Food The (not so) delicious food thread

Social isolation sourdough - today is whole wheat sourdough baking.

View attachment 11093
I made cheese curds! Glen and Friends video method. Used store bought cultured buttermilk instead of mesophilic culture, calcium carbonate from the homebrew store, old rennet a co-worker had that was probably a year expired, and homo milk from the grocery store.

I don't think I got enough whey out of them, as they're soft and not all that chewy/squeaky, but hey, still edible. I'll tool up a bit better next time and try again.

Got some cheap frozen french fries and a can of St Hubert poutine sauce ready to go later tonight.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
K5sEQCw.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
End result!

I used buttermilk instead of a mesophilic culture, and apparently didn't ripen it enough, as there wasn't a whole lot of cheesy tangy flavor. 24 hours later they're still squeaky (hell, they've probably gotten squeakier) which kinda indicates that there wasn't much acid in there, again indicative of not ripening enough. Also it doesn't melt right, seems like I need more calcium. I'll try again with a proper culture and some adjustments.

Tempted to try making some other random cheese now. Gavin Webber's youtube channel looks great.

End result!

I used buttermilk instead of a mesophilic culture, and apparently didn't ripen it enough, as there wasn't a whole lot of cheesy tangy flavor. 24 hours later they're still squeaky (hell, they've probably gotten squeakier) which kinda indicates that there wasn't much acid in there, again indicative of not ripening enough. Also it doesn't melt right, seems like I need more calcium. I'll try again with a proper culture and some adjustments.

Tempted to try making some other random cheese now. Gavin Webber's youtube channel looks great.
Do you have a recipe or just follow the YT?

• Gravy
Do you have a recipe or just follow the YT?
YT recipe with two tweaks:

- scaled recipe for 4L of store bought homogenized milk vs 8L of "good" milk. Divided everything by 2.
- used 1/4c of cultured buttermilk vs the mesophilic culture

I used my "sans francs sous vide" setup with the thermocouple straight in the milk. Probably would have been easier to just do it stovetop using the double boiler setup that Glen there had on the go... I'd say if you can copy his double boiler setup and poke your Anova stick between the two pots, that'd be easy.

• Gravy
whipped up some carne asada marinade this morning and threw some steaks in it for burritos this afternoon.

olive oil/soy sauce base with fresh orange and lime juice, some garlic, cilantro, cumin, pepper, and a diced jalapeño.

Looking forward to dinner, gonna serve it with some pico and guac.