Isn't being intolerant of intolerance intolerant?

itburnswhenipee said:
That's a whole other issue. I'm just disagreeing with smileynev's claim that an educated populace doesn't have any kind of bigotry, racial or otherwise.

Not enough for it to be as big an issue as it is now.

itburnswhenipee said:
Maybe an unprejudiced populace. Not that such a thing has ever existed... every society has some level or racisim or classism... or some other ism.
Yea, basically the slate has to be whiped completely clean, which isn't going to happen.

We need to get all Fight Club up in here.

itburnswhenipee said:
Truly educated? What the fuck is truly educated?

They can identify in an instant the fluid excreted from a woman's anus in a violent expulsion.

itburnswhenipee said:
Truly educated? What the fuck is truly educated?

That was an elitist statement, dumbass. By truly educated I was implying enlightened, which isn't something that can be easily taught to everyone. But, if someone is educated they should understand that skin color has no effect on who a person is.

itburnswhenipee said:
I think it's more a fucntion of culture than it is of education.

It comes back to education. A culture exists because its members are educated in the ways of their predecessors.

smileynev said:
That was an elitist statement, dumbass. By truly educated I was implying enlightened, which isn't something that can be easily taught to everyone. But, if someone is educated they should understand that skin color has no effect on who a person is.

Ah... so the notion that skin color is unrelated to a person's nature is something that requires education? There are classes explaining that, unlike the colors on a traffic signal, the color of a person's skin does not have some built in meaning?

itburnswhenipee said:
Ah... so the notion that skin color is unrelated to a person's nature is something that requires education? There are classes explaining that, unlike the colors on a traffic signal, the color of a person's skin does not have some built in meaning?

look at all the people that judge others merely based on the color of their skin. Are you saying that it doesn't happen?

smileynev said:
look at all the people that judge others merely based on the color of their skin. Are you saying that it doesn't happen?

I guess I'm taking issue with the word 'education.' You can educate someone on a belief system, but by doing so you cannot make them believe it.

itburnswhenipee said:
Okay, smart guy... how does one go about truly educating a population?

focus time and resources into schooling. Make education a number one priority. Make education a prideful thing, something to brag about. Encourage parents to take an active role.

In the schools get back to basics. Make sure that every student can read, do math, and write coherently. Teach them history in a thorough, factual manner. Teach sociology, anthropology. Ensure that every student graduates but, more importantly, make sure that every student has earned the right to graduate.

Pay teachers what they are worth. If they aren't good at their jobs, fire them. If they are good, give them raises and praise and commend them for their work. Get rid of the educational bureaucracy.

itburnswhenipee said:
I guess I'm taking issue with the word 'education.' You can educate someone on a belief system, but by doing so you cannot make them believe it.

If you understand that there is guiding principal that directs every black man's thoughts, its harder to hate them as a group.

belief it often based on only partial information. Give them everything they need to know and they will form their own beliefs.

smileynev said:
focus time and resources into schooling. Make education a number one priority. Make education a prideful thing, something to brag about. Encourage parents to take an active role.

In the schools get back to basics. Make sure that every student can read, do math, and write coherently. Teach them history in a thorough, factual manner. Teach sociology, anthropology. Ensure that every student graduates but, more importantly, make sure that every student has earned the right to graduate.

Pay teachers what they are worth. If they aren't good at their jobs, fire them. If they are good, give them raises and praise and commend them for their work. Get rid of the educational bureaucracy.

These are admirable goals, but that's all they are. What processes will lead to schools getting "back to basics?" How will cirriculums be changed? How will teacher performance be evaluated? What criteria will be used to determine that a student has earned the "right" to graduate, which is, apparently, not an option? There are a million details which need to be worked out. You're really oversimplifying here.

smileynev said:
If you understand that there is guiding principal that directs every black man's thoughts, its harder to hate them as a group.

belief it often based on only partial information. Give them everything they need to know and they will form their own beliefs.

I'm going to quote this again:

Give them everything they need to know...

Who the fuck makes that determination? What kind of finite snow-globe of a universe do you live in that allows people to be told everything that they need to know to form their own beliefs.

Also:

Wouldn't it be easier to say "...there is guiding principal that directs every man's thoughts..." and leave race out of it entirely?

itburnswhenipee said:
These are admirable goals, but that's all they are. What processes will lead to schools getting "back to basics?" How will cirriculums be changed? How will teacher performance be evaluated? What criteria will be used to determine that a student has earned the "right" to graduate, which is, apparently, not an option? There are a million details which need to be worked out. You're really oversimplifying here.

You asked and I answered.

Curriculums could be developed by teachers with proven track records of producing smarter then average students. Teacher performance would be based on how well their students perform on standardized tests as well as the length of time it takes their students to move on and graduate. Standardized testing based on teacher feedback would determine how and when a student graduates. And I'm not talking a test a year kind of stuff. I'm talking weekly and monthly testing.

As opposed to current classroom conditions where you have 30 plus students per teacher, you pair it down to 10 students or so. And instead of moving from one grade to the next, you create levels of education, say 3. A teacher is responsible for that level for however long it takes her students to move onto the next, usually a span of 3-5 years.

itburnswhenipee said:
I'm going to quote this again:

Who the fuck makes that determination? What kind of finite snow-globe of a universe do you live in that allows people to be told everything that they need to know to form their own beliefs.

Also:

Wouldn't it be easier to say "...there is guiding principal that directs every man's thoughts..." and leave race out of it entirely?

No one determines anything. You educate someone to the fullest that can be done and let them make their own determinations.