Ontopic It's Death for the Boston Bomber

i heard recently (past few years or so), that hawaii was offering one way tickets for homeless back to the mainland.
I bet that worked well. "So you'll give me a ticket to go live in New York/California/Texas whatever where I'll have to deal with extreme weather and droughts and snow and who knows what, or I can continue to stay here in paradise and bum on the beach? Thanks for the offer, but I'm gonna decline."

i heard recently (past few years or so), that hawaii was offering one way tickets for homeless back to the mainland.

That idea has had waves of local support over the years, but I'm not sure if any policy like that is available, and if it is, it's not being used. And why would they leave? The selling feature for coming here is you don't freeze to death on the streets in the winter. It sucks, but what can we do?

I can make a whole 'nother thread about this topic. Our homeless population is comprised mostly of mainland transients and Micronesians (as part of COFA). The populations are so large that we have recently enacted sit/lie bans on public property in parts of the county to herd the homeless out of Waikiki and the tourist oriented areas because our visitors don't want to see their filth. It ends up being a perfect case of NIMBY - not in my back yard. The bans have happened in nearby metro areas of our island, and the homeless are being pushed farther westward. As the homeless are swept out of areas, their presence in a new location becomes highly concentrated and a overwhelming nuisance on that neighborhood. Communities of homeless people have developed where they are living in what are basically a series of tents. One so prominent that it's being called "the village." We may be headed to a point where homelessness is illegal altogether and that will present its own set of problems.

That idea has had waves of local support over the years, but I'm not sure if any policy like that is available, and if it is, it's not being used. And why would they leave? The selling feature for coming here is you don't freeze to death on the streets in the winter. It sucks, but what can we do?

I can make a whole 'nother thread about this topic. Our homeless population is comprised mostly of mainland transients and Micronesians (as part of COFA). The populations are so large that we have recently enacted sit/lie bans on public property in parts of the county to herd the homeless out of Waikiki and the tourist oriented areas because our visitors don't want to see their filth. It ends up being a perfect case of NIMBY - not in my back yard. The bans have happened in nearby metro areas of our island, and the homeless are being pushed farther westward. As the homeless are swept out of areas, their presence in a new location becomes highly concentrated and a overwhelming nuisance on that neighborhood. Communities of homeless people have developed where they are living in what are basically a series of tents. One so prominent that it's being called "the village." We may be headed to a point where homelessness is illegal altogether and that will present its own set of problems.

state run prison ships that sale to cali and drop off anyone who wants a commuted sentence.

While this goes against my beliefs of a free society, it is aparently a very serious problem. So since you have such a huge problem, that's when you get the community together and propose to section off an area of state owned land where the homeless can congregate and live, without having to worry about being harassed by locals and tourists. Make it so that if they leave that area and set up shop somewhere else, they will be "deported" back to that area where they are free to live. Only the basic services will be provided to them by the state, unless other organizations provide services to them, that do not cost the tax payers money. All of the Federal, State and Local laws still apply to them, and the area will continue to be monitored by the local authorities.

While this goes against my beliefs of a free society, it is aparently a very serious problem. So since you have such a huge problem, that's when you get the community together and propose to section off an area of state owned land where the homeless can congregate and live, without having to worry about being harassed by locals and tourists. Make it so that if they leave that area and set up shop somewhere else, they will be "deported" back to that area where they are free to live. Only the basic services will be provided to them by the state, unless other organizations provide services to them, that do not cost the tax payers money. All of the Federal, State and Local laws still apply to them, and the area will continue to be monitored by the local authorities.

is there population control in your homelessville? How do you account for homeless growth from babies and other people struggling and want to just go get a 'piece' of sectioned land to park their crappy trailer on and live?

I'm just talking logistics, not emotional trainwreck arguments.

Internment camps.
You're talking about internment camps

• Gravy
Reactions: plot
is there population control in your homelessville? How do you account for homeless growth from babies and other people struggling and want to just go get a 'piece' of sectioned land to park their crappy trailer on and live?

I'm just talking logistics, not emotional trainwreck arguments.
That's one of the deals with this proposal. It's just kind of a relocation and containment plan. It doesn't really provide any logistical solutions if the plan were to get put into place. Simply an outside-the-box, unconventional solution to a problem that has no real solution.

That's one of the deals with this proposal. It's just kind of a relocation and containment plan. It doesn't really provide any logistical solutions if the plan were to get put into place. Simply an outside-the-box, unconventional solution to a problem that has no real solution.
the beginning of more 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions. . . '