Isn't being intolerant of intolerance intolerant?

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
So June is apparently "Pride" month..or something (not Gay Pride, just "Pride"). I know this because my company has put up flyers and signs all over the building promoting "tolerance and acceptance of gay and lesbian lifestyles and views". The signs feature bright, vibrant colors and graphics, quotes from "tolerant" people in the community and in history and even a picture of two men sitting together on a bench smiling as if they're enjoying a fine afternoon in the park. My obvious question? Why am I being forced to endure this?

I'll throw it out so everyone knows; I couldn't care less about your lifestyle or who you choose to love or be with. If one man makes another man (or two women) happy and brings light to his life, who am I to persecute them or tell them what they're doing is wrong? If it makes them happy, my stance is that they are of course entitled to that happiness. But is it really necessary to put up signs proclaiming that it is my, or anyone's for that matter, responsibility to be tolerant of lifestyle choice? No one puts up signs saying "YOU HAVE TO PRETEND TO LIKE KYLE MCCUTCHAN SIMPLY BECAUSE HE'S A HUMAN BEING!", why do people of any race, creed, sex, choice, or disability deserve that kind of press?

I guess the bottom line here is; By pointing out the achievements and accomplishments of one group of people in order to show others how great they are; aren't you just indirectly further seperating them from the counter-groups that exist even further? Instead of promoting "Look how great this person is because they're *black/mexican/gay/a woman*" shouldn't you try to promote generalized acceptance of everyone?

Thoughts?

repost.

We all think the same way.

Mods please move to genmay.

Replacing indirect discrimination with direct discrimination. hoho! never heard of that before, well noticed.

Galen said:
Replacing indirect discrimination with direct discrimination. hoho! never heard of that before, well noticed.

shutup you stupid brit, you don't even have black people over there.

If this wasn't a world full of homophobia/racism/hate, then your argument holds water. However, without that in your face kind of stuff, people hold their hatred tightly.

Look at how far the gay community has come in the last 20-30 years. Do you think they would be accepted as they are now if they would have just been quiet about it? The 'in your face' stuff gets people oddly accustomed/comfortable with it.

fly said:
If this wasn't a world full of homophobia/racism/hate, then your argument holds water. However, without that in your face kind of stuff, people hold their hatred tightly.

Look at how far the gay community has come in the last 20-30 years. Do you think they would be accepted as they are now if they would have just been quiet about it? The 'in your face' stuff gets people oddly accustomed/comfortable with it.

True, you are pretty in our face about it. :fly:

smileynev said:
shutup you stupid brit, you don't even have black people over there.

gotblacks.jpg

I agree with Knyte, though... regardless of any positive effect, these awareness promotions also throw into sharp relief the very differences they say shouldn't matter. It's almost as if they're saying:

"See these two things? Isn't it amazing how different they are? Why, I could just go on and on and on about all the things that are different. Don't pay any attention to that, though... just pretend they're the same."

fly said:

True, now instead of hating them because they are gay, people hate them because they are so fucking annoying.

They have to fight to get equal ground is all. When they have enough foundation, you'll see a decline in "in your face" stuff. You don't see many black rights/women's rights stuff much anymore. It's because there's equal ground, for the most part (I know someone will argue this.) The gay thing is still brand new.

Thorn Bird said:
They have to fight to get equal ground is all. When they have enough foundation, you'll see a decline in "in your face" stuff. You don't see many black rights/women's rights stuff much anymore. It's because there's equal ground, for the most part (I know someone will argue this.) The gay thing is still brand new.

Will there be gay riots? That would be cool.

Thorn Bird said:

Uh... most of the womens rights schtick I've heard in the last few years has been exceedingly "in your face."