Food The (not so) delicious food thread

As usual, James May is more concise and accurate than I am about how the both of us feel about impossible burgers:

TLDW: it's a good burger, that is different from beef, and that's fine.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Haven't tried an impossible burger yet. Burger King sells them but then I'm going to Burger King.

The A&W Beyond burger is pretty good though. It's not the same as beef but it's good in its own right. A little more salty than I like is my only complaint.

Starch levels probably got you. Better flours use the same types of wheat, consistently. Maybe they even vet batches from different farms, testing it on the spot , "nah, ain't buying this shit!". Have never been happy with my Aldi purchases - never, ever the same thing twice.
So we got flour snobs now too?
Grandma didn't know what protein % was in the damn flour and everything came out fine.

Are there any sorts of snobs we don't have?
Serious question as I might be able to bring one in to fill in the blanks.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
So we got flour snobs now too?
Grandma didn't know what protein % was in the damn flour and everything came out fine.

Are there any sorts of snobs we don't have?
Serious question as I might be able to bring one in to fill in the blanks.
Not flour snobs. Just recognizing that some brands are more consistent. Store brands aren't so your result isn't as consistent. Everything came out fine but they didn't come out as consistently. Sometimes Grandma was surprised or disappointed. Some new things really are better.

Add. I don't care much about flour. Don't use much and like Grandma, don't cook much where it is mission critical. Shit is WHite Death imo.

What kind of a damn community has flour snobs christ man.
Any community that has someone passionate about something is going to have your definition of a "snob" in it. They aren't snobs, they want something that they can count on, be it their car starting properly, their bread rising the right way, or humanely getting insects out of their rafters.
They aren't snobs.

Maybe if some of us wanted to live inside of an indoor barnyard like you do they wouldn't get called snobs by you.

• Gravy
Any community that has someone passionate about something is going to have your definition of a "snob" in it. They aren't snobs, they want something that they can count on, be it their car starting properly, their bread rising the right way, or humanely getting insects out of their rafters.
They aren't snobs.

Maybe if some of us wanted to live inside of an indoor barnyard like you do they wouldn't get called snobs by you.

You and I seem to have different definitions of both passionate and snob. Especially "passionate" which I don't think any person can have for any other thing that isn't a living creature with a heartbeat and lungs and eats and drinks and shits and stuff.
Great interest in inanimate objects, ok. Passion, no.
Passion is another one of many words that once had great and important meaning but has been severely diluted over time such that people apply it to things it should never be applied to.

• Gravy
You and I seem to have different definitions of both passionate and snob. Especially "passionate" which I don't think any person can have for any other thing that isn't a living creature with a heartbeat and lungs and eats and drinks and shits and stuff.
Great interest in inanimate objects, ok. Passion, no.
Passion is another one of many words that once had great and important meaning but has been severely diluted over time such that people apply it to things it should never be applied to.
I'm with you that passion is over-used as a word. But people at this time in history can be more "passionate"(resembling the loving feelings between sentient beings) about their interests, they can have an online persona, maybe have a business related to it or just buy stuff, make their life all about their "passion".
idk, passion seems to be a sliding scale, same as slob.
I'm only up to take a night crap. :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
I'm with you that passion is over-used as a word. But people at this time in history can be more "passionate"(resembling the loving feelings between sentient beings) about their interests, they can have an online persona, maybe have a business related to it or just buy stuff, make their life all about their "passion".
idk, passion seems to be a sliding scale, same as slob.
I'm only up to take a night crap. :lol:
There needs to be a word (and there probably is) that describes an intense interest or "passion-like" focus in some thing that is not a living breathing thing.

Nobody has a "passion" for metal fabrication, or carpentry, or healthcare, or computer language, or flour for that matter. They may have a very intense interest in it, but not a passion.

Actually healthcare shouldn't be in that post. That actually is something a person could have a passion for.

There needs to be a word (and there probably is) that describes an intense interest or "passion-like" focus in some thing that is not a living breathing thing.

Nobody has a "passion" for metal fabrication, or carpentry, or healthcare, or computer language, or flour for that matter. They may have a very intense interest in it, but not a passion.
The list below all came up as synonyms of passion. You seem passionate about this sir. :D A word that isn't on this list is perseverate, that is, persevering unreasonably beyond the stimulus. Seems you are perseverating on this. Of course, this assumes there is a "reasonable man" standard. :)

Anywho, the list. And oddly, interest isn't on it.

The list below all came up as synonyms of passion. You seem passionate about this sir. :D A word that isn't on this list is perseverate, that is, persevering unreasonably beyond the stimulus. Seems you are perseverating on this. Of course, this assumes there is a "reasonable man" standard. :)

Anywho, the list. And oddly, interest isn't on it.
Good call on perseverate and perseverating, those are good descriptors and been a long time since I found occasion for their use. Good call, sir.

Your list describes strong feelings both positive and negative but things like fervor probably come closest to what some people mistakenly label as passion.

• Gravy