Food The (not so) delicious food thread

If you compare apples to apples, that simply isn't true.

Eating McDonalds is cheaper than buying and cooking your own steak obviously. But any food that you actually prepare (not some box shit) will be more expensive to eat out.
This.

I can’t take my family out for anything but little ceasars pizza For less than 30 bucks. And that’s fast food. Vary rarely do I come close to spending that on cooking dinner at home. Most home cooked meals cost between 10-15 for all 6 of us.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
This article misses the cultural nuance that your fast food and eating out is much more frequent than the average Briton. It talks about how much food people spend to have food at home. The majority of people in the UK do not eat out often. My experience with almost everyone I've ever known in the states is that eating out happens a helluva lot. Eating out for you is, from what I've tested in lots of states, cheaper than buying fresh for home. Our eating out is very expensive in comparison.
I agree that Americans eat out a terribly lot. Not sure it's cheaper than eating at home if you compared on quality. We don't eat out much - maybe once per month when you combine fast food and sit-down dining. I'm not sure how the food at home could be cheaper there when we are producing more than 30% of what you folks are eating at home. All that shipping and handling, export fees. Not many foods that can't be grown profitably in the Americas - rather limited in the UK due to atmospheric conditions(haze), short days, low light, low elevations and generally too much rain.

Got a couple trays worth of combo rib/center pork chops curing in the amazingribs.com brown sugar bacon recipe.

I'm gonna smoke them and grill them next weekend. Hoping for a bone-in thick-cut bacon kind of outcome.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Got a couple trays worth of combo rib/center pork chops curing in the amazingribs.com brown sugar bacon recipe.

I'm gonna smoke them and grill them next weekend. Hoping for a bone-in thick-cut bacon kind of outcome.
Update: Grilled them on the campfire instead of smoking them. Came out more hammy than bacony, good but maybe not what I was expecting.

But then I cut up a couple leftover ones, and threw them on buns with some mayo, honey mustard and swiss cheese, and that shit was excellent.

Got to go to the store in a while, any suggestions for a recipe to use for dinner?
Bone-in chicken thighs/legs/whatever.
Dust in your favorite dry rub.
1 hour at 250F on a foil lined cookie sheet to soften it up real nice. Start basting them once grease starts to render out.
Then crank the heat to finish/crisp up the skin, or grill them.
Serve with whatever on the side.

Or do it with a whole chicken.