Food The (not so) delicious food thread

I was more responding to fly to be honest. Nobody here eats pasture raised beef. And even if they do the whole planet is going on fire because of it. Taste buds don't matter.
Umm, its not to hard to do in the US. We have a farmer friend who has more ground beef than he knows what to do with. Hell, even Coscto sells Florida sourced organic ground beef.

There's also a ton of sustainable ways to raise beef. I'm guessing you're probably too closed-minded to listen to Joel Saladin on Joe Rogan, but if not, he's had some really interesting and educational podcasts about the topic.

Either way, the taste of it is a valid question - because I haven't found any that I like.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
I was more responding to fly to be honest. Nobody here eats pasture raised beef. And even if they do the whole planet is going on fire because of it. Taste buds don't matter.
I eat pasture raised beef, because it's what they grow here in farm country NS. We don't have any of the big Cargill style, high density feedlot bullshit that goes on out west and in the US, it's all smaller farms.

And it's not uncommon to be driving through the valley and and see a mob of cows gorging on a big pile of apples or carrots or whatever else got discarded from some other farm. They've got it pretty good here.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Miles of corn, soyboeans, wheat and hay here . . . I can buy pasture raised about 1 km up the road. Or at a number of local groceries.
Why do human taste buds have the be that important? Why give a shit if something tastes 10% better or worse.
Was this a British apologist thing because of all the complaints regarding British cooking? :lol:
We are in the delicious food thread - something different makes something more delicious.

Anthony Bourdain Food GIF

You could get something up to 20% better if you usually get the crap. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
Here's the shit to be concerned about if you're gonna bitch about farming.

"Yeah, we keep driving the water table lower and lower every year, putting other farmers out of business that do sensible irrigation practices, and eventually there's gonna be no water and a great big dust bowl, but who cares"

• Gravy
Miles of corn, soyboeans, wheat and hay here . . . I can buy pasture raised about 1 km up the road. Or at a number of local groceries.

Was this a British apologist thing because of all the complaints regarding British cooking? :lol:
We are in the delicious food thread - something different makes something more delicious.

Anthony Bourdain Food GIF

You could get something up to 20% better if you usually get the crap. :)
oh man, I almost forgot that @Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski is British. Yeah, complaining that people like food that tastes good is definitely quintessentially British.

• Gravy
oh man, I almost forgot that @Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski is British. Yeah, complaining that people like food that tastes good is definitely quintessentially British.
In her defense, farmland is much more at a premium in EU so food costs more, probably leading to lower expectations since the cook can't afford to dabble as much. Almost Dickinsonian. Whenever we've had relatives visiting from Europe they rave about the food variety here.

In her defense, farmland is much more at a premium in EU so food costs more, probably leading to lower expectations since the cook can't afford to dabble as much. Almost Dickinsonian. Whenever we've had relatives visiting from Europe they rave about the food variety here.
And in the meantime, people like Jeremy Clarkson are trying to be farmers, and failing at it.

• Haha
This is exceptionally incorrect. Especially around food prices. Your food costs an absolute fortune to buy and cook fresh compared to here.

This is exceptionally incorrect. Especially around food prices. Your food costs an absolute fortune to buy and cook fresh compared to here.
This BBC article(granted 3 years old) indicates you are exceptionally incorrect. It's all the imported stuff killing the numbers, since there isn't sufficient land to grow enough to feed the population of GB. Our prices would be even lower but for all the foreign competition for our domestically grown foodstuffs. You buying the wheat grown up the road from me makes MY bread cost more. :mad:

Last edited:
That's quite a lark. He has actually done organic veg growing for many decades quietly without publicising it. Him putting on an oafish persona to get paid seems to work quite well for him though, especially since you seem to fall for it.
It's my understanding he makes no money off the veg growing but plenty from the associated fancy products. Like his honey "Bee Juice" - it's about 3.5X what I can get locally produced organic honey for. He's no farmer, it's just a fancy farm store and resturant. His 40 tonnes of potatoes story - he acheived about 1/10 the production of a normal nit-wit growing potatoes, on the amount of land he used. And then he let 38 tonnes rot :lol:
He's always hired people to do the real work - dude can't even handle an afternoon with a chainsaw. Probably hires 3 guys for that - one to sharpen the chain, one to tension the chain, the third actually uses it. oh bloody hell - we need a 4th bloke to feed it oil and petrol.
I like it when he talks cars.

This BBC article(granted 3 years old) indicates you are exceptionally incorrect. It's all the imported stuff killing the numbers, since there isn't sufficient land to grow enough to feed the population of GB. Our prices would be even lower but for all the foreign competition for our domestically grown foodstuffs. You buying the wheat grown up the road from me makes MY bread cost more. :mad:
This article misses the cultural nuance that your fast food and eating out is much more frequent than the average Briton. It talks about how much food people spend to have food at home. The majority of people in the UK do not eat out often. My experience with almost everyone I've ever known in the states is that eating out happens a helluva lot. Eating out for you is, from what I've tested in lots of states, cheaper than buying fresh for home. Our eating out is very expensive in comparison.

• Gravy