Is the "shock horror" movie trend ever going to end?

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
It seems like every 3rd movie released these days is some completely pointless shock horror movie which only aspires to be more graphic than the one released a week prior.

I would like to point out that I don't necessarily mind violence in movies. I think that there is a place for it in storytelling, but there is not a reason to dwell upon it. The current batch of movies (IMO) go to far. The entire Saw series is just a chain of sadistic events held loosely together by a plot that my 14 year old brother (who isn't even good at writing) could've matched easily in only 30 minutes of effort. Other movies briefly touch on the cliche' age old demon, abused-as-a-child psycopath, or some other lame concoction dreamt up by a second-year movie college student who thinks he's creative.

People are always willing to point a finger at video games for inspiring violence, what can be said about a movie that is essentially 2 hours of horrifically gory torture of innocent people?

I don't know, I'm just tired of seeing 5 movie previews and 3 of them are for upcoming silly blood-fests, and wanted to know what the rest of you thought.

Last edited:
I thought Saw sucked as well, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre... They just arent scary *sigh* Horror movies have never really done it for me though. The only ones I find interesting are the slightly offbeat kind: The Descent, The Exorcist (original), 28 Days, every other zombie movie ever made...

In my house though we dont exactly even watch them anymore, slackjaw style. My borthers and such will usually wander in, and someone will start a running tactical commentary on the actions of the protagonist. Then someone else will start shouting out random lines of improvised dialog.

E.g.:

"ZOMG!"
"*stabstab*"
"I know I'm naked, just tell me where the hotel is."
"I bet those guns are props"

etc.

What's that one coming out about the ventriloquist dummies and people getting their tongues ripped out or something? I saw that last night and laughed before changing the channel. And lest we forget the Hills Have Eyes 2, which desperately needed to be made, such was the demand for a continuation of THAT story.

:rolleyes:

What's that one coming out about the ventriloquist dummies and people getting their tongues ripped out or something? I saw that last night and laughed before changing the channel. And lest we forget the Hills Have Eyes 2, which desperately needed to be made, such was the demand for a continuation of THAT story.

:rolleyes:

See that's what I'm talking about. No effort whatsoever to actually entertain an audience. I imagine the greenlight meetings for such movies go something like:

Guy 1: Ok guys, we're going to use pretty much the same script as the other 4 movies we made this year except with a twist! This time it's scary looking old lady! And she rips people's tongues out!

Guy 2: Brilliant! You know what else we should do? Make a scary nursery rhyme for the trailer. Something with totally nonsensical lyrics but we'll have some creepy teenage emo girl do the voice over.

Guy 3: Awesome guys, good work! Now let's all get into our BMWs, go over to my place, download some Hentai, and whack eachother off.

Guy 2: Brilliant!

Last edited:
See that's what I'm talking about. No effort whatsoever to actually entertain an audience. I imagine the greenlight meetings for such movies go something like:

Guy 1: Ok guys, we're going to use pretty much the same script as the other 4 movies we made this year except with a twist! This time it's scary looking old lady! And she rips peoples tongues out!

Guy 2: Brilliant! You know what else we should do? Make a scary nursery rhyme for the trailer. Something with totally nonsensical lyrics but we'll have some creepy teenage emo girl do the voice over.

Guy 3: Awesome guys, good work! Now let's all get into our BMWs, go over to my place, download some Hentai, and whack eachother off.

you forgot it's been done before..

PUPPETMASTER 1-9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_Master_(movie)

Last edited:
I still think the worst ever horror trend is the 5 year old girl with long stringy black hair and gray skin walking around in that b.s. jerky cut-frame technique. I think it's currently appearing in every Japanese horror movie and of course every American remake of a Japanese horror movie. And that video game F.E.A.R. Enough is enough.

Guy 1: Ok guys, we're going to use pretty much the same script as the other 4 movies we made this year except with a twist! This time it's scary looking old lady! And she rips people's tongues out!

So long as Hollywood makes money off of the films. They will continue to be made. Just as Hollywood needs to find new ways to shock us. When I was growing up The Exorcist was considered very shocking. However it doesn't hold a candle to todays horror movie.

I thought Saw sucked as well, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre... They just arent scary *sigh* Horror movies have never really done it for me though. The only ones I find interesting are the slightly offbeat kind: The Descent, The Exorcist (original), 28 Days, every other zombie movie ever made...

In my house though we dont exactly even watch them anymore, slackjaw style. My borthers and such will usually wander in, and someone will start a running tactical commentary on the actions of the protagonist. Then someone else will start shouting out random lines of improvised dialog.

E.g.:

"ZOMG!"
"*stabstab*"
"I know I'm naked, just tell me where the hotel is."
"I bet those guns are props"

etc.

OMG OMG OMG you mispelled brothers!!!! HAHAHAHAH, I get to correct YOU!

man... you want pointless gore? someone posted that gif from Feast of that beast humping the chicks head before being blown up (flynavy i think). So i found a copy laying around and skimmed through it...

good lord. i dont think i could have sat through that movie. gore, gore and more gore. that was the plot i think. just lots of gore and funky beast animal humping.

I liked Hills Have Eyes, because the protagonist kicked ass.

Most horror flicks, I have to root for the 'evil' entities because the people are candyasses or retards, or both.

There were a couple other ones recently where the lead character whupped evil butt.

I still think a better ending would have been the only survivor was that bad ass German Shepard, and the last scene closed with him walking into the sunset. That dog was awsome!

As long as these movies have good special effects, I'll eat them up. I'm a sucker for that stuff.

man... you want pointless gore? someone posted that gif from Feast of that beast humping the chicks head before being blown up (flynavy i think). So i found a copy laying around and skimmed through it...

good lord. i dont think i could have sat through that movie. gore, gore and more gore. that was the plot i think. just lots of gore and funky beast animal humping.

Excellent, I'll check it out. That was the movie made as part of the last season of Project Greenlight.

i agree. i don't even glance at the "horror" movies' trailors anymore. i more like thrillers, and even then, it's hard to find one that scares me. i was scared by silence of the lambs and blair witch project (that left everything up to the imagination, and i have quite a big one.)

I suppose there is an element of the population that really likes these movies or else they would stop making them because they wouldn't make money. If everyone were entertained in the same way it would be a really boring world to live in. I don't personally want to watch slasher movies, but I know a lot of people who do. I'm glad they are amused. I did watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre because of Jessica Biel, but no amount of tight clothing could have made that film worth it.