Food The (not so) delicious food thread

Is the beef jerky worth the time? I bought a dehydrator to make snacks since we are home all the time. I mostly make dried fruit for the kids. I intended to do more vegetables for my own snacking, but it just doesn't do it for me. I could mess with some jerky, but it seems expensive and time consuming for the yield.
It's way cheaper and better to make yourself.

Just buy a cheap shitty beef roast. A lean one like eye of round is best if you're not gonna be refrigerating it for a while because the fat makes it spoil quicker. If you're gonna just put it in the fridge and pig out on it over the next couple days, fattier is definitely tastier. Cut it into 1/8" thick flats/strips/whatever, marinate it, dehydrate it. Some people say you should freeze the roast before you slice it... just use a sharp knife and refrigerator temperature is fine.

And it's fun to fuck around with different recipes. Last night's jerky was a vietnamese-ish one I threw together with hoisin sauce, sriracha, lime juice, peanut butter and a bit of fish sauce and it came out excellent. Before that I made a massman curry one. Epic Meal Time has a cheeseburger jerky recipe on their youtube channel which I've made a bunch of times and is surprisingly good.

Is the beef jerky worth the time? I bought a dehydrator to make snacks since we are home all the time. I mostly make dried fruit for the kids. I intended to do more vegetables for my own snacking, but it just doesn't do it for me. I could mess with some jerky, but it seems expensive and time consuming for the yield.
Jerky is cool in the dehydrator.

Yeah, some things are fucked after drying - we dry tons of stuff and have two identical units so we can switch trays,etc.
Melon: watermelow and green fleshed honeydews are like cotton candy melting in your mouth.
Orange flesh muskmelow are like eating ass that was sprayed with 409.
Blueberries - good for snacking, great for baking/pancakes since the color and flavor usually won't get a chance to leach out.
Grapes that weren't getting eaten but aren't rotten - fucking awesome, that is not a raisen.
ZUccini - sucks. Fresh green beans - can be quite decent.
Any thing from onion family is awesome.
Cranberries - slightly leather and hollow! Yeah, all the flesh migrates toward the skin. Weird AF.
Apple,pear,plums all work. Most citrus is horrible.

Jerky is cool in the dehydrator.

Yeah, some things are fucked after drying - we dry tons of stuff and have two identical units so we can switch trays,etc.
Melon: watermelow and green fleshed honeydews are like cotton candy melting in your mouth.
Orange flesh muskmelow are like eating ass that was sprayed with 409.
Blueberries - good for snacking, great for baking/pancakes since the color and flavor usually won't get a chance to leach out.
Grapes that weren't getting eaten but aren't rotten - fucking awesome, that is not a raisen.
ZUccini - sucks. Fresh green beans - can be quite decent.
Any thing from onion family is awesome.
Cranberries - slightly leather and hollow! Yeah, all the flesh migrates toward the skin. Weird AF.
Apple,pear,plums all work. Most citrus is horrible.

Apparently dehydrated watermelon takes on a very meat-like texture ive heard.

We do tomatoes and peppers primarily, but have also done herbs for seasoning in soups and stuff

Apparently, ehydrated watermelon takes on a very meat-like texture ive heard.

We do tomatoes and peppers primarily, but have also done herbs for seasoning in soups and stuff
Meatlike - impossible. See, even if you cut it 1" thick, it drys down to almost paper thin. Then it is a little chewy and very sweet. Give it a try - homemade fruit rollup .
I've ground about 90% of my dried tomatoes to powder. Much easier for me to use on a regular basis. Zuccini powder is decent for that too.
And obviously? I dry lots of mushrooms.
AH - pumpkin crack. Mash pumpkin, add all the stuff for pumpkin pie except the eggs.

Made some stuffed bell peppers last night that might be worthy of at least a passing acknowledgement from my one true love Lidia Bastianich.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm humouring Joe tonight and will try eating the noodle tofu stir fry pie he's finally making. I've managed to talk him out of it for 2 nights but he's so down today I figure this might make us laugh. If we don't vomit.
Seems like it could be delish - but I don't know JOe's cooking skills. My understanding is the bar is pretty low over there.:p
Eat - vomit

Seems like it could be delish - but I don't know JOe's cooking skills. My understanding is the bar is pretty low over there.:p
Eat - vomit

Joe's gotten good at cooking since covid and being able to work from home, not that he'll admit that but he barely cooked before and now he has dozens of cook books and can do all sorts of things, but his speciality is Indian food and breads these days.

I'm not holding out for this one being up to much but if it's revolting he's paying for takeout :lol: I'll post an update when it's here...

• Haha
Darned awesome Indian neighbors(we love them). We're on an Indian food high and had to fuel our addiction further with $50 of Indian food. Spivey and delicious!

Joe's gotten good at cooking since covid and being able to work from home, not that he'll admit that but he barely cooked before and now he has dozens of cook books and can do all sorts of things, but his speciality is Indian food and breads these days.

I'm not holding out for this one being up to much but if it's revolting he's paying for takeout :lol: I'll post an update when it's here...
I wonder what he says about your cooking at places you don't go . . . . .

I wonder what he says about your cooking at places you don't go . . . . .
Oh I say this about his cooking with him present too.
I met him with the same cooking skills I have now, in that I've fended for myself cooking fresh meals since 16 and on a tight budget. I'm a damn good vegetarian cook but have never really cooked meat or fish.

• Gravy
Oh I say this about his cooking with him present too.
I met him with the same cooking skills I have now, in that I've fended for myself cooking fresh meals since 16 and on a tight budget. I'm a damn good vegetarian cook but have never really cooked meat or fish.
Same-same except the meat. Mom was in a car crash when I was 15 and I was "it". My wife has probably cooked 50-70 meals in 17 years. She is a decent cook, I'm just better. Plus she is slow as hell - I'm like the Asian guy cooking the meal on the table in front or you. "Sorry, sorry, that my finger, not shrimp."
Gratuitous accent mocking - I suck.