Food The (not so) delicious food thread

I dunno about you guys, but I have this thing called climate control in my house. You guys should look into it, its pretty neat.
I don’t know about you, but I have this thing called “winter” where I live. It’s hard to keep a consistent temperature and humidity level when it’s -30C outside and a couple months later it’s 30C

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
I dunno about you guys, but I have this thing called climate control in my house. You guys should look into it, its pretty neat.
we'll see if my new HVAC is any better at humidity control, but the old one sucked.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
It's national Ranch day everybody! Let's get mid-western!

View attachment 17218
You know ranch was actually invented in Alaska and the hidden valley people are the actual inventors.

It's also not just a Midwest thing, after 1983 when shelf stable ranch was invented it became the best selling dressing in America.

I've honestly never tried it.

Last edited:
😂 I’ve actually bastardized another process to make it simpler
So I did bastardize it and it turned out okay. Still needs some work.

* Made dough
* Stuck it in its own fridge at 42F for two days
* Pulled it out and let it warm up for 60 minutes inside of an oven where I had dumped 5c water into a pan
* Removed from oven and preheated to 500F with cast iron pot inside
* While oven preheated, I lightly floured it and kneaded it a couple more times
* Once oven preheated, turned down to 450F and baked for 30 minutes with the lid on
* Done

It turned out a little dark on the bottom and the crumb was a bit uneven, but I'm wondering if that won't even out a bit more if I tried a 450F oven. I was quite shocked how quickly it was done. And just having the big, hot, heavy lid on top provided some great browning.

I also forgot to score the bread (or whatever the fuck its called), but whatever. Overall, I was kinda surprised how well it turned out.

uy5hK8G.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: gee, ZRH and tre
I'd prefer to just make my own. Way more rewarding and cost effective. That said, I don't do it that often.
When I was a kid I was obsessed with making bread. I had "the complete book of breads" and would make barley bread and rye bread and I got really good at rye bread.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly