Food The (not so) delicious food thread

Indoor: did an early harvest because one of the plants got bud rot and didn't want it to spread. Trichomes were cloudy but to the point of faint amber as I like 'em. Still a decent yield though and the outcome was fantastic.

Outdoor: fighting powdery mildew right now. Sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide last night, waiting for potassium bicarbonate to arrive in the mail. Probably coming down in a few weeks.
mildews are a bitch. Since you're gonna be inhaling shit, gotta keep it as neutral as possible. Tea tree or neem oil seem to work well for me, as do the mechanical removals (like you're about to do, bubbles the mildew right off). Be sure you get hte undersides of leaves too.

I've got piles of citric acid for food stuff... gonna dig into that, lots of people doing it. Thanks!
I was out stocking up on 1/2 gallon jars . . . bought the fuckers out. And bought some citric acid.:cool:
mildews are a bitch. Since you're gonna be inhaling shit, gotta keep it as neutral as possible. Tea tree or neem oil seem to work well for me, as do the mechanical removals (like you're about to do, bubbles the mildew right off). Be sure you get hte undersides of leaves too.
Tea tree makes weed taste bogus - some people burn the oil in a lamp or such and claim the smoke kills mildew. Neem is banned in Canada - as well it should be.
I thought you liked gee, why you trying to kill him? :)

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Just learned something new and imo, slightly trippy - most citric acid is GROWN on black mold that is feeding on corn syrup. It then gives off some exudate which is acidic. Damn, science is so cool!

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Just learned something new and imo, slightly trippy - most citric acid is GROWN on black mold that is feeding on corn syrup. It then gives off some exudate which is acidic. Damn, science is so cool!
Link? It's pretty easy to make at home, which makes me think they probably have factories that make it out of raw ingredients.

Link? It's pretty easy to make at home, which makes me think they probably have factories that make it out of raw ingredients.

Not sure how it get more basic than feeding sugar to mold. Albeit, it is a GMO mold.

If you mean making at home from lemon juice, calcium chloride, sodium hydroxide liquid and sulfuric acid. nah, costly and time consuming. I got a 1 lb. of the crap as powder concentrate for $16. Took the spare time, circled past last year's spot, picked 3-4 lb. of super fresh/tender chicken-of-the-woods. I left some for the other guy but he didn't do that for me. I may go back and raid the whole thing. f'm!

Not sure how it get more basic than feeding sugar to mold. Albeit, it is a GMO mold.

If you mean making at home from lemon juice, calcium chloride, sodium hydroxide liquid and sulfuric acid. nah, costly and time consuming. I got a 1 lb. of the crap as powder concentrate for $16. Took the spare time, circled past last year's spot, picked 3-4 lb. of super fresh/tender chicken-of-the-woods. I left some for the other guy but he didn't do that for me. I may go back and raid the whole thing. f'm!
A large factory will have access to easier chemicals than you, and it can't be that complex. I'm guessing that process is *much* easier than growing it in some sort of bioreactor. I'm welcome to be proven wrong though.

edit: According to Wikipedia, I am indeed wrong. That's crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Yeah I bought a giant bag of citric acid from a food wholesaler. Then I forgot I had it and bought another bag.

It's a pretty simple chemical compound and whether or not it's produced from some kind of GMO organism, who cares. You don't want to know how soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and 10000 other food products are made if that shit scares ya.

• Gravy
A large factory will have access to easier chemicals than you, and it can't be that complex. I'm guessing that process is *much* easier than growing it in some sort of bioreactor. I'm welcome to be proven wrong though.

edit: According to Wikipedia, I am indeed wrong. That's crazy.
You're a good man, despite all disparaging remarks I've made in the past about you.:) Yeah, it is crazy. Mushrooms do something similar, they exude low-proof alcohol. Probably 1/3 of the insect population would die without that occasional nip. *THis reminds me of a gal my brother used to date, chemical engineer - she patented a simple process in the early 80s that cut the cost of making bleach about in half. She sold the patent for millions, lives on a fucking yacht - I hope the thought burns him badly. :lol:

@Domon & @gee - so, reading more, royalqueenseeds(big cannabis seed co.) says Neem is the bomb, just don't use it for the flowering phase. That's the rub - last couple of weeks is when you desperately need that, because the buds have gotten so tight and compact it's the perfect environment for mold to grow. Seems like it's citric or peroxide. The whole convo got me off my ass, went out and put the clear tarp over my grow-op, turned on the oscillating fan in the corner(understand, my plants are naked as chicken's legs for first 4-4.5' from the ground so air circulation is awesome). They just got their last sip of Epsom salts and molassas. See you in October, ladies!

20210921_130735.jpg

neem oil is awesome. It nipped my indoor pest problem in the bud tout suite.
I ALWAYS bring some fucking scale insects inside in the fall(several large plants go outside) - Neem for great for that. It IS good shit. Just not something you'd wanna vape or pour into the aromatherapy heater :)

You're a good man, despite all disparaging remarks I've made in the past about you.:) Yeah, it is crazy. Mushrooms do something similar, they exude low-proof alcohol. Probably 1/3 of the insect population would die without that occasional nip. *THis reminds me of a gal my brother used to date, chemical engineer - she patented a simple process in the early 80s that cut the cost of making bleach about in half. She sold the patent for millions, lives on a fucking yacht - I hope the thought burns him badly. :lol:

@Domon & @gee - so, reading more, royalqueenseeds(big cannabis seed co.) says Neem is the bomb, just don't use it for the flowering phase. That's the rub - last couple of weeks is when you desperately need that, because the buds have gotten so tight and compact it's the perfect environment for mold to grow. Seems like it's citric or peroxide. The whole convo got me off my ass, went out and put the clear tarp over my grow-op, turned on the oscillating fan in the corner(understand, my plants are naked as chicken's legs for first 4-4.5' from the ground so air circulation is awesome). They just got their last sip of Epsom salts and molassas. See you in October, ladies!

View attachment 14951
Yep, I'm in the flowering phase right now. Fuck the hippies, I'm gonna stick to peroxides and citrates and bicarbonates and all the chemicals.

• Gravy
Spinosad is awesome too. We had some caterpillars that didn't care about neem, but a few doses of spinosad and they were not to be found.
I sprayed 30 gallons of spinosad on my treeline like a month back. For years ive had these fuckers

bagworms-on-juniper.jpg

Bagworms, that can denude a 20 foot tall tree in a week if you leave them be.

It was great to go around squeezing their little houses, and rather than feeling a squish, knowing htere was a worm camping out in there, to find them dry and empty knowing that the worms never made it home and the spinosad got them when they were out feeding.

I think i can probably eradicate them for good with this method

• Gravy