Food The (not so) delicious food thread

@Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

I just heard of cheese and pickle sandwiches. I am intrigued. Can you shed any light on these specimens of British cuisine?
Pickles in a different way to gherkin pickles as you might think. The pickle is generally pickled onions in a sweet brown sugar sauce. Look up Branston pickle for a look - is there anything comparable?
It makes for a very good sandwich.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
I forget @wetwillie et al were not present for sandwichgate
I was here for one. Or maybe that was just the follow-up fight, like Trumpers still going on about how they need to grab control of the government?

That Branston shit sounds awesome - basically a chutney or spicey, savory jam. I cooked something a bit like that the other day . . . .fried rutabaga chunks with browned onions and carrots and barbeque sauce. And steak chunkers. ;) *Branston's contains rutabaga, onions, carrots and pickles.

Fair. It sounds kinda like what might happen if the cook at a dive bar had to make something on odds and ends.
At the same time, I've got some really good cheese and some really sour pickles, so I kinda wonder if it can be made into something.
Cheese and pickles are two of the dominant flavors in a real good cheeseburger.

And pickled jalapenos/banana peppers work fabulous in a grilled cheese, and in queso.

I'll go on record as hating pickles of any sort on a burger. But I like most pickles.
Cheese and pickles are two of the dominant flavors in a real good cheeseburger.

And pickled jalapenos/banana peppers work fabulous in a grilled cheese, and in queso.
Love me some peppers - explains the almost 100 plants each year :drool:

Ran another set of impossible patties for burgers last night, and fucking hell, I really like them.

I think those are going to be my go-to for burgers now. I wonder how it works in burritos...
we tried the beyond burgers on the 4th.... theyre not as good. It tastes like if someone described a hamburger to someone, whod never eaten a hamburger themselves

we tried the beyond burgers on the 4th.... theyre not as good. It tastes like if someone described a hamburger to someone, whod never eaten a hamburger themselves
I've had beyond, and I agree. I've had black bean patties, and they give me wicked gas.

The impossible patties just work for me, though.

Economically, it's a wash, as impossible meat is about the same as what I'd pay for local pasture-raised beef from the butcher.

It's slightly less expensive if I go with a whole yearling butchered on the hoof, but it's easier to plan in the moment and just grab some impossible patties out of the meat section at the store.