Is It Just Me or Does This Parenting Style Kick Ace?

it's awesome. hopefully it was rough and scary and now he'll remember that when making choices down the road. :clap: to the momma.

it's awesome. hopefully it was rough and scary and now he'll remember that when making choices down the road. :clap: to the momma.

I have to agree with Thorn, I'm impressed with this mom. The things she is trying aren't working, so she's finding something that will. So many parents now a days won't take responsibility for their kids and won't admit to anybody that they are acting unacceptibally (spelling?) that it's nice to see someone who is doing something about it.

Yay for giving your child a criminal record that he/she now has to report on job applications. Parenting should not damage your child in the process. Besides, I don't want my tax dollars paying the police to deal with people's parenting issues rather than rounding up rapists and murderers.

Yay for giving your child a criminal record that he/she now has to report on job applications. Parenting should not damage your child in the process. Besides, I don't want my tax dollars paying the police to deal with people's parenting issues rather than rounding up rapists and murderers.

he's a minor...it's not on his record

I agree about the waste of resources though

It's about instilling values into the kids with negative reinforcement. If the parents can't do it, spending a little time with the cops would surely do it.

Better discipline him early while he's still impressionable or he will be wasting tax payers money later on in life mooching off the system while sitting in jail.

You can have values and ADHD at the same time.
Yeah, the problem is you have no impulse control among other things. Its like telling someone with Tourettes to stop ticking.

Edit : this is assuming he really has it. It does get over diagnosed and this kid just may be a douche.

Last edited:
It's about instilling values into the kids with negative reinforcement. If the parents can't do it, spending a little time with the cops would surely do it.

Better discipline him early while he's still impressionable or he will be wasting tax payers money later on in life mooching off the system while sitting in jail.

This is not negative reinforcement. Negative reinforcement is removing something aversive from a subject as reward for incremental approximations to shape behavior. This is punishment. There's a difference in that punishment is less effective because it's virtually impossible to control what behavior will replace it.

... Yeah I've been studying too hard for my psych final :p

In my jaded core, I like this because it will teach him that cops are a necessary evil, sometimes useful for real problems but mostly just meddling needlessly and causing problems.

I have to agree with Thorn, I'm impressed with this mom. The things she is trying aren't working, so she's finding something that will. So many parents now a days won't take responsibility for their kids and won't admit to anybody that they are acting unacceptibally (spelling?) that it's nice to see someone who is doing something about it.

6474577420635c0d.png

Firefox 2.0 spellchecks nurga

I have a standing policy for my kids when they get older: Don't hit them with objects or fists. Other than that the sky is limit. Headbutting, elbows to the eye socket, kneeing, kicking, headstomping, one day I'll use them all.

Just kidding...mostly.

I do plan on having a section of un-grassed dirt in my back yard that my kids will dig holes in as a form of punishment. The most serious punishment being to dig a hole as wide as the shovel and as deep as the shovel, then filling it back in.

Reminds me of Holes. God I hate that book. You should add it to part of your punishment.

If he truly has ADHD and meds don't work, sending him to jail does nothing other than waste taxpayer money.

Yeah, the problem is you have no impulse control among other things. Its like telling someone with Tourettes to stop ticking.

Edit : this is assuming he really has it. It does get over diagnosed and this kid just may be a douche.

:wtf: No impulse control? I think that stretches the condition too far.

Besides that, if both Ritalin and aderall don't work then I'd bet a pretty good amount of money that the kid doesn't have it. The only way for ADHD to be an acceptable medical excuse is as a chemical imbalance. Otherwise it's just a fancy way to say the kid is an ass that needs to be beaten the shit out of repeatedly.

:wtf: No impulse control? I think that stretches the condition too far. .
And I think you have no idea what you're talking about. The name for type 2 ADHD is "hyperactive-implusive". According the the NIMH, this includes :

"Impulsive children seem unable to curb their immediate reactions or think before they act. They will often blurt out inappropriate comments, display their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for the later consequences of their conduct. Their impulsivity may make it hard for them to wait for things they want or to take their turn in games. They may grab a toy from another child or hit when they're upset. Even as teenagers or adults, they may impulsively choose to do things that have an immediate but small payoff rather than engage in activities that may take more effort yet provide much greater but delayed rewards."

Its not a matter of knowing right or wrong, its a matter of having no way of controlling yourself. I roomed with a guy in college that had it. I probably would be skeptical as well if I hadn't experienced it first hand. The only thing I can compare it to is watching someone with Tourettes. 1 in 10 people with ADHD aren't helped by drugs at all, so its not impossible either that scripts didn't curb him.

Once again, this is assuming he really does have it. If he does and this is how the mom handles it, she's just a terrible mother. If he doesn't have it, the kid is a douchebag.

And I think you have no idea what you're talking about. The name for type 2 ADHD is "hyperactive-implusive". According the the NIMH, this includes :

"Impulsive children seem unable to curb their immediate reactions or think before they act. They will often blurt out inappropriate comments, display their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for the later consequences of their conduct. Their impulsivity may make it hard for them to wait for things they want or to take their turn in games. They may grab a toy from another child or hit when they're upset. Even as teenagers or adults, they may impulsively choose to do things that have an immediate but small payoff rather than engage in activities that may take more effort yet provide much greater but delayed rewards."

Its not a matter of knowing right or wrong, its a matter of having no way of controlling yourself. I roomed with a guy in college that had it. I probably would be skeptical as well if I hadn't experienced it first hand. The only thing I can compare it to is watching someone with Tourettes. 1 in 10 people with ADHD aren't helped by drugs at all, so its not impossible either that scripts didn't curb him.

Once again, this is assuming he really does have it. If he does and this is how the mom handles it, she's just a terrible mother. If he doesn't have it, the kid is a douchebag.

sigh

god I love the internet some days :rolleyes:

please read more carefully

I'm not really in the mood for an internet argument, so let's just stop.

In my jaded core, I like this because it will teach him that cops are a necessary evil, sometimes useful for real problems but mostly just meddling needlessly and causing problems.

If you think about it. The cops only come when someone calls them. Then they HAVE to do something, it's a requirement. If you dont want the cops meddling in your life dont do anything that would necessitate calling them. This is a perfect example of this. She is making her parenting problem EVERYONE'S problem by calling them.

Is why I said I bet the responding officers were thrilled. It's not 1940 when the sheriff could just give you a whippin' for being a pain in the ass.

For the record, depending on the state it might result in a permanent criminal record. Although it wont say what you did as a juvenile, it might say that there WERE juvenile offenses sans specifics.

are you kidding me? she called the cops because she wasn't doing the right thing.

He's been going through life doing things ... and getting away with it."

the dumbass was letting his kid get away with it..

You guys ever go to the grocery store and sometimes they have these jars for kids with all manner of diseases and you read on the jar about their lives and it's like one big sad story and then you think "I don't have time for this, the Jews have Bubbles, we've gotta get her out of there!"

are you kidding me? she called the cops because she wasn't doing the right thing.

what are you talking about? some kids just don't respond to parental discipline. she's making an effort to set her son straight. doesn't that effort count for something? i don't think you have any way of knowing what she was or wasn't doing. all i know for sure is the effort she gave in this example.

You guys ever go to the grocery store and sometimes they have these jars for kids with all manner of diseases and you read on the jar about their lives and it's like one big sad story and then you think "I don't have time for this, the Jews have Bubbles, we've gotta get her out of there!"

:lol: