins. To that, the Court said, "We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer."

Last edited:
You guys beat me to it. That story is just frigg'in hilarious.

If only PA could harnass their collective readership's power more often. :)

This does lead me to wonder about how effective the "gaming" community is at organizing themselves politically. I know they are getting a flood of letters at the Florida bar, but I remember last election there were a lot of people that didn't vote from the forums. How involved is everyone here in politics? I know theac is. I'm sadly not. Stuff like this does make me want to be, though.

taeric said:
You guys beat me to it. That story is just frigg'in hilarious.

If only PA could harnass their collective readership's power more often. :)

This does lead me to wonder about how effective the "gaming" community is at organizing themselves politically. I know they are getting a flood of letters at the Florida bar, but I remember last election there were a lot of people that didn't vote from the forums. How involved is everyone here in politics? I know theac is. I'm sadly not. Stuff like this does make me want to be, though.

I vote but that's about the extent of my involvement

Bubbles said:
You can take the boy out of Norway, but you can't take the viking out of the boy

You should see me when the forums go down.

mischief1.jpg

theacoustician said:
Playing the "President's Intern" with your Real Doll isn't being politically active.

Roleplaying is a very effective way of engaging one's creativity and enhancing their assertiveness.

And being balls deep in silicone feels nice.