ITT: I rant about computers

Intel is king now in terms of performance. The things that made AMD shine before are no longer there.

Price per performance on the low end really, strange to me since the last time I bought a CPU before this year - to get the comparable performance out of an Intel chip, it was gonna cost at least twice as much, if not more.

Price per performance on the low end really, strange to me since the last time I bought a CPU before this year - to get the comparable performance out of an Intel chip, it was gonna cost at least twice as much, if not more.

Noted.

I'm going to build a computer. ATM I know a good deal about computers but I've never actually delt with building the hardware myself. I either get one that someone else put together or I buy laptops (all through college for example).

I figure if I could graduate at the top of my class in University I can figure out how to build a sodding computer.

Now's a great time to build, powerful dual-core Intel chips are cheap, RAM is reasonable, the video card wars have driven prices down dramatically, just don't go for top of the line since you'll regret it when the prices drop substantially in just a month or two :fly:

I have no intent. I do the following things with my computer:

Surf the internet
Play WoW
Watch my TV shows
Multi task and take up RAM
Leave my system on for weeks at a time
And soon, play WAR

These things do not demand huge performance. They demand decent CPU, lots of RAM (not as much for Vista as for XP) and a vid card. The one I have now in the other tower I have which I only semi-built is great. The rest of the tower is crap.

I just want to build a machine 64 bit for Vista with at least 3-4 gigs of ram .5 TB of HDD space, and enough of a vid card to play WoW and WAR (which I already have).

I'm simple but picky. My computer runs EVERYTHING I do for my entertainment. TV shows, music, games, and pr0nz. No not prawns. Grocery stores have those. See what I did thar? :rolleyes:

No one reads my whole posts. No one.

edit:

Now that I think about it.

The tower I have now could get me by for a bit until I finalize the case, PSU, CPU, RAM, HDD, and wireless network card here is what I need:

A new CD/DVD drive. The one I have now is a lite-on and is just totally dead. I need to re-format as it's been 5 years on that tower since I've actually done that (against my better judgment). I have an OEM copy of Windows XP sp1 that came with my Dell latitude D600 that I bought when I started my capstone and historical research and museum archiving 4 years ago. Would I be able to pop that in with a new driv3e and format on another computer? I'm pretty sure I can from a disc that old as it does not take not eof the hardware specs that the system is using. But hell I could be wrong. My computer knowledge is how to keep a machine running clean fast and clear to keep those up times of weeks on end. That's about it.

edit 2:

i see I've had a few too many tang 10 martinis because the above is some terrible sentence structure and....

Fuck it I'm going to bed.

Last edited:
Not all of us have ADHD.

You will need a new copy of what ever you use for an OS. OEM versions of an OS are usually tied to what ever motherboard they are first install on. If you want to do a lot of hardware switching. You will need a retail version of the OS.

Well that'll work. I'd look for a small drive to put the OS on (and 10k rpm if you want to sink another $100) and a put everything else on another one. That way when windows self destructs (happens about yearly for me) you can just reinstall the OS, run the setup programs and BAM.

I had to reinstall WOW like 2 weeks ago, it is not something that is fun.

how do you guys manage to blow up windows on a yearly basis? I'm on a 4 year old install that runs like a top :p

how do you guys manage to blow up windows on a yearly basis? I'm on a 4 year old install that runs like a top :p

same. Hell if I know what people are doing. I can keep my OLD windows boxes with 2-3 plus weeks uptime. My only question regarding this build: do I have anything to worry about with drivers and 64 bit or has all that anti-64 bit hype faded? Also, is there anything I should be aware of with that hardware set up?

I know you from CGHMN so I know you know your shit. I'm in WAR beta now (lol pre-order) and now I want to build a machine that can blow that game up. :drool:

edit:

I'm also going to add this vid card off the bat:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150276

It's not amazing but it will do WAR at max settings and it will laugh @ WoW

Last edited:

MBR gets corrupt, registry gets corrupt, system files mysteriously disappear. Last time it was because anti virus software didnt detect a virus.

Im so sleepy.

Now that I think about it I've been using the same case for my PC for about the last 5 years. It's been through 3 or 4 different sets of internal parts at this point.

same. Hell if I know what people are doing. I can keep my OLD windows boxes with 2-3 plus weeks uptime. My only question regarding this build: do I have anything to worry about with drivers and 64 bit or has all that anti-64 bit hype faded? Also, is there anything I should be aware of with that hardware set up?

I know you from CGHMN so I know you know your shit. I'm in WAR beta now (lol pre-order) and now I want to build a machine that can blow that game up. :drool:

edit:

I'm also going to add this vid card off the bat:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150276

It's not amazing but it will do WAR at max settings and it will laugh @ WoW

According to the article I read at Toms yesterday the ATI HD 3850 is $90 and is your best bang for the buck...

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102715 $85 after MIR...