Baby It's flys fault I have to make another book thread

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,417
Search brings me this: '
connection to ec2-54-221-236-5.compute-1.amazonaws.com:9306 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)'

:jvag:

So what is everyone reading this January? I treated myself to a few books at Christmas, @DJBrenton still hasn't got me any (or any other Christmas present for those who would like to chastise him).

Currently reading:

Freedom - Jonathan Franzen

Pretty good fictional bio of a family and all the relationships within it. It's won a few literary awards iirc but it's not high brow as you would expect.

The Macho Paradox: Why some men hurt women and how all men can help - Jackson Katz

Good book about violence

I am an emotional creature - Eve Ensler

Some pretty powerful and cool poetry influenced by Ensler's time speaking with women and listening to their stories for over a decade

I am shortly moving on to two novels by Isabel Allende once I'm in a more high brow literary mood, but I'm very much looking forward to them.

So what are you all reading? @b_sinning @Dharma etc

Last edited by a moderator:
No I mean socks with toes which is why, oddly, I wrote WITH toes rather than WITHOUT toes. Are you sure whole books are a good idea if you can't even understand one, simple, written sentence?

Who isn't/aren't sure? Your near sentence lacks a personal pronoun. It's a good thing you're studying English Literature rather than English Language or even a Desmond might be beyond you.

I found The Incrementalists by Steven Brust and Skyler White
It's... weird.

About a group of people who, somehow, have been able to keep a sort of collective memory going since the beginning of mankind. Each person's body eventually dies off, so then they end up needing a new one. Once they find someone who will work in the group, they invite them into the group, then there is a sort of melding of personalities of the last person to have an individual chain of memories and the new person.
Their collective goal is to incrementally improve things in the world one small step at a time.

It's interesting

YAYAYYA!!!!

I'm reading:
The Cormorant by Chuck Wendig
The 3rd book in the Miriam Black series and I highly recommend it. I fucking love Wendig. He reminds me of Drool.

Sweet Tooth by Jeff Lemire
Graphic novel series about a illness that kills off 90% of the population and the kids that are born after the illness are hybrid animals.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
This one has been very confusing to read, my (oh it turns out) Bi-Sexual-Poly-Ex-Librarian-Co-Worker suggested trying this as an audiobook because its better understood when read aloud.

YAYAYYA!!!!

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
This one has been very confusing to read, my (oh it turns out) Bi-Sexual-Poly-Ex-Librarian-Co-Worker suggested trying this as an audiobook because its better understood when read aloud.

Watch the film. It's one of the few books that are better in film. Also, if you're reading an American copy, it may have a final chapter missing.

Last edited:
I found The Incrementalists by Steven Brust and Skyler White
It's... weird.

About a group of people who, somehow, have been able to keep a sort of collective memory going since the beginning of mankind. Each person's body eventually dies off, so then they end up needing a new one. Once they find someone who will work in the group, they invite them into the group, then there is a sort of melding of personalities of the last person to have an individual chain of memories and the new person.
Their collective goal is to incrementally improve things in the world one small step at a time.

It's interesting

So it's about trills then

Fresh Water Submarines: The Manitowoc Story

Peter H. Cooke said:
his is the story of how a Great Lakes shipyard in Manitowoc, Wisconsin came to produce 28 submarines from 1942-1945. It was written by an admiral who commanded two Manitowoc submarines. After a brief history of shipbuilding in Manitowoc the author describes how submarines which had a minimum draft of 12 feet could be transported through a channel 9 feet deep by carrying the submarines in a floating dry dock. There are details of construction, sea (lake) trials and the hazards of taking the dry-docked boat down narrow stretches of the Mississippi.
There are a number of photos including the cover which shows the sideways launching of a sub. Included is a table of ships sunk in combat which totaled about 500,000 tons.
The company has evolved into making cranes, refrigeration equipment as well as shipbuilding and dry dock operations.

The Kid: The Immortal Life of Ted Williams

This book shows Ted Williams life, wort's and all. It's written by Ben Bradlee Jr., a former Boston Globe sports writer.

The Day The Revolution Ended: 19 October 1781

Nothin' to Lose, the Making of KISS 1972 - 1975 by Ken Sharpe. Chronicles the formation and early years of the band through interviews of the original 4 members, management, roadies, other bands they toured with ect. Very in-depth and detailed. Really walks the reader through how these guys went from a bunch of nobodies to one of the biggest band in the world in a three year period.