Food The (not so) delicious food thread

I sprayed 30 gallons of spinosad on my treeline like a month back. For years ive had these fuckers

bagworms-on-juniper.jpg

Bagworms, that can denude a 20 foot tall tree in a week if you leave them be.

It was great to go around squeezing their little houses, and rather than feeling a squish, knowing htere was a worm camping out in there, to find them dry and empty knowing that the worms never made it home and the spinosad got them when they were out feeding.

I think i can probably eradicate them for good with this method
Seems for your area you would have sprayed in early June. July is considered too late even in Michigan. You'll keep having them "for years" if you don't hit them hard, much earlier. Basically, you want to get insecticide on the trees soon as the larvae appear(probably Memorial Day for your area) if not before. Otherwise, in the process of making their first piece of silk a large number of them get wind-tossed to other plants which they can feed on just fine, so you really need to hit at least a 10'-15' area around them unless mowed grass. Deciduous plants survive bagworms because they start fresh every year - but the BWs do prefer evergreen.
No links given - Googling "bagworm lifecycle" will confirm the above.

Seems for your area you would have sprayed in early June. July is considered too late even in Michigan. You'll keep having them "for years" if you don't hit them hard, much earlier. Basically, you want to get insecticide on the trees soon as the larvae appear(probably Memorial Day for your area) if not before. Otherwise, in the process of making their first piece of silk a large number of them get wind-tossed to other plants which they can feed on just fine, so you really need to hit at least a 10'-15' area around them unless mowed grass. Deciduous plants survive bagworms because they start fresh every year - but the BWs do prefer evergreen.
No links given - Googling "bagworm lifecycle" will confirm the above.
you're doing your thing again.

Theyre dead.

I timed it right.

you're doing your thing again.

Theyre dead.

I timed it right.
You're doing YOUR thing again - making excuses for being late AF and not learning enough about them. You're trusting your gut.

They're not dead, they are mummified and have shrunk greatly as they needed to for the male to mate with them. He sticks a big piece of his body into HER cocoon to fertilizer. The males never had a coccon. The females don't leave their coccon to go feed(as you suggested) - they carry with them until they think it's time to lock down.

Go needlessly flip some software would ya. GFC - how do you get anything done?

I mean, isn't he always going to have issues with them? It's not like he can kill all the bagworms inside a four state area. They will come back, no matter what time of year you spray.
No, they move very slowly, since the females never fly anywhere. He could kill them back well and then it might be minimal damage for years. DUde let them eat his shit ALL summer. :lol: He was busy with important stuff from what I read.

I was really gonna try not to engage here, but bagworms are weird. Only the males (i think) fly, and they only can fly about 5-10 feet. So you really can get rid of them locally as long as you're 10 feet excluded