IT Budgets?

Sp`ange

Flaccid Member
Nov 19, 2004
33.745091, -84.390205
www.uselessforums.com
Marklar
₥0
I want to figure out an IT budget for my work, but I have no idea where to begin. We don't have that many machines (3 servers & 32 workstations) and buying is need based. But, it's a pain in the ass to get anything that we need because if it costs more than $500, I have to see the owner and do this and do that and wait a few days/weeks and then a decision is made. An IT budget would prevent overspending and still allow me to get something that is necessary.

Is there a standard formula I can use or something? If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be a great help.

I personally think budgets are a waste of time. All they really do is create overspending when the year is almost over and there's still room left. Or, they make management think a department is spending too much when it probably isn't.

Budgets are for middle management to justify their jobs.

IT budgets suck. Be glad you're doing it for a small business. Our yearly budget is millions and we still struggle to stay within in it. But that also takes into account software licensing.

the 3-4 year then throw away the unit thing is the way to go. figure up which computers will be out of warranty and need to be replaced this year and start there. you'll build up a stockpile of old computer parts and shit that'll still work perfectly for the small disasters and end up with some loaner comps when shit hits the fan... pick a line of computers and stick with it so the parts are for the most part interchangable and you'll be good to go.

no idea how to go about the server issues

ideally, you'll have a list of 32 computers in a spreadsheet somewhere with the dates they go out of warranty, and those are the computers you should replace every year.

Last edited:
I personally think budgets are a waste of time. All they really do is create overspending when the year is almost over and there's still room left. Or, they make management think a department is spending too much when it probably isn't.

Budgets are for middle management to justify their jobs.

You are thinking on a larger scale. I just want access to funds when it is necessary without having to fuck around.

A 3-4 year sunset policy on just about everything. That should make the budget easy...

you have no idea how many of our machines are past that point. both of our windows servers are compaq dual PIII xeons.

the 3-4 year then throw away the unit thing is the way to go. figure up which computers will be out of warranty and need to be replaced this year and start there. you'll build up a stockpile of old computer parts and shit that'll still work perfectly for the small disasters and end up with some loaner comps when shit hits the fan... pick a line of computers and stick with it so the parts are for the most part interchangable and you'll be good to go.

no idea how to go about the server issues

ideally, you'll have a list of 32 computers in a spreadsheet somewhere with the dates they go out of warranty, and those are the computers you should replace every year.

I have enough loaner computers. I don't need anymore more of that shit piling up.

well, it's not even about the extra computers coming in, it's about keeping everyones computer no older than 4 years or whatever and ditching them when warranty is up is a good way to do it. or extending the warranty a year if it's in decent condition and they let you. also gives you a good # for budgeting every year, instead of the hit and miss guess when someone needs a new computer idea.

man would i ever love it if we could do this. we have to beg for new systems. fortunately the person in charge of puchasing decision currently has the worst machine in the place. mine is the second worst. no upgrade for her until we replace both machines.

man would i ever love it if we could do this. we have to beg for new systems. fortunately the person in charge of puchasing decision currently has the worst machine in the place. mine is the second worst. no upgrade for her until we replace both machines.

that the same with me. it's easy to get new stuff when the boss is the one wanting it. though, he'll do something stupid like buying the PC himself. Last time we ended up with machines with XP MCE and XP Home on them.

that the same with me. it's easy to get new stuff when the boss is the one wanting it. though, he'll do something stupid like buying the PC himself. Last time we ended up with machines with XP MCE and XP Home on them.

mce can be hacked to join a domain and home likely can be too

but yeah, 3 years and trash the shit when the warranty is up