Ontopic Iran is about to attempt the first real-world case of trolling....

In reality: We can board whatever we want because if someone doesn't like it we can just nuke them.

Right, because, you know, actively nuking opposition forces is nothing we have to worry about any ramifications about. It's just sheer coincidence that no one has used it since Nagasaki.

Plausibly: can board any ship within 200 miles of the coast for 'economic' reasons.

Explain to me how 'economic' reasons come into play with a sovereign military fleet. Remember us actually boarding Russian Military warships during the Cuban Missile crisis? You don't because we didn't, because if we even tried, the world would be a smoking dead husk right now.

Theoretically: it doesn't matter if it's international or territorial, ship is jurisdiction of whichever country it's flagged in and there is freedom of navigation right up to the beach.
Right. So, without any clearance, we can just sail a missle frigate into the waters of Russian, North Korea, Cuba, and not worry about it in the slightest, because there is freedom of navigation right up to the beach...

Seriously, I have to wonder where you came up with these... You are wrong across the board on every last bit.

Explain to me how 'economic' reasons come into play with a sovereign military fleet. Remember us actually boarding Russian Military warships during the Cuban Missile crisis? You don't because we didn't, because if we even tried, the world would be a smoking dead husk right now.
We haven't boarded any warships in the last 50 years (according to US navy). I'm going to guess it's because it's fairly unnecessary and high risk from a tactics perspective. The Coast Guard enforces US law in our 'exclusive economic zone' though, including boarding and inspecting ships, that is 200 miles except in some places. Economic can include anything including interfering with navigation, attempting to upset trade etc. Theoretically the 12 mile 'territorial' water limit allows for innocent passage, i.e. right up to the beach. It would never go down that way though.

Last edited:
We haven't boarded any warships in the last 50 years (according to US navy). I'm going to guess it's because it's fairly unnecessary and high risk from a tactics perspective. The Coast Guard enforces US law in our 'exclusive economic zone' though, including boarding and inspecting ships, that is 200 miles except in some places. Economic can include anything including interfering with navigation, attempting to upset trade etc. Theoretically the 12 mile 'territorial' water limit allows for innocent passage, i.e. right up to the beach. It would never go down that way though.

I think you are just not grasping the obvious. I'll repeat if for the 3rd time or so here.

Iran isn't sending cargo craft. They are warships. You don't just 'board' a the warship of a foreign power. Whatever you are going on about is 100% irrelevant, not related to this thread, and pointless.

Again, we are talking about WARSHIPS. Destroyers and Frigates with one purpose, being prepared for battle.

Theoretically, you are talking out your ass. There is zero chance the US would allow any foreign warship within the 200 mile international zone they claim unless the visit was arranged far in advance between the respective state departments. No need for your wrong theories when presented with that fact.

Richard Herrmann, director of the Mershon Center for International Security Studies at The Ohio State University said Iran's navy is too small with too miniscule a budget to remain for long off the U.S. coast.

"This is hard to take seriously because Iran's navy is very small. This force, whatever it may be, is going to be puny, especially compared to the U.S. Navy," said Herrmann, who specializes in the use of imagery and posturing in international conflicts. "Iran doesn't have the capability to come within close proximity to (the United States) to conduct hostile activities. Even if (Iran) launched missiles, we would sink their ships immediately."

Iran lacks battleships or aircraft carriers. Its forces are capable of patrolling the Persian Gulf and sailing a short distance in the Indian Ocean, Herrmann said, but keeping ships stationed near the United States, so far from Iran, would be too expensive for the government.

"They would need a place to resupply, refuel, restock crews with food and water. They couldn't afford that unless they got help," Herrmann said. "I would imagine they could get help from somewhere in South America, maybe Venezuela."

Venezuela and Iran are allied by their anti-U.S. sentiments.

Michael Connell, the director of the Iranian studies program at CNA, a Washington-area think tank that specializes in naval analyses, agreed with Herrmann.

"Their navy can't reach our coastline right now," Connell said, describing the Iranian announcement as "bombastic rhetoric."

"It's posturing" by Iran intended for both its domestic and regional audience, Connell said. Making such pronouncements projects a dominant role including naval power, whether or not they can back it up, he added.

"The Iranians have been historically annoyed that we have a naval presence in the Persian Gulf, which is kind of their backyard," Connell said.

The worst move the United States could make now would be to overreact, said John Mueller, the Woody Hayes Chair of National Security Studies at Mershon.

"Hopefully this won't play into (American) neo-cons who are itching for a war with Iran," he said. "The best thing to do is ignore it and treat it with the contempt it deserves. If Iran wants to waste their time and money on a dwindling supply of fuel (to keep ships) bobbing around in the Atlantic Ocean, then let them."

The idea of Iran moving ships near the U.S. coast is not on par with the Soviet Union once flying planes off the coast of Alaska during the Cold War, Mueller noted. The Soviets' move was legal, and was considered a gesture intended to irritate the United States, he said.

"Those were different circumstances and different players," Mueller added.

Herrmann cautioned that while moving ships near the U.S. coast may not be a real threat, Iran is certainly capable of harming the United States -- but closer to Iran.

Iran could attack U.S. ships in the Strait of Hormuz, which is a waterway between the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf, on the south coast of Iran. Such attacks could disrupt oil markets and scare American tourists, Herrmann said.

They probably have to sail past Somalia, and the pirates there may make this all moot anyhow.

I think you are just not grasping the obvious. I'll repeat if for the 3rd time or so here.

Iran isn't sending cargo craft. They are warships. You don't just 'board' a the warship of a foreign power. Whatever you are going on about is 100% irrelevant, not related to this thread, and pointless.

Again, we are talking about WARSHIPS. Destroyers and Frigates with one purpose, being prepared for battle.

Theoretically, you are talking out your ass. There is zero chance the US would allow any foreign warship within the 200 mile international zone they claim unless the visit was arranged far in advance between the respective state departments. No need for your wrong theories when presented with that fact.
I don't think YOU CAN READ.

I never said we were boarding these ships. I said and I quote:
We board ships in international water all the time. o_O Task Force 150 esp
Because WE DO. I didn't say which ships, I didn't say where, I didn't say which part of the government did it. I just said that it happens. I even posted a picture of it "happening."

Because WE DO. I didn't say which ships, I didn't say where, I didn't say which part of the government did it. I just said that it happens. I even posted a picture of it "happening."

Obviously you can't read. Otherwise, doosh, you wouldn't be going off on tangets that mean fucking nothing to the conversation.

Jesus you are such a faggot.

PS. I never said we were boarding, or that you said we were boarding.

You were arguing some retarded 'theoretical' 'practical' 'legal' crap on how it could happen. And I was flat out telling you that all of your 'hypothetical' situations were completely off base.

Obviously, you can't read.

Guess it sucks for you to be so completely wrong.

Go fuck your couch you long haired faggot.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person