Food The (not so) delicious food thread

As you know nonstick coating causes cancer. The wife cheats and uses one when she fries an egg but I always use CI for breffust.
it absolutely does not. PTFEs have been gone for the better part of a decade, and those were only a problem when you got the pan way way hotter than it was ever intended to be (or could be on most stoves)

As you know nonstick coating causes cancer. The wife cheats and uses one when she fries an egg but I always use CI for breffust.
Only if you get the pan hot enough to burn the coating.

Take good care of the pan and watch the temperature and replace it if you burn the coating, you're in the clear.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Now, PFOA (and possibly GenX) are horrible compounds, which are used to emulsify the PTFE so they can spray coat it on the pan at the factory.

But they don't end up in the finished frying pan, they only pollute the groundwater around the factories that use it :/

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Only if you get the pan hot enough to burn the coating.

Take good care of the pan and watch the temperature and replace it if you burn the coating, you're in the clear.

The wife's been known to scorch a pan or two so I try not to fuck with it and have almost entirely eliminated it from our household.

It was eliminated from cookware in 2013 I just read. I started cooking with CI 6-7 years ago. It was still a valid concern then unless you think the entire supply of fucked up pans magically disappeared overnight. You could probably go to a flea market right now and still pick up the old ones.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Carbon steel is nice. If I had to start over, I'd buy them. But there is no good reason to replace my cast iron. We use them for almost everything, including eggs.

I know, right? Even the cheapest cast iron pan will out-perform any non-stick. The reason for wanting to try carbon steal is that the pans come in different shapes. Stir fry pans in particular. I don't have natural gas, so that's a moot point.

I know, right? Even the cheapest cast iron pan will out-perform any non-stick. The reason for wanting to try carbon steal is that the pans come in different shapes. Stir fry pans in particular. I don't have natural gas, so that's a moot point.
If you care, here's what ATK says

1612199994577.png

Current non-stick breakfast pan is a 12" Heritage "THE ROCK" pan that cost me 20 canadian pesos. I'm probably 1.5 years in and it's still working fine.

I'm sure they named that pan just so people can ask what the rock is cooking.

• Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain
Current non-stick breakfast pan is a 12" Heritage "THE ROCK" pan that cost me 20 canadian pesos. I'm probably 1.5 years in and it's still working fine.

I'm sure they named that pan just so people can ask what the rock is cooking.

I was gifted a Henckels/Zwilling one and it's pretty awesome. I love cast iron, but they are heavy. Doesn't stop me from having 4 of them however.

ATK = "here's how a bunch of people with no personality and a face for radio make bland food on TV".

It's terrible. The only ones with any personality are the light in the loafers dudes saying you need $40 to get a good spatula, and they're only memorable because they're irritating.

• Haha
Reactions: Valve1138
ATK = "here's how a bunch of people with no personality and a face for radio make bland food on TV".

It's terrible. The only ones with any personality are the light in the loafers dudes saying you need $40 to get a good spatula, and they're only memorable because they're irritating.

Today on white people cook!

They're scientists being forced to masquerade as TV personalities. That's why the magazines are awesome. All the super interesting details without needing to entertain the viewer.

That said, I still like the show.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
They're scientists being forced to masquerade as TV personalities. That's why the magazines are awesome. All the super interesting details without needing to entertain the viewer.

That said, I still like the show.

Must take a lot of science to make some boring ass white people food.

The few times they've done anything other than that they devise "shortcuts" which according to them are "delectable", because science, while grandmothers everywhere shake their heads.

Here's a $65 whisk. It's the best whisk.

That shit is the cooking equivalent of Dr. Oz or the my pillow guy or something.

• Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain