its not a blog i just think its funny

Penis Envy

Giant Member
Sep 2, 2005
Orlando
Marklar
₥481
So i've been in Manhattan working for the past week and i was told before getting here that the project was already over budget and to get things done as fast as possible. No problem right. I had the technical documents 3 days before arriving so i had more then enough time to prepare.

I get here on Tuesday and the guy in charge of my project at the place i'm working at is on vacation for a week. No big deal as i have the tech doc and i just need the server IP addresses.

Who has those?
"crickets chirping"

by tuesday at 3 we finally figured out where the servers were so i can start but no-one knows what server is for what purpose or if there are other servers outside the DMZ that we need to configure.

OKEY!!!! Tuesdays shot.. chuck 2k OTD .. budget = 2,000 less
Wednesday get started, who has the software.
"John has the software, he'll be in an hour"

SWEET.. lets dump 250 down that toilet while we're at it
John gets here.. Great.. have the install software, hey where can i share this out from.
"we dont have space to share it out, you'll have to use 1 CD-ROM drive"
4 servers, at 2 hour installs each.
2,000.. damn toilet is over flowing now... someone get a plunger

Finish the install of the software and begin configurations through the end of the week. I arrive at some AD configuration crap and i need someone from IT to assist as i dont have access..

i've been waiting on that for over 4 hours.
Lets take that plunger out we have some more money to shove in there.

OK OK.. i have time, wheres the development servers (setting up 3 environments)
"oh, we dont have those"
me: "So your just going straight to production without testing anything"
"yeah for now"
*silent laughing*
So what do i do after this install is done (hopefully today)
install client software on freakin desktops. Are you KIDDING ME!?!?!
You have crappy IT guys making 1/4 of what you are being charged for me.... GET THE DAMN SERVERS

Total cost for me to be here.. 30k for 11 days.
could have been split in half.

Are all IT departments this way?? WTF, we weren't nearly this bad when i was working with our IT department.
Meh, time to get coffee, this is fun.

I have seen this kind of thing many times before. Public sector consistently in situtations like this; usually worse than this.

Sarcasmo said:
There's a demilitarized zone in Manhattan?

It is either hilarious or scary that we thought the same thing while reading the blog, I'm not sure which yet. And I even know what a dmz is :lol:

Last edited:
Sarcasmo said:
There's a demilitarized zone in Manhattan?
Yup, not many people know this. It goes from 110th St/Central Park North down 5th Ave and then cuts across 96th street.

kekeke

The company I used to work for used a IT consulting place for all its programming. So there were always at least one, if not two, of these consultant programmers there every day.

Of course, then consulting firm was owned by the friend of the IT boss.

And of course, the company went bankrupt. Luckily I had left by that point.

It was just stupid to overpay these guys when you apparently have a constant need for a programmer.

So yes, there are plenty of other mornonic IT departments out there.

Edit: Why does it say I posted at 10:49am CST? It's 3:40pm.

FlyNavy said:
yeah, our IT department is staffed by complete morons

oh wait:chikken:

that being said, you never replied to my blog thread :(
yes i did..

i was impressed :D
I would have gone though.. money or not

*edit* How is my post before your post?

inline4 said:
yes i did..

i was impressed :D
I would have gone though.. money or not

*edit* How is my post before your post?
I still have a chance to go, it's not til the weekend after next :o hey if I can afford I don't see why not...unless this girl manages to piss me off

Oh how that brings back memories. I was a paid consultant back in the day too.

One day I was actually being paid to sit and add user accounts to the new NT 4 server. Only problem wa the douchebag IT guy and the Help Desk Manager "glorified secretary" were rebooting the server every 10 minutes. They thought it was funny until they got the work order they had too sign and saw how many hours I sat there.